Beginners and Beyond

Turnverein Tuesday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Definition of TURNVEREIN (turn-ver-rhyne) : an athletic club

Origin of TURNVEREIN:German, from turnen to perform gymnastic exercises + Verein club.   First Known Use: 1852

Get your groove on today, Turnverein Penguins and get out there today and run, walk, bike, swim, do weights, do something!   As for me...YAY, it is only going to be a high of 93 today so did not have to get up early a.m. today and run in the dark.  Probably a good thing as I stayed up late to watch my Houston Texans rally and beat the Chargers 31-28.  Unfortunately my favorite team, the Redskins, played like CRAP for most of their game and lost to Philly.    Oh well.   Anyway, I can get my run/walk in after work, and I might even get to SEE some Great Legs while I'm out there, since it will be daylight.  Plan on an easy 3 - 4 miles around the university campus.

PADRunner

Morning Scotty

I went to the TURNVEREIN  yesterday and found a new home in the hot tub! SRD for me today

Bin Running

Scotty, sorry your team played badly.

Pad, enjoy the rest day.

9M w/ 10x100 strides done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - It actually looks like the Redskins played well after I went to bed.  Hopefully, they just had to knock the rust off.  I can understand RG III getting off to a slow start.  I did not understand Morris having such a hard time holding on to the darn ball.  He's better than that.

PADRunner - I am really really going to try one of those rest days this week, but this vacation schedules is pretty fluid.  If I can't get my miles in without using all 7 days, then I guess I'll have to wait another week for that elusive rest day...lol

Bin - Are you feeling 100% again?  I hope that's the case.  The more penguins we have on the healthy list, the better we can represent!

AFM - I had just enough time to get out for 5 miles this morning with strides.  I shifted my tempo run to yesterday because we're hitting the road tonight or tomorrow morning.  We don't even know yet...lol  So, I got the important mid-week run out of the way.  Then, I just ran some easy miles this morning.  If I have time, I might just run again tonight.  Tomorrow may end up being that first rest day.  We'll see.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Scotty, PAD, Bin, Awood, and the rest of the Penguins!

8 miles with 4 X 1 mile intervals.

Forgot to say, I am FEing with bingo_jenn tomorrow night!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Docket, you get all the FE's.  I guess it helps that you're in Florida.  There aren't a lot of people traveling to Northern Indiana....FOR ANY REASON...lol

It just dawned on me that I'm only 18 days away from the Brewers Mini!!!!  Hahaha....I can't wait!  I've already planned out the next two weeks of training to allow me to get all of my miles and quality workouts in.  I'll miss one quality workout, but I think a hard HM is a good trade off for 1 quality workout :-).  I basically redefined what a week is to allow for a mini-taper, and still get my runs did.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Awood, that will probably end when we move.  I mean, if we move.  I've been trying to leave this fucking place for 5 years now unsuccessfully.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is September 10th!   Holidays for today are:

Swap Ideas Day - Encourages us to share and trade ideas and concepts.

National Boss/Employee Exchange Day - If you ever wondered whether your boss could do your job, today is the day to find out.  Of course, you have to be able to do the boss' job too!

TV Dinner Day - most of you are probably way too young to remember those original TV dinners in the aluminum foil packs...

ideas cartoons, ideas cartoon, ideas picture, ideas pictures, ideas image, ideas images, ideas illustration, ideas illustrations

tv dinner cartoons, tv dinner cartoon, tv dinner picture, tv dinner pictures, tv dinner image, tv dinner images, tv dinner illustration, tv dinner illustrations

KEYWORD1  2012-03-21  parody  parodies  movie  movies  film  films  tv  television

KEYWORD1  2012-01-21  cup  cups  latte  lattes  coffee  work  workplace  workplaces

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - I remember TV dinners...lol  We ate those when Mom didn't have time to cook, and it was before the microwave.  Speaking of which, I just remembering our first microwave the other day.  It had a dial, and that was the only real control on the microwave.  I remember thinking, "Wow, I can cook a hot dog in 30 seconds!".   Oh that was considered high tech.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Bin Running

Scotty, I remembered TV dinner. Luckily, I don't need to try it.

Awood, still coughing a little. A soft landing, I guess.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  Got 6 miles in last night with my new Cortanas!

Scotty, since you asked yesterday, Cortanas are like Kinvaras with extra padding.  They felt great for my run yesterday, even over dark sidewalks.  RD today.  I did get my 1:00 plank in and will do my PT exercises later.

Scotty- Enjoy the after-work run!

PAD- Hooray for hot tubs! Enjoy the RD.

Bin- Nice run!

Awood- Good luck getting running in on vacation!  I found it was really nice just to have that as part of my day when I was in Cali.

D- Enjoy the FE!

hog4life

Quick check in, I'll hit some personals later. My ladder workout from yesterday was a flop(did 2 miles) due to being at the surgeon's office so long, but I got great news. For those that don't see me on FB, the surgeon doesn't want/need to do anything at this time. The restriction that was found is typical symptoms for my Crohn's, and until it becomes more symptomatic, he feels it should just be monitored. I am so freaking relieved, cancer free, and no more surgeries, at least for now.

Tonight I will attempt to run my little ass off as a celebration!

Mitch

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on the strides, Bin!  Thanks for the team condolences.  I think our QB, ole Robert Griffin III is still not quite confident about that knee he had surgery on after last season, he just was not playing like his old self, but he started getting better toward the end of the game after he took a few hits and got back up with no knee problem.   I guess it will take him a bit to realize he is okay.  We runners who have been injured know how THAT goes, lol, when we did our comebacks, that hesitation and bit of nervousness about starting again. Anyway, he'll get there.

Yeah, Awood, agree with you, very uncharacteristic of Morris.  And the darn defense...wow, they really need to get better too.  They started getting it together toward the end, but..wow..still need work!  SIGH.  Well, if they can just beat the DDC (Damn Dallas Cowboys) this year, I'll be happy.   Awood, have a safe road trip and enjoy the journey!

FEing with Bingo Jenn!   How come she didn't join us here?  You better get some photos then, Damaris!  Don't make me come down there, young lady!  Wink  If you do move, it will be to San Antonio, right?  Joking  We have a need here for govt attorneys and doctors.  I bet you and DH could find jobs here in no time at all.

Glad your new shoes arrived, Zelanie, and you got to run in them!  Nice looking shoe!

Sorry about your flopped run, Mitch, but great news from the surgeon, I am glad for you.  You have dealt with enough already!  Stay healthy, my friend!

GinnyinPA

Mitch - that's great news.  Really happy for you.

Awood - my best running is when I'm travelling.  It's always so much more fun when you don't know what's around the corner (though in S. Dakota, watch out for the bison and antelope).

Bin - sorry you're still coughing.

Scotty - is the summer heat finally ending for you all?  We've been in the 70's for a week now, but it's supposed to be 90 tomorrow, then back down to the 70's.   Feels good, but confusing. Enjoy your evening run.

Damaris - is your cat still improving?  Have fun with your FE tomorrow.  Another dinner?

PADRunner - enjoy your rest.

Zelanie - nice shoes.

AFM:  I'm still running only once a week.  When I try twice, it hurts (low level) for a couple of days afterwards.  I shouldn't be running at all, but I really miss it and so I keep testing to see if I'm healed yet.  Close, but not yet.