Beginners and Beyond

First Run with My Heeler mix Rocky (Read 199 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I promised Molly that in her passing I would spend more time with Rocky, training him in becoming a great dog and getting him as close to her level of awesomeness as I could.  I've taken care of him, ensuring him a healthy, happy life while always keeping a distance for fear of making Molly feel abandoned or ignored. Rocky turned 3 this past October, and I see a lot of promise in him if I just steer him in the right direction so I made a promise that I would train him into becoming my running partner though I was concerned because he is very sporadic and nuts on a leash. Tonight I took him for a 2 mile run and was amazed at how well he did, he was a bit confused at first, not knowing how to "set" his speed with me but by mile 2 he settled in right next to me at a trot and kept it up. I think he could have gone 3 or 4 miles but I don't want to push him yet. I am excited, I look back wishing I had started running 6 or 8 years ago when Molly was young and could  have handled 5-10 miles no problem but I am going to try and make it up to her by bonding with Rocky and exploiting his potential. Here are a few pics of him, and her together.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Awwwww.  So cute.  Hope he makes a great running partner.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think he will, at least up to a 10k distance, MAYBE 9 miles but we will  have to see.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Zelanie

Glad you had a good run!  I sometimes run with my dogs but still don't quite have the routine down yet.  They really like to go, though.

StepbyStep-SH

Hope he turns out to be a wonderful running partner! Heelers are tough, stubborn buggers ... at least all of them I knew as kid were.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Dad on the run.

Wow, your dogs are gorgeous. I really want to be a thread whore and post a pic of my two running buddies, but I will refrain Smile Maybe we should start a running buddy thread?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Those are beautiful dogs!! I hope you enjoy your runs with Rocky - sounds like he's going to get the hang of it and be a wonderful running partner.

Angela 

Luke79

Wow, your dogs are gorgeous. I really want to be a thread whore and post a pic of my two running buddies, but I will refrain Smile Maybe we should start a running buddy thread?

I think that's a great idea.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It is a great idea Smile

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Beautiful dogs.  So sorry for you losing Molly.   I bet Rocky will really love you taking him out and have a blast.  This will be therapy for him too, I bet he misses Molly also.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Beautiful dogs.  So sorry for you losing Molly.   I bet Rocky will really love you taking him out and have a blast.  This will be therapy for him too, I bet he misses Molly also.

He does, she was his "sister" since he was 8 weeks old and for 3 years she had been his only canine pack mate. I was taking them to the dog park starting 2010 up until this past winter, that was the only time he would have other canine interaction. I  know it must bother him too, her being gone.

PRs

SheCan

What beautiful pets.  I'm really glad that you're allowing Rocky to help you through this difficult time.  I'm sure he's feeling Molly's absence also.  Sounds like Rocky has the potential to be a dependable running partner.   Hugs to you. 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Buelligan

Rocky probably needs this as much as you do.

tessasnewlife

Yay for good running partners.Both my dogs are horrible runners. One sprints from tree to tree for a very short period and then is over it. The other isn't as bad- he is a slow but steady guy- the only thing that drives me nuts is he likes to cut people off. I have actually fallen over his sorry butt while on walks. I tried running with them for a bit- but ti didnt get better so I got over it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think he likes it, I am not going to throw too much on him yet but he definitely has enough athletic ability to probably start with 30 minute runs 3 days a week, but I will take it slow.

PRs