Beginners and Beyond

BAA 10K RR and all that jazz (Read 64 times)

Hip Redux

Executive Summary:   Asked Baboon, MBC, and Mr. Oski if they were interested in this back in May ... and of course they were and so I marked the registration day on my calendar - good thing because I believe they sold out within a day or so.  This was only my second 10k ever.  I didn't really go in with a goal and just wanted to run and have a good time.   Success!  Garmin time:  1:00:02.     Not a PR, but not too far off, either.

The details:

This was the first BAA event since the marathon - so a lot of tributes and such for the marathon bombings and the first responders.   We were instructed to wear our blue and yellow, so I was decked out in my BAA marathon tee I bought in April.    The race starts and finishes on Charles St, Boston Common.

Mile 1 - The corrals were so packed, we couldn't even get into the corral until the first few waves went out.   MBC and I went out with the 9-10mm wave and spent most of the first mile dodging people who belonged in the wave behind us.  Such is life. Mostly on Comm Ave, and quite a few spectators cheering us on.     9:42

Mile 2 - Feeling pretty comfortable here.  Nice shady part through BU and flat as a pancake. We passed the elites here on the way back and that was awesome and deserved its own thread. Big grin  I could tell my blister problems were back with a vengeance.  Thought to myself 'Gonna be a long day if it's starting at mile 2.'  9:29

Mile 3 - This was the start of a pretty rough out and back along Comm Ave that was just a sea of people baking in the sun.  No shade, a little breeze and the only hill.   I pretty much roasted, and I spent most of this mile bitching to MBC.  (she's used to it though)   Here we passed Baboon (high fives all around!), my sister in law and another friend heading back.   This mile ended at the turn around point.  9:44

Mile 4 - The rest of the out and back.  At least this part was the downhill to the mile 3 uphill, but still hot as hell.   9:41

Mile 5 - OK, back into the shade of some tree and buildings!   Phew.  I think it was at this point that I pretty much wanted to be done with running.  lol   My foot was on fire and I knew the blister had started to take over most of my foot (ok, maybe not, it just FELT like that!)  I just tried to concentrate on finishing - the longer I was out there, the hotter it was going to get, so no point wasting time feeling sorry for myself or my poor foot.  9:37

Mile 6 - I have done several races along this route and this part back to Boston Common always feels like an eternity.   I hit the final turn with absolutely NO kick.  None. Zilch.  9:36 and  final 0.2 10:00 (told ya)

Crossed the finish line and then waited for MBC (only a few seconds behind me at this point) and we congratulated each other and then I said "I want my medal!"    Ridiculously excited for a 10k medal.  Big grin

After the race was an awesome breakfast, regaling the tales of the day and a lot of coffee.   All in all, a great day.

A few photos, a la Oski-style:

The start line:

The crowd of runners along Comm Ave:

Waving! (the arm with no person is MBC!)

Thanks for reading!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, very consistent on the splits.  Good luck figuring out the blister issue - sounds like a real pain.  It probably would have been too hot to run in the full Oski costume huh?  Those crowds would have made me batty...good job staying patient.  Congrats on 10k number 2.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, Oski!

Glad you guys had a great time and that you ran well.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I love your pictures, Oski. They remiind me of my week in Boston. What a moving and special race it must have been for everyone there! Congratulations on your race, excellent splits! So sorry to hear that you are still fighting the blister monster, though. :-(

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Good stuff Oski, too bad that blister was bugging you.

Zelanie

Congrats on a well-run race!  I think it would be fun to run a 10K with that many people. Smile

delicate flower

HOORAY!  That was a great day.  Smile  Nice job on the race, Oski.  Excellent splits.  It certainly does look crowded in those pics.  Do it again next year??

<3

Hip Redux

HOORAY!  That was a great day.  Smile  Nice job on the race, Oski.  Excellent splits.  It certainly does look crowded in those pics.  Do it again next year??

I'm in!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Mile 3 - This was the start of a pretty rough out and back along Comm Ave that was just a sea of people baking in the sun.  No shade, a little breeze and the only hill.   I pretty much roasted, and I spent most of this mile bitching to MBC.  (she's used to it though)   Here we passed Baboon (high fives all around!), my sister in law and another friend heading back.   This mile ended at the turn around point.  9:44

That's because you were nice enough to pull me along for 4.8 miles.

Nicely done! Sounds like a great event & a memorable experience.

I know that with the heat & your foot problem, you were singing "Let me go on, like I blister in the sun".

Dave

Hip Redux

Nicely done! Sounds like a great event & a memorable experience.

I know that with the heat & your foot problem, you were singing "Let me go on, like I blister in the sun".

I will never be able to get another blister without that getting stuck in my head now!     :bops head to song:

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

sounds like a great race.... nice splits!! Must be fun to have a crew to race with.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report!  Congrats on your race!

Wait..there is no photo of you and Mountain Biker Chick together?  I am SO disappointed!  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Nice report!  Congrats on your race!

Wait..there is no photo of you and Mountain Biker Chick together?  I am SO disappointed!  Joking

Actually, there is, from the pro photog.  You can see part of MBC and like, my shoulder. lol  It's a great photo of the guy standing in front of us though!  Joking

B-Plus

Nicely paced race. Thanks for sharing and the pics.