Beginners and Beyond

Tacyphagia Thursday Penguins (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Tachyphagia:  fast eating.  Which is probably what a lot of folks will do tonight after they get their Halloween candy!

Did hills last night after work.   San Antonio got some pretty good rain after work yesterday, but it stopped right before I went out to do my hills.   Yet rain was still threatening, the skies were quite dark and it was nearly 100% humidity!  You know how it feels when you first walk into a hothouse - greenhouse exhibit?  That is exactly how it felt outside for my run yesterday, gaaack!  It was like a big giant oven mitt was squishing down on my head.  I did my hills in the neighborhood across from a local Y, up-and-down, up-and-down, working my way across the neighborhood.  My last hill, I got slightly dizzy so I called it a day and headed back to the Y.  As soon as I got back inside, it started raining again. NOW it rains?  I could've used that on me during the run.  Mother Nature hates me. Joking  So ended up with a short run/walk of 2.9, but that whole 2.9 was all hills...and these were not baby hills, either!

I am doing a Halloween 5K after work.  This is Running Event #60 for me for the year 2013.    Today is also my Thriday, as I am off tomorrow.   Will be up early tomorrow to take Gail to the doctor, she is having surgery on her toe.   Then Saturday morning is a 5-mile running event, #61, and then #62 will be Saturday night when I do the Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 5K.   Haven't decided yet if I am going to do an event on Sunday morning too, we have 2 local 5Ks being done Sunday morning.  Will see how I feel after my 5K on Saturday night, after 3 races this week, and if I feel good I'll go to one of the 5Ks and just do Race Day Registration.

Oh, and....yay Boston Red Sox, World Series Champions!

PADRunner

Trick or tweet penguins. Morning Scotty

Missed posting yesterday but got in 4 easy, and did 4.75 2:1 intervals this morning.Still getting my runs in just at weird hours. Still running o central time.

Philliefan33

Tachyphagia -- that describes my husband and his siblings.  With eight kids at the table, they learned to east quickly to have a chance at seconds.

Scotty -- You are just a running machine, quite the $ contributor to all of the charities that benefit from your race fees.  I wish I could find a Halloween run tonight, but it seems like they were all last weekend in this area.

PAD -- it doesn't matter what weird hour you run, as long as you run

AFM -- I'll get a few miles in tonight between work and trick-or-treaters.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Halloween Scott, PAD, and Margo and Peeps.

Might not have many trick or treaters with all the rain in the forecast.   Might be a good day for the Health Club.  Weekend starts at 1:00.

obiebyke

Happy Halloween, guys! I'm the party pooper who didn't wear a costume to work. I'm excited to see what my colleagues and students come up with. SRD for me.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Staying off of my feet last night was a good call I think.  Not only does the foot feel better, but I had some aches that I hadn't noticed until they weren't there any more this morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Oh, and Jack....lol...seriously?  That was funny.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Awood: I'm glad I was a source of amusement for you. Wink

Scotty: have fun at the race. I'm sure you will have a lot of pictures.

Hi a Happy Halloween, everyone.

SRD for me.

Zelanie

Morning!  RD here today.  Gonna try to get home in time to walk the dogs before the trick or treaters come.  We have a good neighborhood for kids, so we expect lots of them.  My husband sets up lights and a fog machine, so it's pretty fun.

Scotty- Glad to hear you're still on track for your goal!  Good luck with all of your upcoming races!  I also hope Gail is back on her feet quickly.

PAD- Glad you're getting the miles in.

Margo- Enjoy the run.

Jerry- Happy Thriday!

obie- Sounds like fun!  I'm kinda glad I'm not supposed to wear a costume at my work myself, though.  I would be a party pooper.

Awood- You even do taper madness like a pro.  One day and then done! Wink

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel- I had no idea laying on a hotel bed watching tvmade me a pro...lol  We'll find out Saturday, but I'd sayI have better support than some pros.  You guys rock.  (stupid phone is ignoring some spaces)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm still finding my way around my new laptop ... it took me a few minutes to find Wordpad.  And they didn't copy over some of my files, notably my huge database that I need for my work.  So I downloaded my 8.7 gig zip file yesterday and today I'm trying to move and unpack it.  I think my hamster is getting tired already!!  Chorus rehearsal tonight, and I doubt DH will turn on the lights at the house, so probably no trick-or treaters.  Hopefully not, because we didn't buy any candy!

Scotty -- I struggle with eating too fast, which makes me a doof, I guess, because it makes me feel sort of bloated and stuffed.  You'd think I'd learn!!  Luck to Gail for her surgery!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your runs!!

