Beginners and Beyond

Coming At You Live - It's The Wednesday Penguins! (Read 35 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

G'day Penguins!

Last night I ran 6 miles in a light spring rain. Ahhh nothing like running thru residential runoff full of herbicides, insecticides, and fertilizer. I guess I'll have weed-free, bug-free, well grown legs!

I'm still so far behind with the race reports and today looks like the start of a mini heat wave. 

Bin - I have a 610. It's more watch than I'll ever need , but if I do need the other stuff I know it's there. I do have to say that I would rather have buttons than a touch screen.

Zelanie - good work getting the miles in. Just remember every setback is an opportunity for a comeback!

Baconista - my wife and I did the Olympic style fencing for a few years. We both did foil but I dabbled in épée and she did saber. We then started doing 15th century period fencing. That is a lot of fun - fencing in the round with two weapons or a weapon and a parry device. Although you could fence with one weapon and actually use your off hand to parry the opponents blade. 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Good morning, Gustav! 

Good morning, Colony.  I'm not sure who still posts in the Penguin thread or if I'll even know most of you.  I just wanted to stop in and say hello.  I miss you guys and have lost my running mojo since Boston.  I ran a ton of miles that week and since then I have been floundering.  I wanted to pop in and follow everyone's posts to help remind me of why running is so great and that I need to just get out there again. 

Happy Wednesday everyone! 

Steph Smile

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 and weights tonight.

Will catch up later as it's pouring and I am afraid of the commute today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning --

Gus -- you did better than me, getting out in the rain.  It was freezing cold in my lab all day, and the last thing I wanted to do after work was to go get wet.  I found something productive to do at home -- we finally grouted our tile backsplash.

Steph -- good to see you!  Hang around for a while and maybe you'll get that itch to lace up your running shoes again.

DR -- hope you make it to the office without too muc hassle

AFM -- I skipped my run last night -- the photo shows what I did instead.  6-7 miles planned for tonight.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - The backsplash looks great!

I did some more gardening last night.  The humidity here is getting pretty nasty from storms to mid-80 temps and back to storms.  It's race week, and I'm not feeling 100%.  So, I kept last nights run short, and ran a short run with P3 this morning.  Now, I need to get my butt in gear and get out the door.  Have a great day Penguins!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Nice job Margo.  Lowe's magically did ours last week while I was at work.

ps: Tried to copy a picture from ipad, but it comes out giant sized.

Bin Running

Thanks all for the GPS recommendation. More or less fixed on 210 as local store don't stock 410. 610 is a little too exp.

Gustav, good job running thru rain and all those "additives".

Damaris, enjoy the run and weight later.

Steph, we missed you.

Margo, nice back splash.

Awood, enjoy the gardening. Have you decided what to grow?

Jerry, morning.

Will do 4 w/ 6x100 strides in a while.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My legs were a tad sore yesterday so I decided no to run.  Went home and mowed the lawn instead.   Good thing because today we have more rain and are on a 'flood watch" since the local creeks and rivers are still swollen from all that rain we got over the weekend.  Sadly, we had another fatality.  A 6-year old boy yesterday wandered out of his yard and ended up down by one of the fast-flowing creeks and fell in and drowned.   Really feel for his family, loss of a child is a terrible thing to experience.

This morning, Gail and I went to Fort Sam Houston at 5 a.m.  She did her walk and I got in 4 miles of run/walk. Felt really good and ran well during my running segments. After we finished and tried to go home, we found we were 'trapped" for a bit.  I had forgotten that at Fort Sam they close some of the roads at 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m., so the soldiers can do formation runs and individual runs along the roads with no traffic interference.  So we drove in circles for a while, lol,until we finally found the open road that let us escape.  I thought it was funny, but Gail got all annoyed because her 'timetable' was thrown off and she had to be at work a certain time and yada yada yada; and me, like a dummy, tried to make a joke of it - which irritated her even more - which then got me annoyed a little.  You'd think after nearly 30 years of marriage, I'd have learned by now when it is a smart time to keep my big mouth shut, lol.   Oh well, just one of those occasional husband-wife 'disagreements' , this too shall pass.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, the good news then, Gustav, is there are no bugs out there for you to swallow as you run through the residential area.

