Beginners and Beyond

Anyone got a good 8 week marathon program? (Read 115 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This training for an ultra is starting to be veeerrryyy interesting. The first big stepping stone is a marathon on May 26th. I haven't run even a half marathon since 2002 and I've barely gotten into double digits on my long runs. I've got to trust my coach and remember this is part of my training. I'm not trying to BQ there. It'll be a time to try hydration and fueling strategies and test whether my current shoe choice will hold up to longer distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I don't have but maybe look at the Pfitz 12 week program or his multiple marathon 8 week program.  That should give you an idea if you cannot find anything else.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't have but maybe look at the Pfitz 12 week program or his multiple marathon 8 week program.  That should give you an idea if you cannot find anything else.

Actually I'll be following my coach's plan, but input from others can be instructive. I think I need to look at it more like a Marathon Maniac would since it's not a goal race, but more a supported training run.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

I can send you my 2013 schedule for multiple marathons if it helps.

Actually I'll be following my coach's plan, but input from others can be instructive. I think I need to look at it more like a Marathon Maniac would since it's not a goal race, but more a supported training run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I can send you my 2013 schedule for multiple marathons if it helps.

Thanks, that might help looking at the long term picture. I'll message you my email address. My real schedule is quite fluid and we're penciling in workouts only 2-3 weeks ahead because of my work schedule and unknowns about how I'll adapt to the training.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

That's what I do, although I am using a plan as a guide for weeks in between.

Thanks, that might help looking at the long term picture. I'll message you my email address. My real schedule is quite fluid and we're penciling in workouts only 2-3 weeks ahead because of my work schedule and unknowns about how I'll adapt to the training.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

When I read the OP my first thought was "why don't you just listen to that coach"?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

LRB

Work your way up to 10 miles per day 5 to 6 days per week, and run it off of that.

happylily

What are your intentions? To run the entire distance or to run/walk it?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

paulski66

miscreant

I think it's stupid to try to run a marathon in 8 weeks if you're currently barely running double digits for your long run. Not un-doable, but not very bright, either.

ETA: But LRB's suggestion seems pretty solid, if you really must do this.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Not sure if I will get bashed for this, but the Hal higdon site has a plan for multiple marathons.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What are your intentions? To run the entire distance or to run/walk it?

I probably won't know until a week or two before the race.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think it's stupid to try to run a marathon in 8 weeks if you're currently barely running double digits for your long run. Not un-doable, but not very bright, either.

ETA: But LRB's suggestion seems pretty solid, if you really must do this.

Like I said, it's a training run. I have 6 months to train for my ultra when I hope to run 50M in 12 hours. At this point, and until I start getting my long runs up a bit, I don't know if I will try to run non-stop or whether I'll already be incorporating a run/walk technique since I expect to use that at the ultra.

Prior to vacation and getting sick last week I had built my mileage up to 30-35 mpw consistently and hit a high of 40 just before vacation. Since I usually keep my long run to 25-30% of weekly mileage, the longest I had run was 10.7 miles. Under a coach's direction I will be gradually increasing my long runs. I don't know at this point when I will be swtiching to a run/walk pattern.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

happylily

George, I would think that of all the people here on this forum, you are the most knowledgeable among us. I feel very uncomfortable giving you suggestions for training...

What if you just increased your LR in a sensible manner, like you are familiar with, and come race day, I'd suggest you do like my SO did in his first HM, untrained (which is sort of what you will be for the marathon...): run without stopping for as long as your longest training LR was, then switch to a run/walk method.

This is so unlike you and what you've said in the past that it has me totally confused...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, I would think that of all the people here on this forum, you are the most knowledgeable among us. I feel very uncomfortable giving you suggestions for training...

What if you just increased your LR in a sensible manner, like you are familiar with, and come race day, I'd suggest you do like my SO did in his first HM, untrained (which is sort of what you will be for the marathon...): run without stopping for as long as your longest training LR was, then switch to a run/walk method.

This is so unlike you and what you've said in the past that it has me totally confused...

It caught me off balance as well, but I've got to trust my coach to know what he's doing. He does know my background, age, and recent running history. We're in the process of increasing my long run. This should be no more than another step in that progression, though it may be a big one.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K