Beginners and Beyond

Born to Run (Read 64 times)

PADRunner

Just finished reading Born to Run. I can't really comment on the facts or science but it was an enjoyable read.

It would be a great to have that kind of feeling about running. Crazy runners

Cyberic

Really enjoyed the book as well.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

That book (and 6 weeks of mind-numbing boredom),  got me off the elliptical and out on the road.

Runner with a riding problem.

Mmmmm...beer

I've read it twice and really enjoyed it.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

Writing about the Tarahumara without discussing their grinding poverty is about like writing about blacks in the American South in the 1920's without talking about Jim Crow laws.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

obiebyke

I enjoyed it, too. But LTH, good point.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

I don't think it was really meant to be a fact-driven documentary about the Tarahumara.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

RSX

I tried but couldn't make it past page 50. But then again I thought Chariots of Fire was dull.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I enjoyed the book as well. It got me in to reading about running, and I've read a number of good books since then. Some of them:

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

Duel In The Sun

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness

I've read a number more as well, but these stick out as somewhat recent reads.

- Andrew

Never read a book about running other than Pfitz & Hanson marathon training books. (And in those cases, "read" is a strong word.)

I am pretty interested in Unbroken, although that is not a running book per se.

Dave

obiebyke

Brr, I adored What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Good one.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Brr, I adored What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. Good one.

Yeah, it's definitely a different take on running. It's a neat one. Smile

- Andrew

Love the Half

I don't think it was really meant to be a fact-driven documentary about the Tarahumara.

But people treat it that way.  You should run in minimalist shoes because the Tarahumara run in old tire sandals.  The Tarahumara are the greatest endurance athletes on the planet (who somehow, despite their poverty, have never managed to produce a single world class endurance athlete or even national class as far as I know).  I think he made a lot of shit up kind of like when you see a study with spectacular results and no one can manage to replicate the results.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Cyberic

Never read a book about running other than Pfitz & Hanson marathon training books. (And in those cases, "read" is a strong word.)

I am pretty interested in Unbroken, although that is not a running book per se.

Unbroken is more a book about War than about running.

MTA: But I liked it as well.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

But people treat it that way.  You should run in minimalist shoes because the Tarahumara run in old tire sandals.  The Tarahumara are the greatest endurance athletes on the planet (who somehow, despite their poverty, have never managed to produce a single world class endurance athlete or even national class as far as I know).  I think he made a lot of shit up kind of like when you see a study with spectacular results and no one can manage to replicate the results.

well obviously they weren't born to run.  duh.

You people have issues