Beginners and Beyond

Thursday's Penguin Parade (Read 24 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning!  Woke up late but still had to start the thread.  Last night's tempo went well, have 8 with strides tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Working from home today.  6 recovery miles later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

4 mile tempo later.

Hiya ladies!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Quick check in for me as I have parent conferences today and tomorrow. I hope to get in some miles on the track later tonight while DD is at swim. Miles on the track are no fun, but that area where the pool is is bad for running so I won't mind. I was hoping for five miles but twenty laps seems like a lot!

Hog: Getting the night splint or sock thing is next. I'm going to give it a little more time.

Have a good day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I missed work yesterday due to snow, so now I'm playing catchup.  It's a little crazy, but not too bad.  Chorus rehearsal tonight, and I think the roads are clear enough for us to make it.  Woo-hoo!!

Zelanie -- yeah, I think everybody's sleeping in a little!

Docket -- enjoy your homework day!!

Jack -- good luck with the run-during-swim tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm sick-ish.... Runny nose is mostly all though. Hopefully that's all it will become. I successfully fought off a cold 2 weeks ago so I'm trying to do it again. I was feeling sick yesterday evening so I skipped my swim. Since i had already decided it was too icy to risk running outside, so since I'm TMing it anyway I can do that at night after work. If I don't feel too crappy I have 2.5-3 TM miles on tap later.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Hey penguins. Got My car back last night.

Been reading comments about all the Yankees making fun of us. I find it pretty distasteful to be honest. For the record I never panicked. I had no issue driving my car all the way home but after sitting in my car for 2 hours and not moving after taking 4 hours to even get to that point I was ready to be home. I figured I could get home quicker on foot.

Also it takes about 2 hours to drive from here to Atlanta and it took a friend of mine 28hrs to get home. That's not his fault nor make him an idiot. It's all the other drivers, mainly the 18 wheelers that think they can drive 70 on ice that has caused most of the major traffic delays...

Sorry to rant but you will never hear me poke fun of people who are having to deal with things they are not accustomed to or prepared for. Let the northerners have a 105 degree day with 75+ humidity and see how they can handle that.

It's all about what you are accustomed to and this kind of weather is very very rare for us.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Howdy! 5X800 with 400 recovery last night.  Felt good.  Recovery at 9 m/m.  Intervals at 7:08 per mile.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Jimmy- I am sure it's all in good fun. Sometimes even small amounts of snow are the toughest when there is ice involved. And of course you don't have the road crews.

Jack- When I do easy miles on the track, I run the outside lanes so that I don't have to do as many laps. I save about a lap every 2 miles in lane 8.

hog4life

Hey penguins. Got My car back last night.

Been reading comments about all the Yankees making fun of us. I find it pretty distasteful to be honest. For the record I never panicked. I had no issue driving my car all the way home but after sitting in my car for 2 hours and not moving after taking 4 hours to even get to that point I was ready to be home. I figured I could get home quicker on foot.

Also it takes about 2 hours to drive from here to Atlanta and it took a friend of mine 28hrs to get home. That's not his fault nor make him an idiot. It's all the other drivers, mainly the 18 wheelers that think they can drive 70 on ice that has caused most of the major traffic delays...

Sorry to rant but you will never hear me poke fun of people who are having to deal with things they are not accustomed to or prepared for. Let the northerners have a 105 degree day with 75+ humidity and see how they can handle that.

It's all about what you are accustomed to and this kind of weather is very very rare for us.

One of my college friends made a remark like this, mostly referring to the Atlanta area. Pissed me off too. Glad you guys are okay.

GinnyinPA

Jimmy - I read a really good explanation about it yesterday, about the fact that you so rarely have weather like this, there's no money in the budget for road salt and plows the way states do who deal with it all the time.  If the winter continues for another six weeks, as expected, even the northern states will be having trouble finding enough salt and gravel and overtime pay for the drivers.  And even up north, you have a lot of idiot drivers who continue to drive 70 mph in hazardous conditions.

Zelanie - good job on the tempo.  Have fun tonight.  Another group run?

Damaris - enjoy your recovery miles.  I take it the congestion is better?

Mitch - enjoy your tempo run later.

Jack - hope the track miles go quickly.  At least at a track you can bring music without having to worry about traffic.

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal.

Awood - nice intervals.

AFM:  very happy at the moment.  My husband lost his wedding ring in the snow a week or so ago.  We weren't sure where, but assumed it was when he took his gloves off to get out a handkerchief or treat for the dog on our morning walk.  It was also possible it was somewhere in the house or garage, or one of the cars, or even tossed onto the lawn as he was shoveling snow.   He wasn't sure when he had last seen it, and it had been loose for a week or so.  Every day as we have been walking, we've looked for it, but we didn't have a lot of hope.  Although there aren't many people out walking in this weather, there are a few, plus kids on the atvs, so we figured if it was on the road, somebody would find it and take it home.  Then today, at the end of our walk, there it was out in plain sight in a stretch we had passed four times a day for the past week.  I have no idea where it has been hiding all that time, but I was so happy to see it.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 5ish this morning for me.. did most of it inside, I think my foot pod needs to be calibrated.

Busy day - not much actual work to do, but getting documents in order for kindergarten apps/income taxes, visited another school this morning, and then I'll picking my poor kittycat up from the vet later. She had most of her teeth extracted this morning :C Out of surgery and waking up now, should be ready to go home after 4 (and after I give them my left arm and firstborn child in payment).

Singer who runs a smidge

jblack, I have friends in Atlanta and other Georgia towns, and I'm really not one to poke fun.  I'm just not sure how the officials claim to have had no forewarning.  I have friends in South Georgia, central Georgia, and South Carolina who knew it was going to snow.  So I'm not sure how Atlanta didn't know it was going to snow.  But yeah, it sounds like the whole thing was/is miserable.

Ginny -- woo-hoo on finding the ring!!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Ginny, that is good you found it. I lost one about 18 years ago, still haven't found it. Wife bought me another, but I can't wear them at work, so it just stays in the safe. I got one tattooed though, so I'll never loose it.