Beginners and Beyond

Don't for get the BandAids next long run Sunday Penguins (Read 41 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' penguins.  One guess as to the origin of the title - yes, I forgot them on my long run yesterday.  Blood soaked through my orange sleeveless shirt by the end of the run - OUCH.  However, it was 10 miles.  Very good strategy run for as warm as it was.  It was slow but I got it done.

Anyone racing today?

Cherie - I'm in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan.  We get the both of best of both worlds - SNOW SNOW SNOW then summer.  LOL  It isn't that unusual to get that warm in the summer.  It has actually been rather mild this year - this week is a warm one though.

hog4life

Another RD for me, 2 night shifts down, 2 night shifts to go.

Vance, OUCH,  a box of circle bandaids has become part of my "normal" gear. Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Ouch Vance!  That's what necessitated my first shirtless run, forgot to tape up, shirt had to come off.

Haven't posted much, but I've had a great week of running, even with the temps/humidity/dew point.  No racing this weekend, have the first of our Summer Series on Tuesday.  It's a three race series on Tuesday nights, all 4 mile fun runs.  First one is the countdown run, I'm trying to decide how hard I want to run it, it's still going to be pretty hot at 6:30pm.

"Adidas Countdown 4, 2 & 1 Mile -  The race clock will start at 75 minutes (6:15 PM) and begin counting down. You pick when you want to start with the goal of crossing the finish line when the clock strikes zero. Everyone should finish together!

New Balance 1 - Mile Random Relay -  Three person teams for the run and two person teams for the walk and youth relays. No need to worry about organizing a team, we will pick your new friends for you.

Saucony Predict Your Time 4 Miler - Record your predicted time before the run. Fast or slow, the winners will finish closest to their predicted time without the help of watches, heart rate monitors, clocks, cell phones, golden pocket watches, or time machines. Phidippides didn’t have a GPS."

This is my first time doing this series, but everyone I've talked to said they're a lot of fun and the parties afterwards are really good (that's really the whole point, just get together and have fun when it's too hot to try to PR).

Heading to the beach today, with some miles later, unless I get attacked by a shark, then probably no running, unless it's just a minor injury, then I'll probably still run. Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

OhOh, double threads.  How do I delete mine?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oww that sounds painful. I just woke up and it's already 85....eww. No running til sunset.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Two Penguin threads and two Dailies threads, what are the chances?!

To the OP, I run with a sports bra, so I don't have that problem.  ; )

Stay safe out there everyone!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  15 miles done with the last 3 super fast.  And, like LRB, I run in a bra, LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Morning Penguins Smile  Happy Sunday!

N-bug, great job on the 10 miles, but owiee on the nips.   Well hopefully the rest of your week won't be too warm.  Figured you only had to deal with cold!

Hi ya, Mitch!

Dave-- wow, that really does sound like a fun series to keep everyone motivated.  Wish we had something like that around here.  Have fun at the beach!

Jerry-- hey ya!   Didn't see your thread!   Ooops!

Hey- LRB Smile, we do weird things occasionally just to get you to come in and smile at us.

Damaris-- dang, good for you on the 15 miles already.

Jack--- loved the pic of Santa Barbara yesterday.  Looks like a nice beach.   I've never been there,  but plan on getting there one of these days. Have fun!

Ginny--- in case you get in here, sounds like you're having a good trip.  It seems like you're always on the road.

Today, I got up at 3:30 and brought DH to the airport.  After dropping him off, running to the bank and Walmart, got home almost 7:30.  Grabbed my coffee & laptop and sitting out with you all now.  Thought about running, but I'm tired and may go back to bed shortly.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Bin Running

Vance, ouch! Anything more than 8M called for some Vaseline at least..
                      Mitch, sorry abt the night shift.. half way there
                      Dave, sound like lots of running and lots of fun.
                      Jerry, hi!
                      Kristin, hope you get you run later.
                      LRB, haa..
                      Damaris, wohoo for 15M!
                      Cherie, you are up so early.. 3.30 is crazy but you have done so much when the day is so young..

Got 6M on trail today and it is difficult for me with all the big loose rock. Super slow but managed to have a great chat with a friend.. Had a great dim sum lunch with family and a great view to boot.. Haze is a distant memory.. Maybe see you next year?

