Beginners and Beyond

Whatabouts Wednesday Penguins (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Morning Scotty! I was just about to start the thread, but I didn't have a title. So thanks for beating me to it! Smile

Also, Scotty, I did my plank with shoes this morning BEFORE my workout, and it made a world of difference. 2 minutes!I did aerobics today.

Mitch - I was happy to see your great news!!!

Philliefan33

Good morning Scotty and Mickey.

Went back to read the posts from last night -- that is great news, Mitch!

I'm joining in on the plank challenge -- better late than never?  Last night I could only muster 45 seconds...but that was without shoes.  I'll try tonight before I take my shoes off.

8-9 miles planned for tonight.  It's going to be hot today, so I'll go out in the evening and finish in the dark.  Time to dig out my reflective vest.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Whatabouts:   things or situations with which people are concerned.

So what's up with your whatabouts, Penguins?   Whatever they are, hope they all work out for you!

Today is August 21.  Holidays for today:   Senior Citizen Day (I'm almost one!); it's "Statehood Day" for Hawaii; and National Spumoni Day.  What the heck is Spumoni?  Spumone (from spuma or "foam"), plural spumoni, is a molded Italian ice cream made with layers of different colors and flavors, usually containing candied fruits or nuts.

photo sc1_zps14871912.jpg

photo sc2_zps34f59efb.jpg

photo sc3_zpsfa51a2d1.jpg

senior citizens cartoons, senior citizens cartoon, senior citizens picture, senior citizens pictures, senior citizens image, senior citizens images, senior citizens illustration, senior citizens illustrations

senior citizens cartoons, senior citizens cartoon, senior citizens picture, senior citizens pictures, senior citizens image, senior citizens images, senior citizens illustration, senior citizens illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Skipped the run yesterday afternoon, was starting to feel chilled and fevery - went outside to catch the bus and I would have passed out in the heat if I'd tried to run in that state so it was a good call. An extra day off is never a bad thing for my injury-prone legs anyway.

I have to go into work for a little bit but then I'll be working from home/napping as necessary since I still don't feel totally 100%.. will probably do some bodyweight strength stuff/PT exercises just so I don't feel completely lazy, maybe a yoga video or something. I don't want to actually exert myself but I need to move a little bit or I won't sleep tonight!

I have a confession: I hate planks Blush I did one on Monday and it was long and boring and painful. I made it to 60 seconds before I had to quit, I will try again today. I also wasn't wearing shoes, maybe I'll try it with shoes on today.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mickey - Congrats on the planking.  I haven't tried it yet.

Phillie - be careful out there.  No ninja running.

Scotty- I want those cupcakes.

AFM- 4 recovery miles this morning.  4 more tonight.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Visited the doc today. Given some syrup and antibiotics. The syrups is serious stuff. I am feeling it now. 6.5M done before doc.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Hog: GREAT news!

Bin: I am in week 3 of the Pfitz 18/55 plan.

PF: Marathon relay? Is it 13.1 for you?

Lauren: I'm not a big fan of planking, either. Ironically, I'm too lazy to do core.

Awood: nice! Do you have a time goal yet for your marathon?

Zel: I will either do loops around the peninsula or run to Huntington Beach pier and back for my 15.

As for me, tonight I have 5 miles at recovery pace. Have a good day, everyone.

Bin Running

Jack, pfitz is a good plan. At least to me. Can't wait to see how it will work for you.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Lauren and Bin -- it's no fun being sick.  Get well soon!

Awood -- I'll be careful -- I have no desire to become roadkill

Jack -- it's a four-person marathon relay.   We each do 6-7 miles (the exchange points are not exactly every 1/4 of the distance).  This is primarily a social race for me -- the other three runners are HS teammates that I haven't seen in about 30 years.  Not a one of us was on the track team; we played soccer, volleyball, basketball, and softball together back in the day.

We have a wide spectrum of running experience on the team.  It will be an easy day for one of our runners -- she's a triathlete who does half IronMan races.  I'll use the race as a fitness check for my 11/16 HM.  One runner has never run more than a 5K, and the fourth runner started running specifically for this race.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I still have 10 pounds to lose, 10 1/2 weeks of training, a tune up race, and a 40 degree drop in temperature coming.  I don't really want to limit myself yet.

Hi Pens...

Hog: GREAT news!

Bin: I am in week 3 of the Pfitz 18/55 plan.

PF: Marathon relay? Is it 13.1 for you?

Lauren: I'm not a big fan of planking, either. Ironically, I'm too lazy to do core.

Awood: nice! Do you have a time goal yet for your marathon?

Zel: I will either do loops around the peninsula or run to Huntington Beach pier and back for my 15.

As for me, tonight I have 5 miles at recovery pace. Have a good day, everyone.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Lauren - enjoy the napping.  That sounds awesome.

Bin - Good to hear that you got some time with the doctor and some meds.  Did he say anything about trying to run on the meds?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm running samples in time points for an investigator today, so I have to run the sample at 10:30, 12:30, 2:30, and then tomorrow morning at 10:30.  Not difficult, it's just that I have to keep track of what time it is!!  Quartet tonight, woo-hoo!!  We're supposed to start working on Christmas music, as we have a couple of Christmas gigs scheduled.  Yeah, they probably don't want to hear "My Guy" ...

Mickey -- nice workout!!

Phillie -- have a good evening run!!

Scotty -- good morning!!  

Lauren -- hope you feel better!!  I don't like planks either.  I get bored much too easily!

Awood -- have a good double!!

Bin -- don't try to run on that cough syrup, there's no telling where you'll end up!!

Jack -- have a good recovery run!!

From yesterday -- woo-hoo on your news, Mitch!!  Hopefully the other scan will show nothing much.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Awood, I didn't asked abt the med and running. He might not understand the need to run. Haa.

Hopesmom, I wouldn't recommend running after taking the syrups. I could be anywhere.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

PF: That sounds like a lot of fun for you. Bin: Enjoy the syrup. Awood: Ok, be coy. Let me know your goals in two months. Smile