Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins You Can Take This Snow And Shovel It! (Read 37 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Colony!

Yesterday was a weight day at the gym and core at home. Today is cross training with the snow thrower followed by 2 miles in the winter wonderland!

Scotty - hope you're feeling better after your procedure

Damaris - seems like you've been having a fit with your asthma again - hope you can get it figured out .

Now everyone go out and get their weekend on!

~

Walk with the wise and you become wise, but the companion of fools fares badly!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Jen16226

Good Morning!

I hope all the Penguins that got hammered by snow are all OK.  I have been reading some of my friends totals from back home and am just amazed by them getting anywhere from 24-30 inches!  Holy crap!

For myself, 5K this morning and of course I wake up and am sneezing and coughing. LOL  Oh well, maybe the run will force it all out of me!  It is 22 out right now with a "feels like" of 9.  Lovely.  I know I have a warm enough top layer, but not sure on DSD.  We will see when she gets up.

Gustav- enjoy your run!

BBL

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

hog4life

Gustav, snow moving is definitely cross training.

Cheri, how long did I take you to get your miles built up for a full? When I run a 15 miler a couple weeks ago, the increased distance showed it's ugly face.

I tried to run last night and barely made 2 miles. I think I figured out part of my funk from this week. It started with the training trip, pulling on all them ropes and climbing stairs on a 6 story building multiple times each day, plus toting the equipment bags, has made me very sore. The other thing, is that for the past few months, I have been working 40-45 hours per week, and this week I will end up with 64 hours. So I have been on my feet a lot more. Last nights run that I cut short was because my feet were hurting and I was just plain tired. I'm switching to 3rd shift this next week and I hope that I can get recovered for next Sunday's half marathon. I will just look at thi week as part of the taper.

Mitch

hog4life

Good luck Jen!

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Oof, I am sore as hell today - think I might dial back the lower-body lifting a bit in favor of adding in another day of running (short, recovery pace). Hit 125x5 on my squat and 165x5 on my deadlift. I weigh a hair under 120 so I'm over my bodyweight for both now Smile

I have not even attempted to go outside yet. We've gotten at least 20" of snow here!

Bin Running

Jen, good luck with the 5k.

Mitch, the work is already done. Taper and rock that HM.    .

My ankle is not more sore than previous day. So, I think my ankle is getting better.

Today is the eve of Chinese new year when most family get together for a reunion dinner. Will try to squeeze in 5-6M tmr.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!!

Gustav- enjoy your snowy miles!

Jen- Good luck at your 5K!!

hog- sounds like you really need a rest!

Lauren- wow you're strong!

Bin- Good news about the ankle I hope it continues to heal! Happy New Year!!

AFM- Just being lazy this morning for now. I am drinking coffee and just read RedSparkle's RR. I may not even leave my apartment today. The plan for now is crosstraining using all the great stuff I have in my apartment that I rarely ever use.... aka my Wii exercise stuff (Zumba for Wii, Just Dance 2, Wii Fit) so in a bit I am going to do cardio and such with the Wii, and then do some stuff with my stability ball and 5lb weights. I realized I have been really, really neglecting my arms and haven't done a proper arm workout in forever....so I will definitely be doing arms. Also, core, and hip stuff.

Have a good day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Good luck out there, and thanks for the wise words!

Jen - I hope you can clear that out before the race.  A hot shower usually helps me with congestion.  Just remember, the faster you run the sooner it's over :-)

Mitch - Sounds like a week of heavy cross training.  Try to get some extra rest where you can this weekend.  It should go a long way toward recovery.

Lauren - You're making great progress!  It sounds like today's going to be another upper body day for you though.  Shoveling snow is a heck of a workout :-)

AFM - I might go out for a short run today to keep the legs loose for tomorrow's race.  It won't be anything like a normal weekend run though.  My weight has been slowly continuing to drop.  I occasionally see 22X on the scale after a run, but I've yet to wake up under 230.  Today was the closest though.  I woke up at 230.5.

I'm feeling pretty good about that, and my chances of getting that sub-25 5K.  I went out last night and got a new race outfit.  I've been running all of my races in the same outfit, but I've continued to lose a lot of weight.  It's hard to believe that my weight is right in line with the plan I put together for my half.  If I come into the March 24th half at 220 pounds, and much better training than my first half, I don't have a clue what my time could look like.  My first half was at 240 pounds, and 400 miles of training.  I have logged over 450 miles since then, and will put in probably another 300+ before the race.  I feel like I'm accomplishing something every day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats on the weight loss awood!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - Enjoy your celebration, and take care of that ankle.  If you can't race, then you can't wear your headband.

Kristin - I've never tried the Wii, but it looks fun.  If you're part of that winter storm region, then I think Wii workouts are an acceptable plan.  Enjoy!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Congrats on the weight loss awood!!!

I am going to try to get down to 200 for my full marathon in November.  I haven't been that small since my sophomore year of high school, when my wrestling coach told me to bulk up because he was going to make me the varsity heavyweight.

When I get there, I want to post a picture of me at 315 pounds wearing my powerlifting medal nationals, and a picture of me at 200 pounds wearing my marathon medal.  Yes, it's weird to have a "brag" goal, but I like it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin - I've never tried the Wii, but it looks fun.  If you're part of that winter storm region, then I think Wii workouts are an acceptable plan.  Enjoy!

YEs we had a blizzard last night....the snowfall has stopped but blizzard conditions are supposed to continue until 1:00pm meaning high winds and low visibility due to snow being blown around. And I have NO idea what the sidewalk and road situation may look like out there. So yeah, I feel like I may just stay indoors with my Wii Smile

Bin Running

Awood, congrats in the weight loss. Yes, for the sake of my headband, I need to heal up. Haa. I do have a 10k tune up race on 28feb. So happy I will get to put him on. Tongue

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 7 recovery miles and it's so hot, sunny, and humid, I got a huge tan during it.   Summer is here (well, it never left but still....)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page