Phillie -- have fun running around the kids!!

Jerryb -- have a good long weekend!!

Obie -- I didn't dress up either, and didn't bring any candy for the kids' parade, which started 15 minutes ago.  I am a Halloween Grinch this year!!

Awood -- glad the rest helped!!

Jack -- have a good SRD!!

Zelanie -- have fun tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Hello Penguins! Hope everyone's day is going swell. Praying that the rain holds out so we can take our daughter trick r' treating tonight. She's going to be heart broken if she don't get to go Sad.

Picked up some bungee style laces at Academy yesterday. Best 4 dollars spent in a long time. Love that fact that I can just slide my shoes on and off without having to tie / untie and yet they manage to feel snug once on.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is October 31st!  Halloween, of course!

How do you know Dan Quayle is not a witch?

He can’t spell

Why didn't the skeleton cross the road?

He didn't have the guts

What do ghosts eat for supper?

Spooketi

What do baby ghosts wear?

BOOties

Who did Frankenstein take to the Halloween dance?

His Ghoulfriend

What is a vampire’s favorite fruit?

Nectarine

Why do ghosts make good cheerleaders?

Because they have a lot of spirit

What do you get when you cross a duck with a vampire?

Count Quackula

What do eye doctors give out on Halloween?

Candy corneas

Why do ghosts like to ride in elevators?

It raises their spirits

What do you get if you cross Bambi with a ghost?
                              Bamboo

A photographer goes to a haunted castle determined to get a picture of a ghost. The ghost he encounters turns out to be friendly and poses for a snapshot. The happy photographer dashes to his studio, develops the film and sees that the photos are underexposed and completely blank.    Moral to the story: The spirit is willing, but the flash is weak.

Today in history: 

1517 - Martin Luther posts 95 theses on Wittenberg church

1913 - 1st US paved coast-to-coast highway, the Lincoln Highway is dedicated

1922 - Benito Mussolini (Il Duce) becomes premier of Italy

1963 - Ed Sullivan witnesses Beatles & their fans at London Airport

1983 - Ron Grant completes a 217 day, 8,316 mile run around Australia

1988 - 1st Monday Night NFL game; Indianapolis Colts beat Denver 55-23

2011 - The world population reaches 7 billion inhabitants according to the United Nations

Today's Holidays

Halloween

National Candy Apple Day

Trick or Treat for UNICEF Day

Increase Your Psychic Powers Day

Girl Scout Founder's Day

International Knock-Knock Jokes Day

National Magic Day

zombie, piñata,

KEYWORD1  2011-10-31  halloween  all hallows eve  trick-or-treat  trick-or-treating  trick or treat

KEYWORD1  2010-10-31  halloween  all hallows eve  trick-or-treat  trick-or-treating  trick or treat

KEYWORD1  2010-10-26  halloween  all hallows eve  trick-or-treat  trick-or-treating  trick or treat

KEYWORD1  2006-11-01  halloween  all hallows eve  holiday  holidays  candy  candies  leftover  lefto

psychic powers cartoons, psychic powers cartoon, funny, psychic powers picture, psychic powers pictures, psychic powers image, psychic powers images, psychic powers illustration, psychic powers illustrations

psychic cartoons, psychic cartoon, funny, psychic picture, psychic pictures, psychic image, psychic images, psychic illustration, psychic illustrations

girl scouts cartoons, girl scouts cartoon, funny, girl scouts picture, girl scouts pictures, girl scouts image, girl scouts images, girl scouts illustration, girl scouts illustrations

127330 600 Girl Scout Cookie Sales cartoons

KEYWORD1  2009-08-03  and the magic goose continued to make golden eggs and the man continued to col

KEYWORD1  2006-01-29  peter pan  neverland  wendy  wendy darling  parody  parodies  disney  movie

KEYWORD1  attorney  attorneys  law  legal  lawyer  lawyers  court  court house  court houses

KEYWORD1  2003-06-01  harry houdini  houdini  magic  magician  magicians  book  books  author

magician cartoons, magician cartoon, funny, magician picture, magician pictures, magician image, magician images, magician illustration, magician illustrations

knock knock jokes cartoons, knock knock jokes cartoon, funny, knock knock jokes picture, knock knock jokes pictures, knock knock jokes image, knock knock jokes images, knock knock jokes illustration, knock knock jokes illustrations

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I got these from running warehouse, on clearance, and a coupon. $61! 9 miles last night felt great and my feet are happy!