Beginners and Beyond

The 2014 race count starts: Event 1: San Antonio RoadRunner Cobweb Chaser 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Well, I managed to break my 2012 record of 74 races by doing 75 races in 2013.   I doubt I will do that many in 2014, but I got started on the count with this one, my first running event of 2014.  Put on by my running club, San Antonio Roadrunners, the oldest running club in San Antonio, celebrating their 31st year this year.  The Cobweb Chaser started at 10 a.m on January 1st, allowing participants to sleep in a bit.  Since the run was at the largest city park in San Antonio, McAllister Park, I got to sleep in more than some others as the park is only a mile from my house. This was an untimed fun run, but had a course clock so folks could keep their times personally.  About 300 or 400 or so for this event.  I ended up with a finish time of 33:38.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

Got to the start/finish site about 45 minutes before start time.   Weather was fairly cooperative...45 degrees, partly cloudy with some sun, and a bit of a wind.   South Texans are generally not really good 'cold weather' folks, lol, so when it gets below 50, the 'warm" attire starts getting worn.  Of course, this is a military town too, with several bases, and lots of active duty and retired military folks.  Some of those folks, of course, are not native Texans, so may be from places where they are  more used to the cold, so this type of weather would be "Spring" for them.  So, as you can see from the photos, we had folks in all sorts of attire, some in only shorts and shirts, others in jackets, coats, etc.

Yours Truly, with a fellow cancer survivor

The lovely survivor lady with family/friends

San Antonio RoadRunners Volunteer Coordinator (and Great Legs Lady) Sally R.

Some of my fellow club members.  Bob, on the left, was our MC for today and Tom, on the right, is the club's official photographer and does a great slide-show presentation on all the club's events.

And more folks before the start....

The lady in the middle is wearing the long-sleeved race shirt

Me and my fellow retired Air Force bud, Cliff

Another of my running acquaintances.  These 'old guys" have a club - Old Dudes With Attitude" and shirts with their nicknames on them.

Getting ready to go after the National Anthem, with Old Glory ahead of us.

On The Course

And we're off!  The course was done on paved trails that wound through McAllister Park.  It got a bit crowded in some spots, but everyone seemed to do okay.

After The Finish

Crossed the line, got my breath back, drank some water, and then it was off to the goodies area!

Black-eyed peas being served by these volunteers for those who have a taste for them....which is not me.

Lots of various types of sodas...

And beer!  Oh yeah....

Me and my bud, Bill, all-around great guy.  77 years old and still going strong..he even has a 45-year old girlfriend from Italy.   Nice to see him again!  I hadn't seen him in quite a while, so when I saw him today I asked him "Bill, does the Home know you've escaped?"

You gotta watch old Bill, he has a way with the ladies...

Me and one of my club members, Sally S - who also has really Great Legs.

My running club friend, Whit, and his two dogs. Sadie, on the left, is one of my favorite doggie pals ever.

They are well trained and do all kinds of tricks.  Sadie will sit for you and then if you point a finger at her and say "Bang!" she will fall over and play dead, lol.  Here, they are dancing.

More "Happy Finishers" etc...

Yes, we cold-weather wimps had a fire to help keep warm, lol.

Me with one of my 'running crushes" Ceci, who is one of the owners of iaapweb.com, a really good local racing event company.  They put on several really good races over the year.

EPILOG

A very nice way to start the year.   Nice event, nice course, nice post-race goodies, and best of all, time spent with lots of my running friends.

Next up for me:  River Road 4-Miler on January 4th in New Braunfels, Texas.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a nice run and a great way to start the New Year.  How come most are #1, but a few have other numbers?  Did they run out of the SARR numbers or was it to show how many are members of the club?

Antipodean

Great start to the year. I look forward to reading report after report from you, sir!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

YOU ARE #1 SCOTT !!!!

PADRunner

Off to a good start! We had Black-Eyed Peas & cornbread at my trail race too.

Pinktastic

Way to start the new race year out on a positive note!  As always, great pictures!   Thanks for sharing, Scotty!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Bin Running

Race #1 is in the bag.. That's fast.. A good year ahead!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

What a great way to start the year. Thanks for sharing. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

SheCan

Congratulations on your first race of the year (and 75 for last year, amazing!)  Looks like a fun scenic race, and that fire must have felt wonderful

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson