Beginners and Beyond

Ryan Hall out of NY marathon with yet another injury......OUCH!!! (Read 114 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Let me start this with a facepalm........FACEPALM!!

http://production001.nyrr.org/newsroom/press-release/us-olympian-ryan-hall-withdraws-due-to-injury-from-2013-ing-new-york-city-marathon

I dunno what to say.  I guess I'm glad I got to see him run a few times this year but MAN, this is getting ridiculous!!  He swore he had a "safe" routine to fitness (I figured he wouldn't be as aggressive and thus not near peak form in terms of speed but at least able to finish) for NYCM but apparently not as the article says he broke the "golden rule" by not getting to the starting line uninjured.

(sigh)

Randy

Docket_Rocket

I cannot say I'm surprised.

I hope he heals and gets back on track soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Good lord!

I imagine he will lose some sponsors now.

~~~~~~~

Traci

RSX

That's too bad. I think he pulled out of a half recently so guessed this would happen. I met him this year in Boston.

delicate flower

Greg Oden says, "At least I'm not THAT guy!"

<3

Hip Redux

He needs to come join our Misery injury thread.

happylily

He needs to come join our Misery injury thread.

LOl... that would be interesting. Can someone send him an invitation?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

meaghansketch

After reading the recent RW article on him, I am a lot more sympathetic to him and the struggles he's gone through.

If you train at the level required to be a world-class runner, you're going to be constantly on that edge between not doing enough and doing too much.  There's a lot of competition at the level he runs at.  It's not like most of us where the most important thing is to get to the start line healthy.  For him, there's not much of a point in getting to the start line at all unless he can run a world-class time.  I hope things are able to come together for him in the future.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

He needs an outside observer to help him recognize that line.  It seems his spiritual coaching goes through too many self modified filters to be reliable.

Love the Half

He needs an outside observer to help him recognize that line.  It seems his spiritual coaching goes through too many self modified filters to be reliable.

I tend to agree with that.  One of the functions of a coach is to interact closely with the runner and tell him to pull back when needed.  Then again, I hurt my back sitting in a damn toddler's Elmo chair so what the hell do I know?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ric-G

Smile

seriously, there does seem to be some underlying coaching/ self-coaching issues that need to be resolved. too bad.

I tend to agree with that.  One of the functions of a coach is to interact closely with the runner and tell him to pull back when needed.  Then again, I hurt my back sitting in a damn toddler's Elmo chair so what the hell do I know?

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

I agree.  spiritual or not, his self coaching has not provided him with the results he wanted, so maybe it is time to try something new.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I thought he gave up self coaching?  Anyway, one would think that there is someone involved with his training, he just probably has the final say.  Whatever the case, to DNS on his level is something we cannot begin to fathom, the pressure must be enormous.

That is something like three consecutive marathons he has had to DNS after his mile 10 injury in the Olympic marathon in 2012.  Regardless of what you think about the guy, that would F'n suck.

RSX

I thought he gave up self coaching?  Anyway, one would think that there is someone involved with his training, he just probably has the final say.  Whatever the case, to DNS on his level is something we cannot begin to fathom, the pressure must be enormous.

That is something like three consecutive marathons he has had to DNS after his mile 10 injury in the Olympic marathon in 2012.  Regardless of what you think about the guy, that would F'n suck.

In Boston he, Meb, and the 3rd US Olympian dropped. They had all 6 signed up at 1 point, but Desi dropped also.

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Dayum. That sucks. I haven't gotten all the way through the RW article yet, but self coaching issues aside, I'm starting to think he's got an awful streak of bad luck going. From what I've read, at least some of his injuries have occurred seemingly without warning during easy, no pressure workouts.  I know how frustrated I get not running, but when that's your paycheck, talk about stress and pressure!

Relentless forward progress