Steph!      Welcome back!  Sorry you have lost your running mojo, but it's understandable, that was a very traumatic experience for those that were there, had loved ones and friends there, etc.  You are probably experiencing a bit of PTSD.  You might think about talking to someone (counselor, your local reverend/chaplain if you have one, etc), that  may help you a bit.   Don't be a stranger here, this place will probably help too, lots of good folks here, and lots who can relate to what you are feeling.

And when it pours in Miami, it REALLY pours!  Stay safe, Damaris!

Wow, Margo, nice.  Can you come remodel our kitchen?  Good luck with your planned miles tonite!

Hope you feel better, Awood!

Hope your strides went well, Bin!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  No complaints from the knee after the 3 miler yesterday, woo!  I have PT today.

Gustav- There were a ton of RRs over the weekend.  I bet that means there will be less than usual next weekend.

Steph- Welcome! Good to see you here again!  I'm sorry that you feel like you've lost your mojo, maybe having some penguin friends will help?  It sounds like you did awesome in that relay!

D- Hope the rain stops before your run later.

Margo- Nice job on the backsplash!  Looks fantastic!

Awood- You don't have your race in your sig.  Good luck to you!

Jerry- That's my style of home improvement too, most of the time.  Or more like just talk about what we will do someday when we have time/money/motivation, hehe.

If I am adding a picture and it's showing up huge in the post, a lot of times I can grab the corner of the photo and drag it until it's the size that I want.

Bin- Good luck with the new watch!  The 610 would have been out of my league, too, if it weren't for a black Friday sale.

Scotty- Sounds like you and Gail just got a little extra cardio work this morning getting your heart rates up by being "irritated" with each other.  Hope the rest of the day goes more smoothly.  So sad to hear about the little boy.  Hoping the rain lets up soon.

Mitch- I had seen that link. Sounds like you have bought yourself a pair of Cadillacs.

hog4life

Steph, hey girl, miss ya. I envy you for the relay, I want to do one before I get too old.

Zel, I kinda wish I didn't get them now, feeling a little guilty about the higher price. If they do okay, I'm sure I won't buy more at that price. I really need to ween myself from the LRS and just buy online.

Came home from work to the sewer line clogged, so instead of a shower and bed, I'm waiting on a plumber. I tried to unclog it myself, but no luck. Back at work last night and climbing stairs made my knee feel a little wonky. It would be nice to have a few more days to not go up stairs. When I attempt to run on Saturday morning as a warmup, I will know if I am able to be a pacer. If I don't get to, maybe I can walk with the back of the pack. I'm pretty sure we have a couple of people just walking.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Hi Steph! Are you still sporting the great socks? Smile

PF: The tile and cabinets go nicely together. That must be some kitchen!

Bin: You can't go wrong witht the 210.

Awood: What are you racing?

I need to get signed up for another race so I can get back on a program. This summer we are probably leaving home for a month or so and that will put a kink in my running. I am hoping to sign up for a marathon in November or December, either in Fresno, Santa Barbara, or Tucson. We'll see...  Today I am going to play drums with another band, kind of like an audition. I am still with my other band but we aren't playing enough. I like to play at least once or twice a month. This weekend I am doing a mud run at Camp Pendleton in San Diego so that should be fun. It's a 10k but it is for fun only. I think there are some hard core people that try to race it but that's not us.  See ya.

Amazonian Princess

G'morning!

Just a quick check in since I'm running late; did 2 miles yesterday and it was the first time I've run in my neighborhood so I turned around too soon and ended up looping the side streets next to my apartment a couple of times just to make 2 miles Big grin Felt really good to get back to regular diet and exercise, and I slept so well last night that I overslept this morning!

Have a great day!

I can. I will. I am. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Penguins all!!  I'm (obviously) running late as well, mostly because I'm actually working at work this week.  I'm out of the office tomorrow, and then I'll probably have to work at work again on Friday, but I guess since they pay me I can't really complain.  I didn't sleep well last night, so DH and I are taking another SRD today, because I wanted that extra hour of sack time.  I'm still not over my cold, so I'm not really sleeping comfortably, and it was way too hot in the house last night.  Tonight there will be open windows!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.