Beginners and Beyond

This is how you respond to the senselessness (Read 190 times)

Love the Half

Two local running groups joined efforts and advertised a 5K fun run today.  No timing.  No exact course markings.  Just sort of 3.1 miles.  No entry fee.  No bibs.  All that was asked was that you bring a monetary donation for the Boston bombing victims.  250 runners and walkers showed up and we raised $3,200.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

hog4life

Nice!

Docket_Rocket

Great idea.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fantastic.

Nice!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

MrNamtor

Nice. Really nice.

Now seriously, what was your time and how did you place?

Good job.I love reading stuff like this.

We've got a a local group that has an event this coming weekend. They will have a track open for 4:09 (the time on the finish line clock when the attacks occurred) and you can show up and run for as short or long as you like. Donations will be collected for the victims.

Nevrgivup

We had a similar run today and raised almost $7000 on the spot. Its really awesome to see the community and the nation come together to help the victims. We also didn't have a race. We could run around the perimeter of the park as many times as we wanted. A friend of mine and I did 8 miles for Martin Richard.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

RSX

Nice. I'm going to suggest something similar. We had a local college volunteer to help, and I'm the only one on the board who wants to take them up on it.

Did you have a police detail expense? That expense alone stops a lot of races from either starting or having a second year in MA.

Love the Half

Nice. I'm going to suggest something similar. We had a local college volunteer to help, and I'm the only one on the board who wants to take them up on it.

Did you have a police detail expense? That expense alone stops a lot of races from either starting or having a second year in MA.

There were no expenses that I'm aware of.  People just showed up at a local park and ran.  That's the good thing about using a park.  They did have one table set up to give people receipts if they wanted one and someone brought a few cases of water.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Little Blue

There was an organized 3-mile run in Raleigh on Sunday.  They were expecting 300 people and got 3,000.  Very cool.

paulski66

miscreant

Nice. Really nice.

Now seriously, what was your time and how did you place?

+1

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

happylily

Very very nice. For each bad action, we need to do twice as much good. And I think we've accomplished that since those sad events... Thanks, Brad!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

Outstanding!

I'm doing a run tonight at our LRS.  They're selling the "Runners for Boston" shirts, $20 each and all proceeds go directly to OneFundBoston.  They ordered 400 shirts and have already sold out, they're going to place an order for 600 more.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

RSX

There were no expenses that I'm aware of.  People just showed up at a local park and ran.  That's the good thing about using a park.  They did have one table set up to give people receipts if they wanted one and someone brought a few cases of water.

My club is burnt out after a lot of fundraising, and other efforts leading up to Boston, but to turn down college volunteers after what happened I think is terrible especially when I'm the only one interested. You did give me an idea of picking a set of trails near the school which I will look into.