Beginners and Beyond

How far I've come. (Read 119 times)

robinde

Today is the one year anniversary of when I started running.  I've never run before as a form of exercise.  I was in the military 26 years ago, so I did do small amounts of running when forced.  Anyway, I was about 3 months into my "losing weight and getting healthy" resolution from last year when a friend talked me into doing a 5K.  The 5K was in May, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I was still heavier than I wanted to be to start running, but I told myself I'd take it slow and pay attention to any pains that might be more than my body complaining about moving again after 20+ years.  I ran (using that word loosely here) that 5K in 38:59.  Today, I did my 4 mile easy run in 41:13.  I'm still 15lbs away from where I want to be weight wise, but I never really thought I'd ever be able to run the way I do today.  I know I'm not fast by most standards, but I don't care.  I can move my body longer distances than most of the people I know.  It's simply amazing to me what we can do with persistence and determination.

RSX

Happy Anniversery, and very inspirational.

Mmmmm...beer

Happy Runniversary!! Smile

We are all on our own journey, and you're doing great.  Anything is possible with time and determination, I tell people that all the time. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Luke79

Grats on your progress thus far, and much more going forward.  It's great when you have those moments of realization that you have come so far over a period of time.

Dr. Cornsitter

Yay you! I still marvel sometimes at how far or how well I can cover distances I once thought were impossible! Keep on truckin' sistah!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Docket_Rocket

Happy Runniversary!  Congrats on your journey!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Congratualtions on your anniversary! You are doing great and you can expect many more nice things to happen to you if you keep on running. Thank you for sharing your story and also for joining us here!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Awesome!

You and the many members with similar stories are why I stay on the forums!

Rungry!

Horray for Robinde!! My story is so very similar to yours. I'll never be speedy either, but think its a miracle to be out running each morning.

Jen

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job, keep it up! Congrats on your runniversary.

- Andrew

Mostly harmless

Congratulations and I hope you have many more to come!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Better I Leave

Today is the one year anniversary of when I started running.  I've never run before as a form of exercise.  I was in the military 26 years ago, so I did do small amounts of running when forced.  Anyway, I was about 3 months into my "losing weight and getting healthy" resolution from last year when a friend talked me into doing a 5K.  The 5K was in May, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I was still heavier than I wanted to be to start running, but I told myself I'd take it slow and pay attention to any pains that might be more than my body complaining about moving again after 20+ years.  I ran (using that word loosely here) that 5K in 38:59.  Today, I did my 4 mile easy run in 41:13.  I'm still 15lbs away from where I want to be weight wise, but I never really thought I'd ever be able to run the way I do today.  I know I'm not fast by most standards, but I don't care.  I can move my body longer distances than most of the people I know.  It's simply amazing to me what we can do with persistence and determination.

Kewlness

**Dave fist bumps Robin**

Happy anniversary my friend. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Happy runniversary!!!!! congrats on great progress!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Happy Runiversary.  So glad you feel better, stay with the program, keep it slow so you don't get injured.

Looking forward to your 2nd year report.   Shout out to Robinde !!!

Way to go Robin. Its great to hear stories like yours. Happy  Runniversary!!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott