Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins It's Time To Put One Foot In Front Of The Other (Read 201 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Life is going a million miles an hour and I feel like I am sitting still. Trying to catch up and keep up! No exercise for me yesterday but today will be the gym routine and maybe the bike when I get home.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Trying to XT at home this morning.  Found out last night that I'm going to have a house full of people when I get home tonight.  At least it's not a running day, but tonight's the BCS Championship.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me today.

Gustav, enjoy the bike.

Awood, enjoy the XT (if you can do it) and the championship game.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning, colony.

SRD for me.  I did 9 Saturday and 5 yesterday.  I also got all the Christmas decorations down and put away, then DH and DD1 helped dust / vacuum / mop.  DD2 headed back to Pittsburgh yesterday morning and DD1 back to Delaware last night, so the house is quiet again.

I don't really have a favorite team for the football game tonight, but Ithink there's a couple of Penguins who Roll Tide??

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Have a great week Penguins  !!!!   Short run after work, hopefully outside.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Sunday, January 6th, I participated in my 4th race of 2013.  Link to photos and report for this event is below.  Please feel free to share the report and photos.

http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A363b9097-0586-46ec-a20a-ce970ba1a83c&plckpostid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A363b9097-0586-46ec-a20a-ce970ba1a83cPost%3A0c3bc979-f199-4ae2-8430-7d2b4d77fc3f

On Saturday, I did a run/walk at Lackland Air Force Base, nearly 5 miles.  I haven't gone 5 miles in what seems like forever. Felt really strong and ran very well during my running segments, under 11 minutes per mile, which is 'speedy' for me, lol.

Today is a rest day.  Disappointed that my Redskins lost to Seattle but, to tell the truth, I really didn't think they could beat Seattle, especially with RGIII's knee the way it is.  He just was not playing like his old self. I think they should have had the backup quarterback playing the whole game.  Oh well, it is what it is.  Now I'm rooting for Seattle and the Houston Texans to go all the way.  Given that the Texans are next playing New England Patriots - uh oh... - I guess my hopes are with Seattle, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Srd for me today. Sending my motoactv in again. Same old problem - the button don't work. I think it is becos it doesn't like water. How stupid can it be? I will rinse the watch light under running tap after every run. Just 2-3 sec to wash away the sweat. Thinking of getting a garmin now. Dont get me wrong.  It's a brilliant product. If only it is at least a little water tolerable.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy gym and biking today, Gustav!

Have a happy game night, Awood!  And Go Irish!  I can't stand Alabama.   I hope Tide does roll, Margo..right underground! Joking

Happy rest day, Damaris!  How's the weather in Miami?  Right now it is 34 degrees in San Antonio, with an expected high today of 60.

Nice weekend running, Margo. Sounds like you were busy busy busy.  So are you happy about the house being quiet again?

Good luck with your run today, Jerry, hope you get to run outside.

Sorry about the watch, Bin, hope you can get it fixed.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Updating my log, I see....I did 73 races in 2011 and 73 races in 2012.

My doc called me on Friday and does not want me doing that many again this year; she had another MRI done on my back and said my spinal arthritis has progressed some more, about 5% more arthritis in my spine now since my last MRI.   So she wants me to take it "easier" this year, not give my back so much "pounding." .  Which reminds me, I have to schedule my next quarterly spine injection.   I feel pretty darn good, though, so I am just  going to play it by ear, and see how it goes.  Long as I feel good I'll keep getting out there.  I told her I will be careful to continue to do my run/walk method and just have fun with all my events and not RACE them.  She is a runner herself, so knows what fanatics we runners are about our running, so she gave me a kind of 'tentative' approval, lol, with a warning to just be careful and if my body tells me too, take EXTRA rest times if needed.  I told her I did three 5Ks on New Year's Day....she rolled her eyes and let out a BIG sigh very dramatically, lol, and said maybe she should give all her instructions to Gail instead, since Gail is probably the only one that can make me behave.  She's probably right, lol.

I really don't have a goal in mind this year for number of races to do; so I'll just see how it comes out by the end of the year, I'll let whatever number it ends up be a surprise for me.

hog4life

Scotty, that is a lot of racing. Maybe try for 1/wk for 52 on the year. With the increase if 5%, won't that kin of make it worse if you stop moving so much.

I live in Bama, but I'm not really a die hard fan of them. I have to work 6pm-6am tonight, so I wont be watching. I'm heading to hospital for CT scan as part of my follow up and then hope to run 6-7 before I need to take a nap.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear that but if anybody can make it work, it would be you.  Maybe do the same races but walk some more instead?

Updating my log, I see....I did 73 races in 2011 and 73 races in 2012.

My doc called me on Friday and does not want me doing that many again this year; she had another MRI done on my back and said my spinal arthritis has progressed some more, about 5% more arthritis in my spine now since my last MRI.   So she wants me to take it "easier" this year, not give my back so much "pounding." .  Which reminds me, I have to schedule my next quarterly spine injection.   I feel pretty darn good, though, so I am just  going to play it by ear, and see how it goes.  Long as I feel good I'll keep getting out there.  I told her I will be careful to continue to do my run/walk method and just have fun with all my events and not RACE them.  She is a runner herself, so knows what fanatics we runners are about our running, so she gave me a kind of 'tentative' approval, lol, with a warning to just be careful and if my body tells me too, take EXTRA rest times if needed.  I told her I did three 5Ks on New Year's Day....she rolled her eyes and let out a BIG sigh very dramatically, lol, and said maybe she should give all her instructions to Gail instead, since Gail is probably the only one that can make me behave.  She's probably right, lol.

I really don't have a goal in mind this year for number of races to do; so I'll just see how it comes out by the end of the year, I'll let whatever number it ends up be a surprise for me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

Short run this morning, short on time, might go out again tonight for a double.  4 miles done.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Howdy Penguins...

just stopping in long enough to wish everyone a great day.

Scotty - 5% in a year?  How does your back feel after races?

AFM - SRD.  Back at it tomorrow.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning.

Scotty sorry about your back.

Joining all of you resting. Cranky and frustrated.  I wanna RUN! Thinking about joining a new gym. My gym was flooded out by Hurricane Sandy and still hasn't reopened. But since I was running 3x's per week, doing freeweights/resistance band/stability ball strength and toning at home, going to yoga in a yoga studio and zumba in a dance a studio I hardly ever used the gum anymore anyway. But with running oit of the picture for now I have no way to cardio crosstrain, and with my work schedule right now haven't been able to make a zumba class in awhile. Having no cardio in a week and a half makes me cranky.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to