Beginners and Beyond

My new "new" goal: 45,000 at 60...and thanks LTH and wcruner2 (Read 85 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, dang, I am an idiot.  LTH and wcrunner2's posts - with the figures they posted for my yearly average, that made me go back and "check my math" - the figuring which I originally did using my current computer running log and my old hand-written logs from the past -   I was looking at their posted comments and altho I know I did several 2,000 mile years  and not many but a few nearly 3,000 mile years in my 'strong running days" of the past, I did slow down considerably after I got older, and in looking at their comments I kept thinking to myself "I don't think I averaged that high for that many years, so I must've screwed up somewhere in my figuring.".   So I went back and double-checked  all  the weekly, monthly, and yearly  figures of my hand-written logs and sure enough, I made a mistake in the grand total when adding the sum total figures up by hand ...a 15K mistake!  I really need to start using a calculator.  Good thing I am not an accountant, lol, I'd surely be sued!  Math is definitely not my strong suit, good thing Gail is the one who balances the accounts! Joking

So apologies for my math and thanks to LTH and wcrunner2 for making me go back and check, I appreciate it!  I corrected my original post below.  45,000 by 60 in February  - which will be 2 months shy of me being a runner for 31 years - is my goal.  Not quite as 'aesthetic' as 60 at 60, but still not a bad goal, I think.

My original post - corrected!

I figure if I post it publicly here for all my running friends to see, this will help me stay motivated to reach my goal.  As I get older, I do tend to get really more and more lackadaisical, lol.

I have been running for 30 years, so not too bad for an old dog who will in February turn 420 in dog years (that's 60 in human years for you humans Wink)   I sat down last night and calculated all my lifetime miles and see that I am approaching one figure:  I have 260 miles to go before I hit 60,000 45,000 lifetime miles.  I turn 60 in February, so I'm thinking it would be cool - and very "runner aesthetic" Joking -  to make 60,000 45,000 lifetime miles when I turn 60.  That's only 16 miles a week from now till then, so  16 miles a week is not much, I think my arthritis might be able to handle that.  I'm doing about 12 - 15 miles a week now, so 16 is not that much of a jump.   60,000 at 60, my new goal, lol.

Granted, for 30 years, that is not a whole lot of mileage compared to some here that I admire greatly like, say, my running friend Moth, who has been running for what seems like FOREVER, and probably has WAY more lifetime miles than I do. I'm sure there are several of my running acquaintances here and on the RW site that have mucho more lifetime miles now than I ever will have.

I probably should have more lifetime miles in 30 years.  But that's okay. Each of us has to play the hand that life deals us and do the best we can.   In my running life, I've had 4 knee surgeries, cancer, bilateral hernia surgery, and in 2003 I was 'dealt" spinal arthritis.   I'm not using these as excuses - lots of people have dealt with worse than I have and still done well with mileage (my admirable friend Jenny aka 'the learned foot' for instance) - just saying these are some of the "interruptions" I've had during my running life that caused me at times to 'step back"  and and rethink my running strategies while recovering, and this lowered my monthly mileage/yearly total pretty drastically on occasion. Looking back, I probably could've better handled some of those 'interruptions", but hey, hindsight is 20/20, so no sense in crying about what you can't change now, it is what it is.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the running life I've had and 60,000 lifetime miles is not too bad, in my humble opinion.

So, 60,000 45,000 at 60!  Keep reminding me on occasion in the Dailies and Penguin threads - where I usually hang out here - to help keep me pushing myself forward.   I appreciate all the help I can get, slacker that I am.  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow. Truly incredible, Scotty. I'm sure you will have plenty of pictures to document the historic day. Congrats and very well done!!

delicate flower

Scotty, is that 60,000 miles or 60,000 races?   Big grin

Good stuff though.  Congrats on the upcoming milestone.  You've certainly got a great attitude and I love reading your reports.  I don't think anybody has more fun running than you.

<3

That's just awesome Scotty!  And you epitomize the role of ambassador of local races.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Antipodean

I think you're awesome, Scotty. You're an ispiration, too, in so many ways. It's good to have a goal to push for - 16 miles a week! You'll do it!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good stuff though.  Congrats on the upcoming milestone.  You've certainly got a great attitude and I love reading your reports.  I don't think anybody has more fun running than you.

Thanks, Baboon.  I owe that attitude to my parents who taught me to never give up.  I was a "March of Dimes" baby, born with a birth defect in my hip and spine and I had to wear leg braces for a while when I was young, and then when the braces came off I wore  for another period a pair of those shoes with the bar that goes in-between them.  I went through quite a bit of physical therapy and my parents were always there for me, encouraging me to BELIEVE in myself and think positive, and to always try and keep my sense of humor  and the ability to laugh and joke at myself in any situation I might be in because laughter can help you get through some tough times.  I have tried always to carry their philosophy with me.  And it sure has helped!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

workinprogress11

I think that's a wonderful goal and will be a great achievement.  Actually, the miles you've already run are a great achievement.   I look forward to the report the day you hit it!

Hip Redux

You, sir, rock.

That is all.

Good luck!

PADRunner

Now get out there and get your 2 miles today! Smile

Docket_Rocket

Awesome, Scotty!  I'll be rooting for you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jess runs for bacon

Holy crap, Scotty. That's crazy.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Makes me wonder what thelearnedfoot's total will be when she reaches 60.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Robert31320

Team TJ

That's an incredible goal/accomplishment Scotty!  Best of luck to you in meeting it and then keep going and going and going....

Running for TJ because he can't.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Both! Smile

Scotty, congrats on the numbers! That's a ton of mileage. You must have Michelin feet! Few others can go for that mileage.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Love the Half

Dayum.  If I can keep my long term goal, I may just catch up wit ya.  Big grin

In all seriousness, that's some hella mileage.  You're talking 2,000 miles a year over that period of time.  Wow.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).