Beginners and Beyond

Black and White Penguins Friday (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Good morning Scotty and Penguins!  I started the holiday running streak yesterday.  Today I may try my parents hamster wheel.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No "Black Friday" for this Penguin.  For me, it's

Hello from Washington State where the current temp is 39 degrees in Wenatchee, WA!  BRRRR for this South Texas Penguin.  We last Monday night.  I got up on Tuesday morning and it was a pleasant 42 degrees.  Went running and did about 4 miles.  Even wore shorts instead of my long running pants.    Wednesday did a nice 3 miles on the paved hike-and-bike trail that goes alongside the Columbia River.  Very pretty!   On Thanksgiving Day I did the local Turkey Trot - report and photos to follow sometime, my in-laws computer has no spare USB port to upload my photos, sheesh .  Start time 9 a.m.   The weather was 41 degrees, with a wind that made it feel like 39...a bit chilly for a South Texas penguin.  Yet, I wore shorts, a base layer shirt, and one shirt over that and I felt fine while running.  After the race, back to my mother-and-father in-laws place for a big family Thanksgiving - Gail is one of 5 children, so between her siblings, their spouses, their children, their children's siblings, etc....QUITE a party!  Plus my father-in-law turned 90 on Wednesday so the whole family came from all over the place to celebrate that too. Lots of fun, lots of beer and other drinks, lots of food and desserts, and the day even made better because the Damn Dallas Cowboys lost and the Seahawks beat the 49ers.   In spite of the chilly weather - it is supposed to be around 29 degrees tomorrow! - I am managing to enjoy myself and still getting out there and running in spite of the weather.   I plan on doing the river trail tomorrow and this time will take my camera to get some photos to share with y'all when I get back, it really is a very pretty run along the river.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Gotta go now, busy day today again with the in-laws, breakfast at the VFW with my FIL and will chat with some fellow Veterans, swapping all our war stories, and then tooling Gail around to see some of her old friends - she grew up here - and visiting with her two sisters who still live here.   Chat with y'all later when I can!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, your family gathering sounds great.  Have a fun relaxing day!

StoneFence, good luck with the streak & enjoy the hamster wheel.

Not sure what my plans are today. No running though. We arrived here Wednesday night (near Vail - over 9000 ft) and I ran 3 miles on the treadmill Thurs morning and was seriously light-headed.  So I might do some snowshoeing today but nothing too strenuous.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I worked today but I took it off as vacation.  Pilates class done and 6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Scotty - good luck getting out in the colder temperatures.  Sounds like a good family gathering.  Our family never does that, partly because of money and partly because of family dynamics.

StoneFence - where do your folks live?  Good luck on the streak.

Brilliant - do you ski?  Snowshoeing is a lot more work - probably each mile should count double.  Have a fun holiday weekend.

Damaris - enjoy your day off.

AFM:  very sore backside.  Why is it that when I run fast (speedwork or racing) the hamstrings/glutes hurt a lot afterwards, but they don't on slow runs?  How do I get it to stop?  More speedwork or less?  I would take a rest day, but I want to do the holiday streak challenge, so I'll get at least a mile in later.

From the Internet.

Morning! No work for me today. Will run 3-4ish later.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pens...

Enjoy your Washington visit Scott.  Hope you can get the pictures up and so we can see the "Texas" smiles.

Good luck with the holiday streak SF.  I'm in as well.

Have fun in Vail, Brill.

Enjoy the workation, D.

Hope you get the mile in Ginny and feel better.

AFM, we ran 3.5 on the bike path. Wind chill was +8, but we run our route to minimize the wind, so it was a nice run.  I will not be shopping today, if I can help it.

PADRunner

Almost 9 this morning with some intervals. A lot slower, and longer rests between.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

SF: Good luck with the streak.

Scotty: Sounds like you are having a nice stay in WA. Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures. Where in WA are you?

Brilliant: Lucky! Have a great stay. Do some more TM miles and you will get used to the altitude. DRINK WATER!

D: No four day weekend? Bleh...

Ginny: Maybe you are not used to doing speed work? I don't remember your training, but for your next 5k maybe do two speed workouts a week six weeks out from the race? Just a thought...

Lauren: Enjoy the day off from work (my favorite days of the week).

Jerry: 8 degrees... I ran in 19 the other day and that was bad enough. I CANNOT imagine 8. Don't even want to think about it. You are a better man than me.

PAD: Nice 9. I hope the training is going well for you.

Zel: Thanks for the cake. It's already gone! Smile I did get one bite. DD1 said it was "Awesome stuff. Good, good, stuff." That's a direct quote.

AFM: Black Friday is a day that gives us an excuse to not go shopping. DS is home so we are just hanging out. We will take him shopping for some food and stuff tomorrow when the chaos has died down. The highlight of my day was having breakfast with Zelanie. She was on her way from San Diego to Oregon so we met here by my place. DD and the kids are slugs and were still in bed. Zel is a cool chick and I hope to run a race with her up in OR someday in the future. She has a picture of our FE so it's on her to post it. Smile

We are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow because my parents were out of town, we were driving back from Zion, and my brother's wife had to work.

Enjoy the weekend.

GinnyinPA

Jack - how great that you and Melanie got to meet.  And in a non-racing environment!

Since I never plan for 5ks--they just happen, and very rarely at that (4 in three years) -- I don't really see myself doing any intensive training for future ones.  Especially since there's the Catch-22 aspect: since speedwork hurts, I don't do it often (esp. speed intervals which really hurt afterwards) and because I do it rarely, my body never gets used to it, so it hurts more.  I think my form must change when I go faster, or else I tense up more.  I need to do more 'strides' or fartleking, so it's less intense.

Jerry - that's cold.  It was 30 here, feels like 23, and I was cold in my down coat when walking Ben.  I can't imagine running at 8 deg.

I usually avoid Black Friday completely, but our local running store had a 30% off sale so we drove over there.  Unfortunately, the store sucks. They never carry my size shoe (no women's wides at all)  and their clothes selection is limited and expensive.  They're okay for Gel and Gu sometimes -- but even that was limited today.  They had none of the good running books and looking at Garmins, the clerk didn't even know which was which.  I don't know how they stay in business.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Evening all!  Ran a 5 mile race with DH and my friend this morning.  Paced her to her A goal - sub 55 minutes :-)  Now for a bath and some relaxation while DH is out with friends.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

Ginny, I think your stride changes a bit when racing, and therefore makes things more sore than usual.

Jack, I'm jealous, I would love to meet Melanie some day.

Zel, great pic of you and Jack.

10 for me and Bella this morning.

Zelanie

Hey pens!  Made it about halfway home, and now that I've gotten a run and dinner in, I can post the FE pic. Smile

It was very sunny where Jack lives, I needed the shades too.  It was great to meet him and talk running and racing with him.  Can't wait to hear about his next racing cycle!  Breakfast was perfect, too, nice and filling for a day on the road.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Zel - you look entirely too young to be the mother of a teenager!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)