Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill runners...does your belt/deck get hot??? (Read 30 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I could be totally oblivious and it could've been this way as long as I've owned this thing but I noticed the other night when I got off the TM, I was looking for a sound which was the plastic shield underneath just flapping a bit and when I leaned onto the belt at the back roller that puppy was H-O-T!!!!!!!!!!   I felt under the belt directly onto the deck and that puppy was GRIDDLE HOT!!  (Yes, I could've probably fried an egg on it)

So I had put a new deck on mine (lifetime warranty on decks from Sole.....mine's an F80) and lubed it up well when I put it on a few months ago.  It's got some "phenolic" (?) coating which is slick & adding silicon just makes it like greased lightning so never thought about temps.  After a few minutes I felt again & it's definitely still slick with silicon so that part's ok.  I'm gonna loosen my belt a quarter-turn and put some more silicon for good measure & check after tonight's run.

If you haven't noticed, care to check how hot your TM deck gets for me after a run??

Thanks in advance!!

Randy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Yep the belt gets warm for sure.

Its not just friction, but the flexion of the filled rubber as it goes round the rollers (think the way the sidewall of a tire gets hot as your drive).

Notice I said warm, if its truly griddle hot then that is operating outside of expectations.

I usually do a few "pullups" on the console support bar (more of a reverse push-up as I"m horizontal) after each run, and so I lie on the belt to get into position so I'm fairly familiar with the temperature.

Obviously the longer the run the more the temperature build (until it reaches an equilibrium)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Docket_Rocket

Yes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page