Beginners and Beyond

Thumpin' Thursday Penguins! (Read 27 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone. No run yesterday but did workout @ the gym. My sister is in volleyball this year and mom says she is clumsy and needs to gain some strength, the good news is strength training helps with balance so she has been coming to the gym with me Smile

Had the privilage of dealing with a migraine all day yesterday so I was pretty much out of it from Tue night until around 11am Wed. Did manage to finally get rid of it and went to Dick's and bought something very similar to "The Stick". Not sure if I like it yet or not though... wondering if I should have went with a foam roller.... oh well, time will tell.

Going to try and get out and run tonight and see how the leg feels, I really don't know what the problem is all of the sudden. I take off several weeks to heal up from an injury and now everytime I try and start back something hurts :/ very annoyed.

Hog - I would like to do it again, I had a lot of fun last year with it. I will definitely talk to Ashley about it. Hopefully she will be out of her first trimester by then and she will run/walk it as well.

Traci - I see your miles are increasing, are you still doing the minimal running? If so have you noticed that it has helped you stay more injury free?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Jimmy, thanks for starting us. Just let me know as it gets closer so we can make some plans to eat. I have the "Stick", it did very well for my calf muscle when it was bother me, not sure how to use it for IT band stuff. I hope your leg gets better. How are Bobby and Melanie doing?

I did 5 miles last night at 9:36 pace, which use to be my normal easy pace, but now it kind of feels like a tempo pace. At least I was able to push through it, things are getting better. Bella got a 1.25 mile walk/run afterwards.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

8 miles done this morning, loving the cooler weather, 61*, 57* dewpoint! First time the dewpoint has been in the 50s in some time.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Hog - Bobby did something to his leg, it was causing minor pain and he went for a easy run around the park and felt a pop in his calf and he really hasn't done any running since, that was about 6 weeks ago... He says every time he tries and run he starts hurting. I have told him on numerous occasions to go to the doc but he's stubborn. I think Melanie is still running a little but not like they were.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!!  Wedding weekend begins, but working today to stay out of the way.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Smart man!

Morning!!  Wedding weekend begins, but working today to stay out of the way.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  We are finally getting a bread from the humidity, so maybe I'll be able to meet my target pace for the tempo run planned this afternoon.

Dad on the run.

Man, I wish we got bread every time it was humid outside. I love bread. Smile

Good morning everyone.  We are finally getting a bread from the humidity, so maybe I'll be able to meet my target pace for the tempo run planned this afternoon.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  13 miles done this morning.

Wedding weekend, Jerry?  Awesome!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

hog: don't worry about your pace; at least you are out there doing it.

D2: great weather!

Jerry: good call. Just drink beer and stay on the sidelines. Smile

Scotty: the Asics are nice! If they are still on clearance I am going to get one more pair.

no break in the heat for me. It will be well over 100 again and I have a 10 mile run. Ugh...

Zelanie

Morning, pens!

Had fun at the track last night.  My RP who is my pace came and ran the whole thing with me.  This time I ran the whole thing and didn't cut it short.  4 x 1000 at T pace with 3:00 recoveries, and 6 x 200 at R pace with 400m recoveries (OK, those were supposed to be 200m recoveries but I did want to be careful there).

Hit my paces really well, felt good the whole way!  I realize that's because tempo pace is usually supposed to be for longer than 5:00 intervals, but it's been a good way to ease back in to speedwork.  And I felt fresh for the 200s, which was good.  Almost 8 miles total.

Today I will run 5ish easy, with the group if my meeting gets out early, or alone if it doesn't.

And I did a 2:40 plank this morning!

We are dogsitting this weekend, so Zoe and Mia have a German Shepherd playmate.  Just like toddlers, Mia and Molly (the visitor) got all the dog toys out last night.

Jimmy- I bought a Stick for traveling, but at home I think I prefer the roller.

Mitch- Your pace will come back, I'm sure!

D2- Glad the humidity has dropped over there!

Jerry- Good idea!

Awood- Morning!

Margo- Good luck on the tempo run!

D- Nice run!

Jack- Bring water!  Yikes!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Thursday, Penguins!  This morning I ran at Fort Sam Houston.  Got 3.3 miles in on another cooler morning for us, only 72 degrees, and low dew point, very nice.   I guess Mother Nature is giving San Antonio somewhat of a break with these cool mornings, as we are still hitting the 100-degree mark in the afternoons.  Made it to 101 actual temp yesterday and today's predicted high is 100.  For this summer we now have had FORTY days where it was 100 or above 100.   The run was nice.  They gym was bad.  Hadn't been to the Fort Sam gym for a while since I've been using the YMCAs and the university gym.  I'd forgotten how in the early a.m.  most of the soldiers are using the gym too, doing their exercises, fitness tests, etc.  CROWDED, hard to find an open gym locker,  and post-run had to wait a while for a shower to get free..and pretty warm as the locker room only has ceiling fans.   Guess the YMCA has spoiled me, lol.

Today is Sep 5!  The start of Rosh Hoshana this year for our Jewish friends, if I remember correctly.  Other holidays for today are National Cheese Pizza Day - a food I LIKE!; Be Late For Something Day; Gas Pump Day - the first one was installed in 1885 in Fort Wayne, Indiana - and also today, Muhammad Ali won the gold medal in boxing in the 1960 Olympics, light heavyweight division.

KEYWORD1  2007-07-15  driving  car  cars  directions  movies  movie  rocky  rocky balboa

KEYWORD1  2005-06-26  busy  busy bee  busy bees  busier  beaver  beavers  mammal  mammals

boxing cartoons, boxing cartoon, boxing picture, boxing pictures, boxing image, boxing images, boxing illustration, boxing illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Jimmy, thanks for starting.. Let ius know how you like "the stick".. It's easier to bring ard as compared to foam roller..
                              Mitch, speed will come back.. don't worry..
                              Dave, sound like a great run with better temp..
                              Jerry, are you still doing the twerk? If yes, we will need video..
                              Awood, hi!
                              Margo, I like bread too.. With Nutella.. Hope you nail those tempo.. a mantra I used while running tempo.. "left toe, right toe, keep up the tempo".
                              Damaris, congrats on the 13.. I still can't  figure out the wordings what is on you new avi..
                              Jack, tough running a 10 on those weather.. TM maybe?
                              Mel, good job coming back.. coming nicely just in time for that HM..
                              Scotty, sorry abt the packed gym..
                              9.5M done on the indoor track..
                              Just realised I saw someone jumped off the bldg 2 days ago.. I was jogging at the 26th floor track and I saw something that looks like a bamboo of dark clothings fell from somewhere higher.. I didn't put on my specs and I thought it was that.. Until last night, my neighbour told me someone jump off from the bldg at that time.. Man, just sad..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  I had a meeting this morning, so I'm just getting around to checking in with the flock.  No running today, chorus tonight!!

A couple of personals -- Scotty, I slept through my alarm and was about a half-hour late for work, so I got that Be Late for Something Day covered!!

Bin, so sorry to hear about the jumper!  That makes me sad ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.