Beginners and Beyond

It's Wednesday, do you know where your Penguins are? (Read 325 times)

Docket_Rocket

Oh, and welcome I AM RUNNER!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

11.3 miles for me this morning, which brought me to 1,001 miles so far!!! Smile  Very happy to hit that milestone. 

Hope everyone is having a good day so far!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

A Man On The Run!

Good Morning to all penguins and I am glad I found the new home. I had just started posting on RWOL and everyone left!  Hoping to get 4 miles in this morning IF I can figure out my breathing problems.  Have a great day all.

Zeke

http://zekerunning.wordpress.com/

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.- Albert Einstein

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Karaoke wise - I sing a wide variety. Southern Rock, Country, Rock from the '70's to now, some Disco, and I'll even do my male version of female singers. So a night might go like this: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Montgomery Gentry, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Black Sabbath, Green Day, Village People, and Blondie.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Zelanie

Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Brenda!

Today I will be running 5, likely on the TM later on.  I think one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much is that I really hate to feel cold, before or after work.  I am guessing it's mostly that I haven't really adjusted to the weight loss, but I am cold all the time and really wimpy about it.

Liz- I think if you're worried about the ab maybe just think about how it supported you over 13.1 miles.  I think it's doing great!  I would hesitate to add a fast mile to *every* run for the time being, even if it is fun to run faster.  But maybe your "real" easy pace is closer to that now than to 11?

Brenda- Just be careful adding so many miles so quickly!  It's great that you're already to 5 days/week, though!

Zeke- Good luck getting the 4 in!

Dave- Congrats on hitting 1,000 miles!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Brenda - glad to see you broke free from the bonds of "lurkerdom"!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Brenda, I'm glad you decided to come here, I love the people here. Zeke, hi there. Liz, I know the feeling about being careful. After my hernia surgery, seemed like every time I tried to speed up, my groin hurt. I think a key is to stop immediately if you feel something out of the ordinary. Steph, MCM sounds like a good one, I think I would like to make that a bucket list race for me. I think they a 10 mile too. Was going to take a RD, but think I'm heading out do a few. Temp is 35 and I need to do some experimenting on clothes for my Febrruary half, last year it was 18 degrees at the start. I seriously hope it's not that cold, but I want to be ready. I bought a pair of BCG tights from Academy the other day and I'm eager to try them out. I also have some UA Cold Gear tights but they are no quite as thick.
                hog4life

Arrg, why does all that cram together from phone?!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!!  I swear, if you're going to post 3 pages before I even get here, you're going to have to do without personals.  I have tai chi today, and choir practice tonight.  DH made some awesome lentil soup for supper last night, and I think that's all my news.

Oh, somebody yesterday (bin?) asked about me restarting C25k.  See, I haven't run much since July due to a knee problem.  So I figured I'd start back at the bottom of the barrel, and I'd do it in December, which gave me a month on prescription anti-inflammatories and swimming.  Well, it makes sense in my head, anyway.  So Monday is a RESET day.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Doh.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Bin - If my memory of your recent race results serves me correctly, I don't think 120 minutes will be a problem for you.  Have you run anything through McMillan?  It might be good to know your pace before you leave the starting line.

Docket - Lucky for you, you're a "Bad Ass"! 

Jen - I think for future morning runs, I might head to the gym and use the dreadmill.  Dreadmill beats early morning cold.  After work cold doesn't seem to bother me.  I think its the, OMG I JUST CLIMBED OUT OF A WARM COMFY BED AND IT'S FREEZING, effect.

Steph - Enjoy your rest day.  Yoga?  Nike+ had an update recently, and I really like a lot of what they changed.  The first day it crashed it suddenly started letting me know that I had gone 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13........miles at a pace of 1 mile per 10 seconds.  I looked at the GPS map and I had "according to Nike+" crossed a state line, and was headed toward Detroit at a pace much faster than my car could travel.  In all fairness, my phone's battery just died last night.  I'm hoping tonight that Nike+ behaves because I love the new format.  If I continue to have problems, then Nike+ may have gone the way of RWOL for the time being.

Ok, this was hilarious!  I remember one time my Garmin said I was running 6-minute miles for a second or two.  Too bad I was actually standing still ...

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

IT band update:  I have been stretching and rolling as if I have OCD and it might be paying off.  Last night I went out for 4 miles and it felt good so I ended up doing 6 at a 8:34 avg pace. Ironically, I only feel the ITB now when I am walking around home or work. It feels pretty good during runs.  I am running a tough 5k on Saturday so today I plan on doing 4 miles with some strides, an easy 3 tomorrow, and rest Friday.

Steph: I will wear some fun socks for my 5k on Saturday.

D2: Great work on the 1000 miles. I knew you were putting in big numbers, but I had no idea they were like that.

Doc: That sounds like a three mile tempo run to me! Smile

Snickers1230

Morning, y'all!!  I swear, if you're going to post 3 pages before I even get here, you're going to have to do without personals.  I have tai chi today, and choir practice tonight.  DH made some awesome lentil soup for supper last night, and I think that's all my news.

Oh, somebody yesterday (bin?) asked about me restarting C25k.  See, I haven't run much since July due to a knee problem.  So I figured I'd start back at the bottom of the barrel, and I'd do it in December, which gave me a month on prescription anti-inflammatories and swimming.  Well, it makes sense in my head, anyway.  So Monday is a RESET day.

I agree!  Lol.  Either that or I'm going to have to start getting to work at least 30 minutes early so I have time to read and do personals before I have to start working!

Morning Penguins!

Planning on getting some intervals done on the treadmill at lunch today. 

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

From the Internet.

Morning penguins! I've been sleeping in like it's my job lately - I wish I could hibernate for the winter, cold and dark mornings make it really hard to get up. No running today but weights tonight. 

It's been interesting seeing all my beginner aches and pains evolving the last few months.. first the IT band, fixed that, then the shin splints, seem to have fixed those too (still keeping up with a whole host of treatment/prevention techniques though - I want to be 100% sure that they're gone and not coming back before I can make any more mileage increases!), and today my legs are just generally sore - not bad pain (THANK GOODNESS. FINALLY.) just "hey, you ran your second mile in 8:40 yesterday, dummy" sore. Apparently jumping off the treadmill and immediately heading outside to run outside kills my ability to pace myself. To my credit I've been doing pretty well sticking to >10:00 miles except for that one stupid mile yesterday.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Jen - I require a visual aid as well so I stare at a television.  Even that isn't enough to alleviate the boredom sometimes!

Tomas - good job getting through 4 before the day started!

awood - yeah, I'm actually a morning person but I have to make sure I get to bed at a decent hour and sometimes my job precludes that.  I'm not whining - I'm actually excited to be running in the am and I think I'll probably do some easy doubles some days which will be fun.  Getting up before 5am just seems so unreasonable. :P

Brenda - Welcome!!  Sounds like you are running solid miles - 5 back to back is great!

Phillie - good luck with the 4 on the treadmill!  Yesterday morning I almost died driving to work, fishtailed the whole way because I was refusing to stop and turn my hubcaps.  Finally I did because I was truly about to kill myself.  Roads are fine today but sidewalks are iffy.  I had such a stressful/long workday yesterday, i went to Tabora for lunch.  SO good.