Beginners and Beyond

After a distance race are you starving, or actually forcing yourself to eat a little? (Read 68 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am surprisingly not starving, I have forced myself to eat a banana, a Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice English Muffin (yum yum) with peanut butter and honey on it, and Chobani greek yogurt (black cherry) since the race this morning. I really am not hungry for some reason..... tonight we're going to Logan's Roadhouse and I am going to get either chicken or a filet mignon, sweet potato and something else AND a margarita or two but other than that I really don't feel like eating....... weird.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Not weird. I think this is true for a lot of people - if you race hard, there's generally not much appetite immediately after.

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I am usually starving because I don't eat much in the morning before a long run. After burning 2500 calories I usually eat for the rest of the day.

delicate flower

My hunger isn't affected in anything HM distance or under.  I'm usually hungry because I'll eat a very light breakfast before the race, so being hungry is natural simply because of the time between meals.

After my three marathons, I wasn't hungry at all.  It takes a couple of hours for my body to calm down.  Once that hunger hits though, it comes on with the fiery anger for 10,000 suns.

<3

RSX

The only time I am real hungry is after 26.2. All other races I am very content with water shortly after. The only race I rifle through the food area is for a 5k because they have a lot of good sponsors.

delicate flower

The only time I am real hungry is after 26.2. All other races I am very content with water shortly after. The only race I rifle through the food area is for a 5k because they have a lot of good sponsors.

I love it when they say, "Here, take more!" because then I go home with arms full of snacks.  I ain't shy about taking the freebies when they are pushed upon me!

<3

RSX

I love it when they say, "Here, take more!" because then I go home with arms full of snacks.  I ain't shy about taking the freebies when they are pushed upon me!

There is an ALS 5k for in honor of Mike Timlin's mom who died from it. I have volunteered there a few times as well. A few ex-Red Sox players show up to sign which is cool, and they have a ton of food. All my basic food groups like pizza and hot dogs are there. This year they added ice cream.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I am finally starting to feel the hunger..... hopefully my mom will get here soon and drive me to Logan's, even if I don't get a margarita.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

meaghansketch

Most endurance exercise (with the exception of swimming) raises your core temperature, which has an effect of suppressing hunger.  I am usually not hungry at all after a long run or race but try to eat something afterward as soon as possible, to aid recovery.

Mmmmm...beer

A half, or a good long run, like today's 20 miler, makes me want to eat everything in sight.  Altho, I think the pizza that I just ate has finally calmed the beast. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Antipodean

I just finished a 10 mile race and managed to down a banana and a hotdog straight away, basically because they were free. When I got home and my hubby had prepared lunch I had to force myself to eat. Didn't do justice to it. I'm guessing the munchies will hit in a coupla hours.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Docket_Rocket

I usually don't eat for hours after a marathon.  I just force a bit of Gatorade or water and half a banana and let the body ask for lunch or dinner afterwards.  Now the next few days?  Watch out.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Nightvisionrn

I usually only want fluids and a banana. I mostly want a nap!

Nata2011

This

I usually only want fluids and a banana. I mostly want a nap!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

After a long run I am usually not hungry for a few hours. And then all of the sudden....I NEED TO EAT EVERYTHING!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to