Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Get in where you fit in (Read 48 times)

LRB

CoolWELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!Cool

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here

LRB

This year or next....

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 X 800m intervals tonight. Hoping for no asthma attack.

Off to Court.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

HOLA BOLOGNA!  So I was just looking at my work calendar and I do not have a single meeting on my calendar for the next three weeks.  How is that possible!?  Confused  I ain't complaining.  And I'm sure that'll change.

13.15 miles at 8:25 pace last night.  I will go ahead and call that a GOOD RUN.  It's funny because I felt achy and stiff when the run started, no doubt due to Sunday's trail run.  I thought about making it a short run and going for the longer one today, but once I warmed up I felt great.  I'll be doing something shorter and easier today.  All easy stuff the rest of the week heading into my 10K Sunday.

LRB, what marathon are we looking at there?

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gail and I were up at 4:30 a.m and off to the YMCA, which opens at 5 a.m.  She swam laps in the outdoor pool and I went and got in 3 miles.  Sweet morning for a run!  75 degrees but felt cooler with the dewpoint at a very nice 62.  I was gamboling at an easy gait under a grand gibbous moon, glad to be out, grateful for good weather. Nice run! Big grin

I also have the day off today, so can go back to sleep for a while after that early morning run, nice.

Today is August 20th.  Today's holidays are National Radio Day and Lemonade Day.

radio cartoons, radio cartoon, radio picture, radio pictures, radio image, radio images, radio illustration, radio illustrations

lemonade cartoons, lemonade cartoon, lemonade picture, lemonade pictures, lemonade image, lemonade images, lemonade illustration, lemonade illustrations

lemonade cartoons, lemonade cartoon, lemonade picture, lemonade pictures, lemonade image, lemonade images, lemonade illustration, lemonade illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That is a lot of folks, LRB. Which race is that?

Hope you don't have an asthma attack either, Damaris!  You have such nice lungs!  Er...eyes...that's what I meant.  Wink

Congrats on your 13+ run, Phil!  Enjoy the easy running the rest of the week and good luck with the upcomiing 10K.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pinktastic

Good Morning, Friends!!

I could have used more sleep this morning.   Anyone willing to share their beloved coffee this morning?

LRB – Thanks for starting us off!!  Hope you have a magnificent run today!!

Damaris – Good luck in court and with those intervals!!

Phil – I might think I’d died and gone to heaven if I had 3 meeting-less weeks on my calendar!!   That almost sounds like vacation…..   Great run last night!!   You are sure churning out the miles!!

Scotty – Sounds like a splendid run for you this morning!  High five!!   Thanks for the laughs!

I had my appointment for a 2nd opinion on what to do about my a-fib yesterday.    I think I liked this doctor much better than the previous one.    The new doctor said that ablation is probably the right way to go, but he wanted to study my heart for a few weeks and get some good baseline readings to figure out what the triggers are for my a-fib, how often I experience it, how long it lasts each time, etc.    With that information, he’ll have a better gauge to determine if ablation is the way to go and where exactly he needs to burn if ablation is the right step.    He said that ablation may not completely cure the a-fib, but medicine was definitely not the way to go in my case so if we got the baseline numbers before the procedure, we can determine if ablation corrected 95% of the issues or only 68% of the issues and then proceed from there afterwards.

While I hate waiting, and this will be at least a 5 week delay in the ablation if that’s the right path for me, I felt more confident that this doctor wasn’t going willy nilly for such a risky, permanent solution without doing some homework first.   One of the things that caused me considerable angst with the first doctor was that he wanted to go in without knowing any more than he saw on the sonogram and the EKG – both of which were just a few moments in time and may or may not really be representative of what’s really going on.

So, as soon as it comes in, I will wear a “halter monitor” for 3 weeks so that we get the baseline information.    My first question was “can I run in that”, and he said absolutely.  In fact, he encouraged running with it because I’d had issues on Sunday and he wanted to see what was going on when I run.   He said that the more episodes of a-fib that I have while wearing, the more it will help him narrow in on the triggers, origination point within the heart, etc.

And, now back to running.   :-)     I ran 4.15 miles under a marvelously beautiful full moon this morning.   It was awesome!!

