Beginners and Beyond

SF Diva 5K Race Report (Still Pregnant) (Read 66 times)

Queen Of The Race Report

Yeah, this is like a million years late. Sorry, not sorry.

I sort of am, too.

SO, for our anniversary, we went out to SF. The plan was to run the Diva half marathon out there on our actual anniversary. However, this one had other plans:

So I downgraded to the 5K. I was put into "either the first or the third wave" at the expo. I explained that it wasn't right to put me in the first wave. That I really belonged in the 2nd, but there was no room. So, I went for the third. Spoiler Alert: This was a bad idea because no one lines up appropriately and I passed a TON of 2nd wavers. I probably should have just been in the first wave to be done with it.

We did a ton of walking around the first two days, and it was a little rough on my back/hips. So I didn't have high hopes for this race to begin with.

Our hotel was RIIIIGHT by the start/finish. It was glorious. Frank deposited me and waited. They were late to start, which seems to be a theme of all the races I've run this year. SERIOUSLY. PUNCTUALITY, PEOPLE.

I'm not organizing a major race. I'm just 3 minutes late for work every day. Calm 'yer tits, cat.

So, when my wave was called, I finally, finally got the recognition I craved when the announcer saw my shirt and said AND SHE IS RUNNING FOR TWO! I panicked and made a peace sign with my hands. I never know what to do with my hands. I should have said something like "YEAH, AND IT'S A GIRL" because you know, DIVA race and everything, but I did not. It's just another thing to put on my long list of failures.

So, the gun went off, and off I went, weaving around people the entire way. I was pretty consistent with my pacing, but I did notice that my pace was tanked. This was the first race, at around 20 weeks, that I noticed that I was significantly slower. Sure, I was about 3-5 minutes slower (or more, since I have no way of knowing how fast I CAN run a 5K in the shape I am normally in, because I hadn't run a 5K prior to pregnancy for about 2 years--I would estimate that I'd be around 25 minutes, but there's no way to know) for the other three 5Ks, but I was (spoiler alert) 6-11 minutes slower this time around. Still, I felt good, and I kept going.

The race was beautiful, along the water. I felt really happy, and I teared up along the way a few times, thinking of all of these women running this race...and how I wanted to run this race with my daughter someday. It was all very pansy and dramatic.

Pretty much.

I made it to the end, where there was a tiara and feather boa station. I situated my crown on my head, and I straightened my boa. This would be a GREAT RACE PICTURE.

I'm not in any race pictures. Well, my elbow is.

Yeah. It probably is.

But, I ran the entire race without walking, and the way I was hurting the days before, I was concerned I'd be able to finish. Since this race (I'm now almost 28 weeks), until just this last week or so, I've been able to continue 3 miles several times a week. This week I have only done 2 milers, but that's maybe partially due to timing. If I HAD to, I think I could suffer through a third mile. I refuse to give up. I just want to make it as far as I can running, then I will switch to walking. Only when the doctor says I must be on bed rest or I cannot physically stand it, will I stop all exercise. I realize that 30-45 minutes a day 5/6 days a week is standard for most people, pregnant or not, it's very low for me, and I have beat myself up about this. But I just have to keep pushing forward, because something is better than nothing, and before we all know it, I will hopefully be increasing times/speeds again, rather than slowing them down.

Here are my Garmin Stats:

So, anyway. At the end of the race, I was greeted by shirtless firemen, who handed me my medal.

I also bonded with some ladies next to me, because they had champagne in flutes. I really wanted a flute (WHY), and normally would not cringe at drinking a small amount of champagne while pregnant, but I don't feel comfortable doing so in public (closet preggo drinker--even though I've had exactly two glasses of wine while pregnant), but then someone next to me said they had ginger ale! HOORAY! So I had to make a comment about being knocked up, and the women had this conversation about how, you know, JOIN A MOMMY GROUP, and I had to say I was from WV, and I am the oldest mother known to man in WV at 33, and they were all GIRL I HAD MY FIRST BABY AT 39, FUCK THOSE WV ASSHOLES. I'm paraphrasing. I'm also thinking I have to move to California now. Those are my people.

Frank gathered me up at the finish line, and we headed back to the hotel with my bounty, which included a rose that survived the plane trip home! Hoorah!

So, turns out, I was a little over a 12-minute pace. Not great for me, but I was happy to have been able to run.

Blog: http://runstaceyrun.tumblr.com/
    Contact Info: LiveJournal/DailyMile/Twitter: staceyloobug
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/staceypurpura

PRs: Marathon: 4:54:31 | 1/2 Marathon: 1:58:24 | 10K: 1:01:45 | 5-Mile: 46:04 | 5K: 27:01 | Longest Run: 26.2 Miles
    43 Races: (21) 5Ks | (2) 5-Milers | (3) 10Ks | (16) Half Marathons | (1) Full Marathon

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

How did you cope with those hills?

Queen Of The Race Report

Haha, look at the elevation map!

I sure toughed it out.

Blog: http://runstaceyrun.tumblr.com/
        Contact Info: LiveJournal/DailyMile/Twitter: staceyloobug
        Facebook: www.facebook.com/staceypurpura

PRs: Marathon: 4:54:31 | 1/2 Marathon: 1:58:24 | 10K: 1:01:45 | 5-Mile: 46:04 | 5K: 27:01 | Longest Run: 26.2 Miles
        43 Races: (21) 5Ks | (2) 5-Milers | (3) 10Ks | (16) Half Marathons | (1) Full Marathon

From the Internet.

I <3 your race reports. Run more races dammit! Congrats on the plan ruiner! Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats, Stacy, you did great!  Your preggers time is my normal 5K time, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Nice job, Stacey.  The cats seemed extra feisty this time.

B-Plus

I <3 your race reports. Run more races dammit! Congrats on the plan ruiner! Smile

+1. All the pics always keeps me interested and they always are in the right place and flow with your reports. Congrats!

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page