Beginners and Beyond

Many are mad, but I admire this race director. (Read 226 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So, here's the story.  My fiance ran the 10K while I ran the HM this weekend.  I was shocked when I got done, and found out that some 10K runners had just finished recently.  As it turns out, some of the volunteers accidentally misdirected some of the runners.  He gave everyone a chance to restart, but some were too far along and didn't feel they could or wanted to run the extra miles.  Understandable.

I admire this race director because of the way he handled the situation.  Everybody makes a mistake somewhere, sometime.  I feel like he owned up to it, and probably did more than a lot of race directors would do to compensate the runners for the mistake.  Someone posted this video on youtube of his response to the mishap.  I thought I'd post it here, and see how fellow B&B members react to it.  Would you still be pissed?  Would you request the refund?  Or would you be like my fiance, and accept it for what it is, accept the apology, and tell him to keep the entry fee as a portion of the proceeds are going to the Special Olympics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iHx3IWn80Q

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Luke79

That was very reasonable.  If that happened locally and the RD was like that guy about it, I would not request a refund.  That was a good way to handle it IMO.

LRB

Getting your money back kind of renders it a moot point.  Nothing else said or done changes what happened.

StepbyStep-SH

A local, normally well-run and very respected race had a problem a couple of years ago with volunteers failing to arrive at their appointed location to tell those running the 5k where to turn (5k and 10k were on the same street at that point). About 2 dozen 5k runners ended up running about a half-mile extra. This race draws some very fast, very serious runners because there are actual cash prizes for the top 3 overall, but it also benefits a local non-profit that serves children with autism.

During awards, the MC, a local radio personality, sincerely apologized for the error and said that the organization would provide refunds to anyone who requested, but he (speaking for himself) urged runners to consider the cause. I don't think many, if any, runners actually requested refunds for the race.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

It happens, yes.  I get more angry when the RDs do not respond and/or tell you too bad, so sad.  His response was nice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Good on him to have taken the stage to apologize like that.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Nice to see them own up to it quickly and try to make amends.

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~

Not quite right

I seen 2 races last year get off course both times not really the RD's fault but because course was changed and leader did not know of change. It took a bout a half mile on the 10k to get them turned right way. They even use a pace car for the 10k as it run through the hills. They apologized and believe the runner lead the herd off course did too. The 5K was not marked the best and the leader got little off then got turned around to the right way. In both these cases they were runner error and can happen. We are sheep and lets face it most of us don't expect to be leading so we follow one wrong turn and bam we are going the wrong way.

As for this case the RD handled it well IMO.

MrNamtor

since a time machine has not yet been developed, this is the best he could have done. I think his admonishment to "not clap, this doesn't deserve a clap" was really heartfelt, and said it all. Good for him, i agree, he did the right thing and basically all he could do.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

With what happened, I would say he handled it as well as anyone could have.  Gotta give him credit for having the balls to stand up there and make the statement as well...  Facing a large group of needy/angry runners isn't an easy task.

Me personally, no, I would not request a refund...  Especially if the RD gave a response like that.

Something witty

Antipodean

Last year I ran a 5k where they also had a 10k, 10 mile and a half. I came in at 25 minutes and thought I'd hang around for the first 10k runners. At about 35 minutes on the clock we were still waiting and it was a flat course and all. Some volunteers were on the phone & starting to look worried.  Suddenly the first runners came in and didn't quite look the part. The girl was embarrassed to be interviewed and the older man who finished just after her was clearly confused. Turned out the 10k turn around had been in the wrong place for some time, then got moved too close and so some people ran less than 10k, some more. They all got offered free entry to this year's race and as far as I know that solved the problem. Can't do much else after all. I hope to run the half this year so I hope they sort out these issues.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

It does take guts to own up to a mistake in front of a crowd.

Personally I don't get mad if a course somehow gets screwed up. It sucks, but people are human. They make mistakes. Life will go on despite running a short or long course. There will be more races. If this is the worst thing that can happen, then you've got it pretty good. I don't think a race director ever intends to make a mistake like that and it's embarrassing for them and hard to handle in the split second they find out what happened. Or, the leader screws up and takes a wrong turn and chaos ensues. Shit happens. No sense howling about it.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

paulski66

miscreant

I think it's a much different thing to screw up on a 10k course than it is on a half or full course. Personally, I wouldn't be too angry if I ran a 10k and they screwed up the course, though I travel for most of my races so I would probably take the refund to help defray the costs. But if it were a half, or a full...yikes.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

onemile

I saw that too.  I would have been majorly pissed if it had been the half that was misrouted.  I dropped a workout from my schedule and reduced my mileage so I could run a decent race and then to have it be short - I would have not been happy.

MrNamtor

I saw that too.  I would have been majorly pissed if it had been the half that was misrouted.  I dropped a workout from my schedule and reduced my mileage so I could run a decent race and then to have it be short - I would have not been happy.

yeah well that's what security guards are for.