Have a Pinktacular day!!   And, may your next run show you the beauty in yourself and in your environment!!

- Sarah

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Sarah, glad to see you can still run.  So, you'll be wearing the monitor while running too?

Baboon, bologna to you!

Scotty, I love the one with the Starbucks Lemonade, LOL.

LRB, s'up?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Pink, nice to hear the 2nd opinion went well.  And HOORAY for running!  Smile

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Sarah - It sounds like this doc is a lot better about studying what is happening specifically for you, rather than just "Oh, you have A, that means we do X."

Good morning, crew!

Yesterday got busy and I didn't have time to check in, but I had started the day with 15 (very slow) miles - my last longish run before the marathon.

Today was 5.4 even slower miles; SRD tomorrow. Summer decided to make an appearance again, with highs finally back up around 90, so DS & I are going to hang out at a friend's backyard pool for a while this afternoon. Two weeks until school starts yet.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies.

That's good news on the 2nd opinion Sarah.

Scotty, walking backwards down stairs, while odd looking, doesn't hurt my quads nearly as much. Thanks for the tip!

Today was marked by the weatherman as the hottest day of the year. It's supposed to be 97ish for the high today. It definitely was humid out. I finished 9 miles @ 8:49 pace. Pretty good for an Easy run. Smile

Have a great day everyone!

- Andrew

LRB

LRB, s'up?

You know me, speed work!

I got out to my new track for yet another tempo workout (my plan is loaded with them), which started off like my last one, a turd.

I was really frustrated there for the first couple of sets trying to hit my paces then decided I would not look at my stupid watch while running and that turned out to be key.

6 X 1200's @ tempo pace w/ 90 second recoveries:

6:58

6:48

6:45

6:50

6:42

6:43

I averaged 6:48 for the set which is off pace but much better than last time and more importantly, I finished strong.  I am finding these workouts extremely tough (mostly mentally) in relation to 5k workouts, because of the extended duration of the sets and every run is on tired legs.  As opposed to 5k training when you are always fresh.

But as with any distance, race day success is born during training, and despite a very tough workout, I actually threw a fist pump up while running my cool down mile home and smiled widely.  Victory, yes!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

So, as soon as it comes in, I will wear a “halter monitor” for 3 weeks so that we get the baseline information.    My first question was “can I run in that”, and he said absolutely.  In fact, he encouraged running with it because I’d had issues on Sunday and he wanted to see what was going on when I run.   He said that the more episodes of a-fib that I have while wearing, the more it will help him narrow in on the triggers, origination point within the heart, etc.

ok now remember to milk this for all it's worth - friends, co workers, us.....  "it's so uncomfortable......it chafes.........it's hot......." you get the gist Wink

I had to wear a blood pressure cuff for 24 hours once - that was bad enough.

meaghansketch

Hi LRB!  Thanks for starting us off.  Nice job on the 1200s.  Faster than last time and finishing strong are both good signs, even if you were off the pace you wanted to hit overall.  I hear you on the 'every run on tired legs' feeling; I'm feeling that myself these days.  How many weeks left to go until your marathon?

Damaris- Hi!  Enjoy your intervals-- hope no asthma attack.

Baboon- Nice run!  Enjoy your easy running this week!

Scotty- nice run, thanks for the comics!

Sarah- I'm so glad that you are more comfortable with this doctor than the last one!  That is so important.  I am sure you will feel confident in whatever decision you make.  And yay for still being able to run!

StepbyStep- Nice 15!  Good luck with your taper!

Burrrrrn- Nice easy run, especially for the hottest day of the year!

4x1000m @ slightly faster than 5K pace today.  4:33/4:32/4:33/4:26.  Yes, I went against my own advice and raced the last one a bit.  Sometimes you can't help yourself Big grin,  Felt good overall.

Zelanie

Morning! I am headed off in a minute, but I wanted to report that I am back to double digits!  Ran 10 last night and felt great the entire way.  It was a lot of fun.

Today I will probably run 6 this afternoon.

Pink- So happy you got that second opinion!

Phil- Can't believe you just announced that you have no meetings!  I whisper that to DH at home, and by the time I get to work I'll have 5 new meetings.