Not happy without a weekly LR, managed to put in 2.5M after dinner..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  3 miles done, which adds up to 30.1 for the week.  I am really happy about that because that was kind of the magic number I was hoping to be able to get back to.  It was probably too big of a jump over last week, but the knee was feeling great, and once I got close to the end of the week, I was too close to 30 not to go for it.

Next week I should really take a cutback, and then hopefully back up to 30 the week after. Smile  Then I hope the stay right around here for a bit until I feel like I'm really solid at this mileage.

Vance- Ouch!  Hope you heal up quickly!

Mitch- Sweet dreams!  Hope the knee and foot are enjoying the rest.

D2- Those races sound like a lot of fun!  It's neat to be able to challenge yourself without it always being just running vs. the clock.

Jerry- Morning!  Thanks for also starting us off!

kristin- Hope the sunset run doesn't have as much full moon as your last run.

LRB- Have a cuppa joe and stay a while!

D- I'm sure you look much better in a bra than LRB. Wink  Nice job getting that fast finish in the heat.

Cherie- Hope you do get to enjoy a nap!  How long us DH away for?  And does that mean extra running time for you? Wink

Bin- Beautiful photo!  So clear!  Glad you had a nice run with a friend.

Docket_Rocket

Bin, nice skyline!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

bin that pic is gorgeous!!! Glad the haze has lifted

Zelanie- HAHAHAHA! Good one! Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Sloooow.

Vance- OUCH! I've had bloody nipples before, but not from running. I'll join the packed into a bra club. Nice work on the 10, peroxide will get the stains out!

Mitch- Hope the next two shifts go by quickly.

Dave- I made the mistake of signing up for a 6:30 race thinking the temperature would've dropped by then. Didn't happen. Not only that, but they started the 5K 20 minutes early. It looks like an interesting race though!

Jerry, hey Smile

Kristin- Have fun on your run later!

Hello LRB!

Docket- Enjoy the rest of your day, nice work on having 15 already! Has your mojo started coming back?

Cherie- Have a wonderful day, whatever you decide to do.

Bin- The sky looks nice and beautiful, very clear. Definitely a massive improvement on that nasty smog.

Zelanie- That's an awesome mileage for the week!

Rest day for me. The shin splints in my left leg are feeling much better, piriformis issues are doing great, but now I'm having trouble with my weak knee. It's not muscle/tendon pain, it's joint pain. I had an MRI when I was 16 that showed low levels of cartilage in my knees and ligaments that were double the length they should be, and both knees are very crunchy. I'm not sure what I need to do, but I think next week I will cut back a bit. I know my right side is out of whack from 5 years of carrying kids on my left hip, so I'm going to start doing more strengthening exercises.

-Dr Google seems to suggest runners knee, which would make sense.

tracilynn

Vance, sorry to hear about the nips.  Whats it like to rip bandaids off hairy nipples?  Or do you guys shave your nips?  Or just clench your teeth and rip em off real fast?  Guys please tell Big grin

Bin's idea of vaseline sounds better than ripping off band aids.  Nice pic.  Have you ever ridden the ferris wheel I see in that picture?  Looks Fun.

Dave, that series sounds like a lot of fun.  I bet you will do well.  It doesnt really cool off here until 8pm either.

Mitch, what's up with this rain?  Sick of it!  Take care

Kristin, enjoy your sunset run

Hey LRB!

Damaris, 15 already.  Wow.  WTG

jerry, hope the hip isnt bugging you too badly today

Cherie, enjoy your nap

Jack, any celebrity sightings out there?

Zel, glad to see your mileage back up so quickly.  What color are your kinvaras?  I got the obnoxious yellow ones.  I did some bulgarian squats this morning and thought of you.  I only did 10 each side though.

Coralie, Im guessing your bloody nipples are from nursing/ extended nursing? Good for you.  Nursed all mine too, including twins which wasnt easy.   Ended up with mastitis with my son.  Brutal.  Hopefully your knee pain is just from the high PB MILEAGE WEEK YOU HAD and will resolve itself with a little rest.

This morning I did my myrtl routine, clam shells, shin splint stuff, some bulgarian squats, stretched and rolled.  Will break out my new Kinvara 4s tonight for 3.5 ish miles.  Woohooooo!

~~~~~~~

Traci