Beginners and Beyond

SpiBelt, FlipBelt, etc...... (Read 84 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Curious as to what folks might be using as of late.  I'll be honest, it's more for my cycling since I got bike shorts than for running but would like it for both as time change is coming and might need to drag my phone w/ me if I run after work, near work.  And, I refuse to wear arm bands.  It'll be a waist pack/belt or I'll literally wear a string backpack.

Flipbelt looks like a smart idea except $30 is pretty rich for such a simple product.

Randy

Hip Redux

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks, Oski and I rode w/ a guy who had all that stuff but I just want something for my key & phone.  That's it.  And I think if I can get something I can run with then I'd probably take my phone with me too which I know the wife would love as I've never done that before.

I can't quite tell if SpiBelt can hold a phone or not and one of the reviews I read said it couldn't and another said that even if it could, the Spibelt will wick sweat & that could render your phone wet too.  (shrug)

Randy

Little Blue

I have an Amphipod belt, which is pretty much the same as Spibelt.  It fits my flip phone, keys, ID, and I'm sure I could cram a Gu in there if I were so inclined.

It also doubles as a belt to secure my tights, which are slightly too large.  And surprisingly, doesn't bounce at all.  I forget it's there.

Amphipod belt

Supersono99

I really like my flipbelt. My only complaint is that the openings are sometimes hard to find as they blend in so well. I only use it to carry my phone and it is very comfortable and doesn't bounce or cut into me at all. I have also put my id in it for races. I liked it over my spibelt as the spibelt buckle chaffed me and the elastic was uncomfortable to me. My flipbelt just seems like my waistband.

Docket_Rocket

In the past, I have used both.  Now I pick shorts and skirts with many pockets and I don't carry anything.  Out of the ones I have tried, they all bounce on my hips but the one that bounced the least was the Flip Belt.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

My iPhone fits in my spibelt.   The pocket is real stretchy

~~~~~~~

Traci

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

With a spibelt, if you sweat your shit gets wet.

It will hold a large phone, you would just need a ziploc bag.

Runner with a riding problem.

Supersono99

With a spibelt, if you sweat your shit gets wet.

It will hold a large phone, you would just need a ziploc bag.

same thing with the flipbelt, it comes with a Ziploc to start out with.

RunswithBeer

I use the SpiBelt. iPhone, keys and id, no problem. Doesn't bounce. It's great. Do use a ziploc bag for your phone.

tracilynn

My spibelt came with a removeable waterproof pouch thingy. Works great. Use it when I kayak too.

~~~~~~~

Traci

outoftheblue

The spibelt holds my iphone, keys, money, etc. without a problem.  I do wrap my phone in saran wrap for long runs to keep it  from getting sweaty.

Life is good.

I use a SpiBelt and it fits my (ginormous) Galaxy S4. I don't have any issues with bouncing, but I think it encourages my shorts to ride up. That might be a problem with any sort of belt, though.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

delicate flower

Another vote for the SpiBelt.  I wear it around my hip bones with the pocket in the back.  It does not bounce at all and I barely notice it's there.

If you're looking for something for biking though, see Oski's post.  I see no reason to keep something on your body when you can just tuck it into a small saddlebag.  Plus, you said you just want  "something for your key and phone."  Son, if you are biking, get a spare tube and tire levers and keep them in your saddlebag.  You WILL get a flat tire soon. 

<3