Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday, penguins! (Read 17 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Hey guys!  I have to drive a carpool of kids home Thursday evenings these days, so I got home too late for the group run.  So I ran from home to where they were meeting for dinner, had dinner and hung out, and then ran back home.  Perfect!  I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to run after eating a giant tempeh salad, but I love the salad they make at that place, and it was fine.  It was just an excuse to linger for an extra half an hour or so before heading back out.

I'll run 3 or so after work.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have a run and weights tonight.

Z, a carpool of kids does not sound like fun.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Have a good run later!

It was a carpool of high schoolers.  Less zany, more smelly.  And more PDA. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I saw a pheasant in the median on my drive to work, which is unusual for here.  I don't know that there aren't pheasants around much, but I don't often see them on the interstate.  And just to make your day a little brighter, I suspect he was a nice pheasant.  And he was there.  And he might've been poor.  Making him a present pleasant peasant pheasant!

Zelanie -- Glad the salad didn't interfere with the run!!

Docket -- Maybe it was possession.  After all isn't possession nine-tenths of the law?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

Morning all. RD for me today.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Packet pick up and FE today.  Looking forward to spending the afternoon with Mitch and his wife then we all meet up with Traci and family for dinner.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I'm sitting here wishing I was in Alabama with y'all!  Go Team TJ!

Let's see.  Tonight, I'm taking DD2 to swim practice and I plan on running some 1K intervals on the track, probably six miles when all is said and done.  Tomorrow DD1 has a big race in the morning at the famous Mt. SAC course. I might be racing there in December at the Foot Locker open invite. Tomorrow is homecoming and the dance so guess where DD1 and all her friends want to meet for pre-dance pictures? Correct, they are all meeting at our house. 16-20 kids and their parents are all coming over tomorrow for pictures and what not. It's all good because the kids are cool and so are (most of) the parents. There are a few dads who will bring some adult beverages and red Solo cups so that will be nice.

Have a good weekend.

GinnyinPA

Happy Friday!

Z - sounds like a fun evening.  How are the legs behaving after your long rest?  Enjoy the three after work.

Damaris - have a good run this evening.

HopesMom - I've only seen pheasants a couple of times, in Wyoming and S. Dakota.  I didn't know they lived in Virginia too.  We have lots of grouse here that love to fly up as we walk by, scaring us silly.

PAD - enjoy your rest day.

Robert - I'm envious of your FE this weekend.  Margo is the only Pennsylvanian here, and she doesn't live anywhere near me. Have fun at the race and with Mitch, Traci et al.

Jack - another busy weekend for you.  Have fun.  How long is the December race?

AFM:  it's a beautiful autumn day, sunny and 65 degrees.  DH and I will take the dog to the mountains to scuffle through the leaves for a few miles after lunch.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: I think it is 2.9 miles or a 5k. Either way, the course is very hilly and is a good test.  I might do a 5k on November 22 that is here in town. It's our one race we have every year but that is the day we are going to Zion for the week so I don't know if I can run it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3 miles for us.  Took it easy.  Not much planned for the weekend.

Enjoy the race and FE, Robert, Mitch and Traci.

Have a good RD, PAD

Have a good run, Docket and Zel.

Enjoy the track work, Jack.

HsM, did you get a picture of the pleasant pheasant?

Sounds like a good day for a walk, Ginny.

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins!

This morning I got up and did a strength training workout and then I hit the treadmill for 1.35 miles. That may sound measly, but it was with an 8-10% incline on the treadmill. Butt kicker!

Well, yesterday the project I was working on all week went into publication. It took about 3 days to make and go through the editing process. Phew. Click here to view. This is a weekly publication we do. I've already started on next week's publication. A day in the life I tell ya!

Edited to say:

I forgot to mention that the publication is interactive too. Where it says to click on stuff, it brings you to various webpages and videos!

Dad on the run.

Can't wait to meet team TJ tomorrow! SO EXCITED!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

No present pleasant peasant pheasant pics.  I WAS driving at the time! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon all!  Today I ran to/from yoga so 4.8ish miles of running and one hour of yoga.  It was pretty nice.  I was supposed to run 4 with DH this morning but our smoke detector decided to go off just about every hour last night from 3am until 7am - I made him run alone so that if it went off I could disable the alarm so my dog wouldn't flip out.  It seems okay now though - I should probably get maintenance to look at it.

Z - I can't imaging running after a huge tempeh salad - though I do love tempeh :-)

DR - have fun tonight with the weights and running

HsM - sometimes there are deer on the interstate where I grew up, that is terrifying

PAD - enjoy your rest

Have a fun time meeting each other guys :-)  I'm always a bit afraid to meet people from the inter-webs...!

Jack - 16-20 teenagers... sounds like a blast?  I used to have to teach 34 teenagers at once and that was a bit.. chaotic

Jerry - have a restful weekend!

Rach - that publication looks super cool

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)