Beginners and Beyond

Need race HM or longer 7/20 to 8/4 - suggestions? (Read 70 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm looking for a race in the HM to marathon distance in late July or early Aug, basically between Jul 20th and Aug 4th. I found the Triple Threat HM in Rockport, MA on my search. The only other race I've found so far that meets my criteria is the Presque Isle HM, since I won't run RnR events. Does anyone know anything about this race and are any of you near enough that an FE would be possible?

Anyone know of any other races on the East Coast or Mid-East regions in that time frame? something within a 7 hour drive of Philadelphia?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I know a few people who have run the Presque Isle half, and liked it. It's a pretty flat course. I think it's a smaller event (check last year's results to be sure). Be aware of the significant chance of high heat and humidity (but you probably already know that).

(edited to add: 949 finishers last year, so it isn't a tiny event)

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, that was only gonna be my only suggestion, George.  During the summer months, I try to get as close to the coast (west for me) as possible.  Preferably *IN* the dang water if at all possible.  Big grin Wink

Badwater type races are for people who are far more badass than I!!! Cool

Randy

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

aplodder or huenix could probably give you some info on the Allegheny Front Trail Run in Philipsburg, PA on July 27th.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Love the Half

The Kanawha Trace 50K/25K/10K trail race is on July 27th.  I've done the 50K before but I'm running in the 25K this year.  Here's a link to the web site for the race.

Kanawha Trace

BTW,  if you decide to do it and want a race partner, I'll be more than happy to join you or we can each run our own race.  Up to you as this is something more of a fun run in my training calendar.  I have planned to run hard but not flat out.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for the link, Brad. It looks like a fun race but not quite what I had in mind as a supported training run for NC 24. I haven't run trails in years and would be putting life and limb at risk on a course like that.

I've stumbled across another run that looks promising, The Endless Summer 6-Hour Run in Annapolis on July 27 put on by the Annapolis Striders. Anyone know anything about it? It's run on a 4-mile loop in Quiet Waters park.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Shoreline Half, Rochester NY - 7/20 (supposedly flat)

http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/shoreline-multisport-festival#Day1

Twin Reservoirs Half - Holyoke, MA - 7/21 (mentions challenging hills)

http://www.twinreservoirshm.com/

Essex Half Marathon - Essex Junction, VT - 7/28 (rolling dirt roads - also almost 7hr drive)

http://www.essexhalf.com/

If you want a trail event, one of our own PressEnter[] did this one last year and raved about it: August 3rd (6hrs)

http://www.moosalamooultra.com/index.html

(Oh I see you posted not wanting a trail run, but I'll leave it up in case anyone else wanders here looking for something similar!)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I don't know about that race specifically but I have raced a 5K in Quiet Waters park and it is a nice park. It is fairly flat, a few little inclines but no major hills, and assuming the 4 mile loop would be basically the same course as the 5K I ran, then the course will be almost entirely in the shade which would be helpful in the hot summer months.

Thanks for the link, Brad. It looks like a fun race but not quite what I had in mind as a supported training run for NC 24. I haven't run trails in years and would be putting life and limb at risk on a course like that.

I've stumbled across another run that looks promising, The Endless Summer 6-Hour Run in Annapolis on July 27 put on by the Annapolis Striders. Anyone know anything about it? It's run on a 4-mile loop in Quiet Waters park.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That Holyoke race reminds me of the Race of Champions Marathon I ran there back in June, 1970. It had a noon start and the last 4 miles were mostly uphill. Sad

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Eeek.  Noon in June?  That is so wrong.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Eeek.  Noon in June?  That is so wrong.

That was also 1970. A few years earlier it was the qualifying race for selecting the Pan American Games marathon team. The attrition rate was awful. I think something like 10 of the top 12 favorites dropped out. That was also the era when aid stations were non-existent. We've come a long way since then.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRS

Chasing Muses

George, it's a week earlier than your window, but the Grant-Pierce indoor marathon is 7/14 http://www.racepacket.com/tidalbasin/marathon.html

211 laps around an indoor track might be good training for NC24 Big grin

Trail Monster

Run with the Deer Flies 25k: http://www.indianaroadrunners.com/deerFly2009.htm

And obviously RnR Pittsburgh is a no. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

TakeAHike

If you want more of a supported training run than a race, NYRR might have just the thing for you.  July 27 in Central Park, they have an untimed, unscored event.  I have never done it, but the website says it is a supported run with pace groups.  Most people run 20 miles, but you can run more or less if you want.

It starts at 7AM, but you could get there on time if you leave home around 4AM.

http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2013/ing-new-york-city-marathon-long-training-run-1

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Love the Half

George, you are right that the profile on that course is no joke.  Mind you, it's not a bunch of ridiculous technical single track but it's no rail trail either and the elevation changes are pretty big.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).