Beginners and Beyond

Facinorous Friday Penguins! (Read 23 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Facinorous - atrociously wicked

So I ran with the running group lastnight from Fleet Feet. So. Much. Fun. We only did 3 miles lastnight because everyone was new to the route we were running but next Thurs they will have a 3 and 6 mile run. Brooks was there as well representing their Brooks Transcend and was letting whoever whanted wear a pair for the 3 mile run. I thought about wearing them but I know my shoes work for me and didn't really want to risk something going wrong. After the race most everyone went back into Rojo (mexican style restaurant) and has some food/beer while we got all kind of goodies from Brooks. We got a cotton-tshirt, a shoe bag, a clothes bag, and some freeze dried ice cream.

The guy I was running with is an elite marathon runner. He just completed a 50 mile, is going to run the Mercedes marathon next week and then will begin training for the Pinhoti 100 miler. Very very nice guy! He was telling me that they are going to try and have a representative there each week from different shoe companies so that we can try out all the new product coming out! Such a cool experience, I'm very excited to see what each run holds for us.

Plan for another 3 or 4 tonight after work. Will probably just be some nice slow comfy miles with the dogs.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I suck at life and had drinks and dinner with a coworker instead of the gym last night....ooooops.

Cousin's wife's brain surgery is at 10:00am!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Kristin - It's ok. I haven't had a chance to get to the gym all week! I'm back on my late shift the next two week though so I will do the weights before work.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Have I started a trend for finding 'vocabulary words' for starting the Penguin thread?  lol.

Well, I did get out after work yesterday and do my run/walk outside, even though the high for us yesterday was only 40 with a 'feels like' temp of 35 degrees.  The wind was pretty brutal too.    I wore shorts, gloves, a base-layer thermal running shirt and a short-sleeved running shirt on top.   I started at the Y and headed into the park near the Zoo.  Once I got onto the trails in the park, it was actually quite pleasant as all the trees gave me a nice wind-break.   Heading back to the Y, the wind was right in my face...BRRRR!  Ended up with 3.2 miles and after I got back to the Y, did my full-body weight training circuit.   I guess I didn't realize how much the wind/cold had affected my legs in shorts - after I got into the shower and turned on the hot water my legs got all 'needles and pins' feeling, like when your hand gets a bit numb when you sleep on it wrong and then the feeling/blood comes rushing back into it.  Owww, owww, owwww, that stung for a little bit!   Even so, very nice run and post-run workout.   Mother Nature is still going whacko for us....it was 25 degrees here when I got up and our HIGH for today will be only 39 degrees, sheesh.  Then tomorrow, we are back into the 60s, go figure!

photo mothernaturemindmakeup_zps21a539e9.jpg

Today is a rest day and tomorrow I do my 8th race of the year, the San Antonio Rodeo and Stock Show 4-Mile Stampede.  The Stock Show and Rodeo in San Antonio is here every February, lasts about 2 weeks, and has a lot of stuff going on from all kinds of rodeo events to concerts in the evenings  - http://www.sarodeo.com/

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck to your cousin-in-law, Kristin, wishing her a very successful operation!  You do not suck at like, young lady!  Sometimes we need to take the time to have drink and dinner with friends, it helps us keep balanced.   Unless you drink TOO much..then you become unbalanced.

Nice, Jimmy, run with friends, dinner, and free stuff, very cool group run!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Dad on the run.

Scotty - Yes, it would appear that you have. I think its cool though! I like new words, not that I remember any of them.

So it would appear that I'm backwards when it comes to dressing for cold weather. It would appear most people will wear shorts but a long sleeve shirt. I wear running tights w/ shorts and a shortsleeve shirt... Just an observation.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Good luck to your cousin-in-law, Kristin, wishing her a very successful operation!  You do not suck at like, young lady!  Sometimes we need to take the time to have drink and dinner with friends, it helps us keep balanced.   Unless you drink TOO much..then you become unbalanced.

Nice, Jimmy, run with friends, dinner, and free stuff, very cool group run!

Don't forget the beer!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I will run tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I suck at life and had drinks and dinner with a coworker instead of the gym last night....ooooops.

Cousin's wife's brain surgery is at 10:00am!

Yay.  I will be thinking of her.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Hi guys! Company dinner tonight. Good to let the boss pay once in a while. Typically chinese food as it's official still Chinese New Year. Wine are good.

Dinner us at 7:30 but I kncoked off at 4:30. So, I changed into running attire and ran a bit. Stopping at home for a shower. Haven't map the run but should be 9 or 10 miles.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning!  We have 9" of snow on the table in our backyard- more than we got in the December storm, which was more than we had gotten in 20 years.  Today we're supposed to get 4-8 more inches before the freezing rain hits.   Luckily, schools are closed.  We don't really salt or plow the roads here, we just sort of wait for it to melt. 

Today is a SRD.  DH and I had been planning to go out to dinner and a movie, but now it looks like dinner and a movie at home.

kristin- Hoping, hoping, hoping that she in in surgery right now and that it's going well!

Jimmy- Glad to see your enthusiasm and confidence coming back!

Scotty- That sounds like my usual weather running temperature!  Might be time to look in to some tights!  BTW, the reason that different schools were open yesterday is that I work for the school district in the next town over from where I live.

D- Glad you had a good bike ride!  Good to have an option for when the lungs aren't cooperating, too.  Are you going to be able to get back on the bike sooner than getting back to running from surgery?

Bin- Good luck getting a good run in after company dinner!  Chinese New Year always reminds me of the first year that we had DD, she was born just before it, and we had her home and the neighbors were having a huge party to celebrate.

Docket_Rocket

I'll ask for sure.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I didn't sleep well last night, so I slept in an extra hour and came in to work a little late.  It's all good.  But I'm really glad it's Friday!!  Yoga tonight, and then I'll be interested to see if the snow they're calling for tomorrow actually materializes.

jblack -- glad you had fun on the group run!!  The goodies sound nice too!!

kristin -- drinks and dinner are never a bad choice!!  Hope your cousin's wife's surgery is going well!!

scotty -- as I was leaving work yesterday, there were a couple of guys' Ultimate Frisbee teams practicing on the field.  Most of them were wearing tights under their shorts ... maybe you should consider doing that!  Though I was secretly laughing that none of them were brave enough to NOT wear the shorts over their tights!

Docket -- have a good run tonight!!  Are you in love with your bike?

Bin -- sounds like a great evening!!

Zelanie -- have fun waiting on the snow melt!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

For your Friday!!

Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.