Beginners and Beyond

Wonderful Wednesday Penguins! (Read 30 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Good morning everyone!  Sorry for my confusing post yesterday.  The MOVIE Nebraska was good.  Really touching.  DH had some more mixed feelings about it, but we watched it with his dad, so it was maybe a little more personal in some ways.  His mom, dad, brother, and one of his mom's friends all came, so that was nice.

Today I have 2 x 2 @ tempo, 8 miles total.  The Wednesday track group is doing a time trial this week for people who need to know their paces, and they are running right where I need to pick up DD.  So I will probably run there, even though I'm not doing the TT, just to have the company.

hog4life

Zel, you are becoming a speed work Guru.

I hope to get 4-5 after work. No new news on FIL, still waiting to hear when they will set the surgery date.

Bin Running

Mel, enjoy the speedwork.

Mitch, Hope some good news for your FIL.

Easy 5M done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!  On the road today.  Hoping to sneak in 5-6 on the hotel treadmill.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I took the advice people here had about not swimming with a stuffy nose and skipped the swim last night. I did an hour of strength training at home though instead. 6:00am spin class today kicked my butt but in a good way!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Wonderful Wednesday!

Zelanie-- wow @ the family movie time.  That sounds really awesome.  Good luck with your miles tonight.  I agree with Mitch, you are the speed chick guru.

Mitch, Bin, Awood--- Hey all!

kristin-- you've been great about staying active during this injury.

I'm being lazy right now, but hope to get some miles in shortly.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Yo!  In court all morning so it's only now that I have a chance to check up with y'all.  7 miles tonight.

I did not run last night.  Throat was very sore from all the coughing and stomach wanted to kill me then.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

Hey all. I'm back! More in the injury thread, but the upshot is that I'm cleared to run at 50% volume, so I'm going out for 2 miles after work. Super excited!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

What up all? Cold and rainy this am so 4 miles on the indoor track at the gym. That's 56 laps, like going around on a carousel! My hip bursitis has been barking at me and someone suggested doing a run/walk 5 min running 1 min walking. I didn't really want to because I'm stubborn, but wow! Made a huge difference in how my hip and legs overall felt during and after the run. And my overall pace was even a little faster than normal for me. Seems counter-intuitive to go faster by walking part of your run, but there are thousands of Jeff Galloway followers who swear by this method, and I think they may be onto something.

I will try it again on my long run (10 mi) Sunday and see how it goes.

Ran 3 miles this morning.  Kinda stiff, slow, and labored.  But did them!

Had a soccer game 30 hours prior, where I had run the whole game (no subs).  That was a big accomplishment for me.  The mix of sprints, jogging, weaving, backing, waiting, running, sprinting again, etc, is a good test of physical condition.  My morning run was a recovery from that Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Well, by far the worst part of my scan was the radioactive smoothie, which was nasty.  The tech told me later that I could've flavored it with chocolate syrup without causing any problems ... of course that was two hours too late!!  But DH and I went out for breakfast afterwards, so that's all good.  Don't know if I'll go for a walk today -- I have quartet practice tonight, so I'm going to trash my knee then.  Woo-hoo!!

Zelanie -- ah, a MOVIE!!  Sounds like a nice family experience!!

hog -- good luck with your after work run!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

Awood -- good luck on the TM!!

kristin -- wow, you are NOT slacking at all!!

She -- hope the lazy fades and the miles come!!

Docket -- have a good 7 tonight, and hope you're feeling better!!

obie -- let me know what the PT has you doing for runner's knee!!  I'm focusing on walking, squats, and clamshells.

SO -- glad the run/walk worked so well for you!!

OFS -- glad you had a good recovery run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Doc just called, and my CT scan was just fine!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went to the gym after work yesterday and did an hour weight training circuit.  Today is a run day after work.  Sunny and 69 degrees.  On my drive-home from work, I will stop at one of the many local parks I have available to me and run a mix of roads and trails.  FLAT roads and trails, after hills on Monday and weight training yesterday.    While at the gym yesterday I encountered a running friend I hadn't seen in a while, who was also doing some weight training.  We had a nice chat and he told me he'd recently adopted a dog that he found wandering on the grounds (he works for University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, which is a medical school and also a medical treatment facility).  He took it to a local no-kill shelter, got it all examined, checked, shots, etc, and then adopted it - some kind of lab mix doggie, so good running dog for him.  Because he found the doggie on the grounds of a medical facility, he named it "Howser" and told me that means the dog's full name is "Doggie Howser."  Funny... 

Wow, family movie affair, Zelanie.  Good luck with your running tonite.  All that speed work!  You know, no matter how fast you get, you still can't outrun the Oregon rain. 

Good luck with your miles, Mitch.  Hope everything goes well for your FIL.

Congrats on getting your easy 5 done, Bin.  What time is it in Singapore right now?

Safe road trip, Awood!  Is it winter too where you're traveling too, or do you get to go someplace sunny and snow-free?

Hope you're feeling better, Kristen!  Weight training AND spin class!  I think you earned some nap time!

Have fun with the miles you get in, Cherie!

Damaris, when is your surgery scheduled for?  You're not going to run to the hospital, are you, to get some more miles in?   Sorry about the throat and stomach issues, hope you feel better.

Yay for being able to run some again, obiebyke!  Take it easy, though...no relapses!

56 laps!  Dang,SO42, that is a lot of patience!   Yeah, run/walk does give your joints a bit of 'stress relief", which is why my doc has me doing that, because of my spinal arthritis.  I DID try to ignore him when he first told me to do run/walk when my arthritis first got severe, and I ended up paying the price...OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!  So I learned my lesson, and it's run/walk for me now for the rest of my running life, probably.  Hey, it could be worse..at least I can still do some type of running.  Good luck with your long run!

YAY for good results, HsM!  Flavor it with chocolate?  I got a colonoscopy coming up..I wonder if they'll let me do that with that prep stuff they give me to drink...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Hi Penguins!!  Well, by far the worst part of my scan was the radioactive smoothie, which was nasty.  The tech told me later that I could've flavored it with chocolate syrup without causing any problems ... of course that was two hours too late!!  But DH and I went out for breakfast afterwards, so that's all good.  Don't know if I'll go for a walk today -- I have quartet practice tonight, so I'm going to trash my knee then.  Woo-hoo!!

She -- hope the lazy fades and the miles come!!

Those smoothies are the worst.  Even with flavoring they're still awful.  It's almost be a sin to ruin the taste of chocolate by putting it in there.

Obie and SO42-- glad you both hanging in there.

OFS-- soccer is an excellent conditioning sport.  Good for you for hanging in there.

Scotty-- LOL@ Doggie Howser!  Enjoy your flat, beautiful day run!

Lazy faded enough, so I pushed myself out the door, and ended up with a good, challenging 8-1/2 mile run.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson