Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILY Penguins Melting Away (Read 25 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning  !!!  We will try for 5 street miles sometime today after yesterday's URD.

Enjoy the warm weekend.

Bin Running

Morning Jerry. 5M easy done.

Had a gathering with some of my collage friends. Man, everyone have "matured". Haa. Lots of fun catching up. Korean BBQ dinner followed by drinks at my place.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Travel day.  Rest day or 5 miles depending on time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Jerry, thanks for starting. Enjoy your 5.

Bin, always nice getting caught up with old friends.

Docket, safe travels to ya!

7 miles for me. I went out just after the rain with my weekend running group, and I think that was just the push I needed to get over this 5 mile mental block I've been stuck on since the marathon.

Zelanie

Morning!  I did not have a good run yesterday.   I ran 9 out of the planned 13.  I won't try to make up the LR, but I wonder whether I should try to make up the miles this weekend.  I only have a RD and an easy run at this point, so it wouldn't be too hard to do.

We did go see The Wolf of Wall Street last night.  So funny, and so wrong.  I haven't laughed out loud like that in a while, it was good.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

SRD. (or URD? I don't really have a schedule right now just playing it all by ear). Boyfriend and his dog are on the way up for a visit. I'm cleaning the apartment. Was gonna go to the gym but my foot hurts a little. Not the kind of pain that I felt when I was first injured but since I was in the boot for a month the boot does not allow for plantarflexion, dorsiflexion, or and side to side movement at the foot/ankle and I think all the muscles involved in normal walking movement are stiff and weak. I used and stretched those muscles a lot in yoga last night and I feel it today. Like I said t doesn't HURT but I want to take a RD just in case. I'd rather be overly cautious then too eager and end up regretting it.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

1 mile and home.  Black Ice !!!  Don't think the YaxTrax will work on ice.  Might try the indoor track later.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Four easy miles are in the book and the PF felt ok. It is becoming obvious that I just have to take it easy, stretch, ice, etc... if I want this to go away. We're off to the swim meet and then my band is playing tonight. Wow, tomorrow I think I might be able to sleep in!

SheCan

Jerry-- thank you!  I'm sorry the weather isn't treating you so well.  Maybe try to run again after the sun has shown a while?

Bin-- the reunion of friends sounds like a nice evening.

Docket-- be careful out there.

Mitch-- hey ya!  Glad the group helped you over the slump.

Zelanie-- I guess I didn't realize it was a comedy.  I was scared to watch that one thinking it'd make me mad (remember "The Smartest Guys in the Room"  about Enron?)  Now I might have to try it.  Besides I really like Dicaprio.

Jack-- so glad the PF is manageable.  Enjoy your busy weekend.

5-1/2 slow, easy miles today.  Not sure what we'll do the rest of the day though.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Jerry - sorry the ice didn't allow an outdoor run.

Bin - sounds like you had a fun gathering with your old friends.

Damaris - where are you traveling?  Have a good trip.

Mitch - going out with a group can be a good way to break mental blocks.  You're so busy chatting, you forget.

Melanie - sorry about the bad run yesterday.  Unfortunately, some days you just can't find your mojo.

Kristin - good idea taking it easy today.  Since you haven't done yoga in a while, it's really easy to overstretch, especially since your foot hasn't had any exercise.

Jack - I'm glad you got a few miles in before the meet.  Have fun at your show tonight.

Cherie - another nice run for you.  Good.  Are you running Lost Dutchman this year?

AFM:  rain, fog and 40 degrees outside.  We got soaked walking the dog.  I think I'll do my miles on the TM this afternoon.  At least the snow and ice is melting finally.

on my way to badass

Afternoon Penguins!

Jerry- Ouch on the black ice.  Hope you can get to the indoor track.

Bin- Sounds like a fun party.

DR- safe travels

Mitch-a little competition/encouragement can go a long way when your trying to make a breakthrough.

Z- sorry the run didn't go as planned.  I might add some miles to an easy run if I was feeling good.  I hope you get to do it.

Kristin- I think a rest is a good idea.

Jack K.- Good news about the PF!

Cherie- Congrats on the miles!

AFM- I got 20 miles in this week in spite of the polar vortex and all stuff that goes with it.  It's warm here today.  I'm getting weather whiplash.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

SheCan

Cherie - another nice run for you.  Good.  Are you running Lost Dutchman this year?

AFM:  rain, fog and 40 degrees outside.  We got soaked walking the dog.  I think I'll do my miles on the TM this afternoon.  At least the snow and ice is melting finally.

Yikes@ getting soaked walking the dog-- especially with the temp only at 40*.  I woulda needed a long hot shower after that.

Also, I keep asking myself that about the Lost Dutchman too. I LOVE that race, and lots of runners from around here are planning on doing it.  Every time I hear them talk about it, or ask me about it, makes me wanna do it too, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough. I keep thinking of Damaris and how she makes herself just do it.  So I guess the answer is, I dunno, yet, but I need to decide soon!  The race is Feb. 16.

SF-- good for you on the miles with that frigid weather.  LOL@ weather whiplash!  Hope the warm temps stay around a bit.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Zero miles for me today :-(   The planned 16 got trashed because I think I am getting a chest cold. Maybe it was a good thing that it was raining this morning otherwise I may have gone for it.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!

6.5 easy miles today on the treadmill.  All of that snow has been melting, and now it's going to freeze again.  Tomorrow might be a good day to get outside, but I'll have to see.  I'd like to get in a quick 10 tomorrow.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013