Beginners and Beyond

Woman "Asked" to Cover Toned Upper Body (Read 139 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/20/woman-says-planet-fitness-told-her-to-cover-up-because-she-s-too/20853667/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D455975

Not sure if this is running related, but it is fitness related.

If I looked as good as her, I'd be wearing that halter proud and saying a few choice words to those weak people. She wasn't scantily dressed in short shorts, or barely there bra, she was dressed in one of the many proper attires for getting a workout in, and was basically made to feel ashamed of herself. I'd be walking up to her and telling her she looks amazing, but sadly it's more popular to appease obese or overweight people than to push them to better themselves.

Okay....... that's my rant.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

From what I can tell, she may have violated gym policy: "Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing must be worn  at all times while exercising in a Club. T-shirt/vests and  closed training shoes (no slops) must be worn at all times (except in the wet areas)."

(From Planet Fitness Rules and Regulations)

I'm not saying she was or was not wearing something "suitable or appropriate," but that's probably what it was about. Of course, one of the pictures shown on their rules page is only wearing a sports bra. Tongue

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Docket_Rocket

I was once asked to cover my bra while running on the TM at the University of SC Gym.  She claimed the gym policy was that you had to wear a shirt (I didn't even own a shirt then, too hot) and that it was well announced around the gym.  I asked her to show me where on the gym this was announced because I was a guest at the NAC (government training facility) and I had not been informed of that and apologized.  She couldn't tell me where it was announced so I was allowed to finish the run in my bra.

So, even if the rules don't allow it, you need to tell people about the rules.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

From what I can tell, she may have violated gym policy: "Suitable and appropriate exercise clothing must be worn  at all times while exercising in a Club. T-shirt/vests and  closed training shoes (no slops) must be worn at all times (except in the wet areas)."

(From Planet Fitness Rules and Regulations)

I'm not saying she was or was not wearing something "suitable or appropriate," but that's probably what it was about. Of course, one of the pictures shown on their rules page is only wearing a sports bra. Tongue

Also, "suitable or appropriate" is subjective and vague, and therefore, I would argue that the rules are invalid.  But hey, I am an attorney.  I can argue anything to death.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Some people on facebook were saying that Planet Fitness is very bad with their treatment of the "fit" or "healthy" people, because they don't want the less fortunate to feel intimidated or whatever. Supposedly they don't even have free weight over 80 lbs, and you aren't "allowed" to "grunt" when lifting weights........  then again it's only rumors, I don't go so I can't say for sure.

In my opinion, I would be happy to see more half naked fit people (guys or gals) walking around in the gym or on the greenways. It would definitely make the scenery "pop".

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

Before I owned my TM, I ran at a gym for two years. One day I went in wearing a top similar to what that lady in the video has on. I did my workout as usual, but on my way out, the receptionist at the front desk informed me that my outfit was against gym regulations. I apologized and didn't make a fuss, but I thought it was silly. It wasn't written anywhere in the gym but it may have been in the contract, I didn't bother to check. I went out and bought my own TM.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

My first thought in reading "news" articles like this is why did this woman go to the TV station with her story? I can't imagine thinking....hey they asked me to cover up...where's the number to my local TV news reporter because the rest of the world needs to hear about this outrageous trampling of my rights!

Smile

happylily

My first thought in reading "news" articles like this is why did this woman go to the TV station with her story? I can't imagine thinking....hey they asked me to cover up...where's the number to my local TV news reporter because the rest of the world needs to hear about this outrageous trampling of my rights!

Smile

+1 That's my thinking as well. Their rules.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

#artbydmcbride

I think most gyms have a rule against bare armpits because of the potential for sweat spraying on the equipment and other guests.  Not because they want those who are there to flaunt their fit bodies to cover up.    It is just easier to enforce a rule if everyone is required to follow it and not just the one sweat hog guy. 

Runners run

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Some people on facebook were saying that Planet Fitness is very bad with their treatment of the "fit" or "healthy" people, because they don't want the less fortunate to feel intimidated or whatever. Supposedly they don't even have free weight over 80 lbs, and you aren't "allowed" to "grunt" when lifting weights........  then again it's only rumors, I don't go so I can't say for sure.

In my opinion, I would be happy to see more half naked fit people (guys or gals) walking around in the gym or on the greenways. It would definitely make the scenery "pop".

I used to belong to Planet Fitness, and their schtick is to make it non-intimidating for beginners. Which is cool I guess, but open to (mis)interpretation by individual managers. Sounds like this manager took it a little too far. But the story doesn't really pass the smell test to me. I find it hard to believe multiple customers were complaining that she was too toned and fit looking, that's ridiculous. Maybe they thought her outfit was too revealing or whatever, but not simply that she was "too toned"

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

But she claims they told her that it was because she was intimidating other............ or at least one staffer told her that.

I'd like to know why most of the Fitness Competitive women are always shown working out at a gym in barely any clothing...... lol, nobody is complaining then - but hell it might be helping the gyms business I guess?

I think most gyms have a rule against bare armpits because of the potential for sweat spraying on the equipment and other guests.  Not because they want those who are there to flaunt their fit bodies to cover up.    It is just easier to enforce a rule if everyone is required to follow it and not just the one sweat hog guy. 

PRs

delicate flower

She should have joined Globo Gym.  "We're better than you!  And we know it."

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol.

Here is a pic of Jennifer Nicole Lee who always seems to have to work out almost naked. Then again, who can complain?

Though this one ain't bad all, but those giant damn headphones!

PRs

By the way, she wasn't intimidating. This is intimidating:

The article states: She says she chose Planet Fitness because it prides itself on being a "Judgment Free Zone."

Wrong. She chose Planet Fitness for the same reason I did & everyone else does: it's $10/month. So for that price, you get a treadmill & a shower, and should be able to put up with some stupid shit. I went there at lunchtime when the USA-Canada Olympic hockey match was happening. It was on NBC Sports Network, which is not one of the regular channels they have going. I asked if they could change one; I'm sure everyone else there would've appreciated it. They told me "the TV channels are controlled by corporate". Really, no one has a remote back there? Sort of pissed me off. But somehow I managed to avoid contacting the local TV news, and I kept my membership. Because, you know, ten bucks a month.

Dave