Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday and bring on the weekend Penguins (Read 212 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Good morning/afternoon everyone!  I've got a busy weekend planned... how about everyone else.  Myself and Mike (he checks in here periodically) have 12 planned for tomorrow.  Not only that but it is supposed to make it up to 50 degrees which is awesome for this time of year.  Yesterday was a bit if an URD... I ended up having to stay over 2 hours at work.  I could have sucked it up and hit the treadmill but after starting dinner I made the decision I was exhausted and just sat on the couch.  I hit the sack about 8 so I was honestly tired, not just an excuse. LOL   Also, a bit of a brag here... I jumped on the scale this morning and I am officially down 49# since April, 2# from being below 200 (first time for probably 5-6 years) and only 22# away from my half marathon fitness weight goal which is in May.  The one surprise is how much the program I am using dropped my caloric intake after the weigh-in...  like down to 1210 calories (before any exercise - it bumps up with calories burned).  That is going to be an adjustment... I LIKE FOOD.

Have an awesome day everyone.  Off to work...

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

N-Bug - sometimes it's not planned but the body needs a rest day. I felt a little low on fuel yesterday myself. Good job on the weight loss!

Mitch - your in my prayers, hope all goes well.

Yesterday I did upper body at the gym and karaoke at night.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins!

SRD for me today.  I'm supposed to run 4 miles on Saturday and 10 on Sunday, but I'm thinking about swapping that, due to the weather.  Rain predicted for both days, but temp tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70's and Sunday the 40's, and the rain chance is nearly 100% on Sunday, with thunderstorms, whereas tomorrow the showers are more spotty.

Anxious for the weekend - TGIF!  I need a few days off of work to regain my sanity!

Have a great day!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Philliefan33

Good morning1

Vance -- great job on the weight loss!  I understand that your caloric needs decrease as your weight decreases, but only 1210 calories??  Yikes!  You might have to cheat a little....

Gustav -- another day, another workout for Gustav.

Jen -- it sounds like a good idea to switch up your run days.

SRD for me.  Headed up to the mountains for the weekend.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Happy Friday!!

Nbug congrats that's great'

Gustav what did you sing?

Jen enjoy the rest. Hope you get out there this weekend.

AFM- yoga class after work. And, of course foam rolling. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I need an annual physical for work and im due for it, and want him to look at my knee. I haven't had any pain since Sunday, but seeing what the doctor says couldn'hurt. I'm holding off on running til I see what he says. If things are good, I'm going to try a little run at some point this weekend.

Enjoy your day'

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Phillip always sneaks in on me. We clearly post at the same time a lot haha.

Enjoy your rest

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Friday Penguins !!!  Probably do a short run this morning w/DW.

Vance, are you at 150#?   What's the goal?

His Slowness

Good morning Penguins.

N-Bug - thanks for getting us started.  Congrats on the weight loss.  I'm envious.  I still have about 75 to go and I really took a hit over the holidays.
                    Gustav - there's probably a law somewhere against me doing karaoke but I listen well.
                    Jen - I know what you mean about time off from work.  Since the holidays I've been working six days a week and about 10 - 11 hours a day.  I hope it slows down soon.  Good luck dodging the showers this weekend.
                    Philliefan - enjoy the mountains.
                    Kristin - good luck with the doc. 
                    Jerry - enjoy the run with the DW.

I did another short and easy run this morning in the rain.  At least it was light rain, which I don't mind, and the temp was 65.  It's supposed to get cold again next week.  Happy Friday everyone, I'm off to the first meeting of the day.

Bill

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

4 miles done on the San Antonio Riverwalk yesterday after work.  Weather was great:  68 degrees, sunny, blue clouds, a low dew-point and low humidity.  I enjoyed myself but there were annoying points along the way too, as the Parks Foundation has begun some more renovation down there and I would get to certain parts of the Riverwalk that were blocked off and have to turn around and go all the way back the way I came to get to a bridge that crossed over to the other side.  I had the route I wanted to do all "mapped" in my head when I started out and the Riverwalk was not cooperating, lol.  Oh well.  Still an enjoyable run, and got a nice bonus too.  I finished right near my favorite restaurant on the Riverwalk - Mad Dog's, an English/Scottish themed pub/restaurant, where the wait staff wears kilts - and one of the lovely kilted ladies working there said "Looks like you could use a beer  now" and gave me a free one to enjoy post-run.  Sweeet!  I run quite a bit on the Riverweek, at least once a week, so I'm starting to be recognized down there now.

Today is a rest day and tomorrow I have my 5th race of the year.  Which just happens to also be on the Riverwalk.

Vance started us out?  Gustav must be sleeping in today! Joking  Good luck with your 12 tomorrow; and congrats on your weight loss progress!   I'm right behind you.  Down from 230 last year to 202 right now.  Just cannot seem to get under that 200-lb mark.  Part of the problem, I think, is that I love to eat just as much as I love to run.  Trying to do better though.  Maybe this will be the year I get under 200.  Maybe.  But I am not very disciplined with me eating habits - lots of bad ones, sadly - so then again, maybe not.  Overall though, I feel pretty good.

So, Gustav, what songs did you sing for karaoke?  And where's the video re-play? Wink

Good luck with your planned runs this weekend, Jen, hope the weather cooperates for you!  As for sanity...I've given up hope of ever regaining mine, lol.  But sometimes it's more fun to be a little nutso.

So what will you do in the mountains, Margo?  Safe trip, have fun!

yoga class after work. And, of course foam rolling.  OK, Kristen, this gave me a weird mental picture when I first read it, lol.  You doing such a hard yoga workout that there was 'foam rolling' from your mouth.  Joking   Good luck with your upcoming annual physical, hope the doc can put you on track to getting that knee 100% again!

Happy running with the DW, Jerry!

Way to get your run in, Bill!  Yeah, a bit more rain expected tomorrow.  What?  We just had 5 inches in 2 days, I think that's enough for a while!  Hope it at least holds off until my race tomorrow is over.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Morning pens - already at work and it's not even 8:30 yet! Getting my brain scanned at 9, I need gas money and there are a bunch of groups in my building that pay for participation in MRI studies. Basically I'm a brain whore :P

Might lift later tonight when I get home, but not sure yet. May just be a rest day if I'm too tired. Both lower legs are a little sore today but I'm encouraged that it's both of them and not just the left. Hips too. I'm working those weak muscles!

Zelanie

Good morning!  Got my 5.5 in last night on the TM, and today is a RD.  Up early today to go to an early meeting, boo.

Vance- Congratulations on your weight loss!  50# is just around the corner!

Gustav- Hope the karaoke was fun!

Jen2011- Sounds like a good idea to switch those two runs around!

Margo- Enjoy the mountains!

Kristin- Hope you get some good advice at the doc's!

Jerry- Enjoy the run with DW!

Bill- Nice job getting out there in the rain!

Scotty- Being a local celebrity has its perks!

Lauren- Good luck with the brain scan- eek!

hog4life

Good morning colony. I am up way to early and need some coffee. I will try to head out here shortly for an easy 4-5. It's raining here too, so should make for a nice run since the temps are up. I got my biopsy scheduled for next Wednesday after being able to see the pulmonoligist yesterday.

Zelanie, my watch was set on pace, so I switched it to average pace. We'll see if that makes a difference. When I posted that yesterday on the different paces I was seeing, the problem is that I think I was truly running those paces.

Phille, enjoy the RD.

Damaris, good luck this weekend. Goofy is this weekend, right?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Damaris what is the Goofy Challenge? I'm guessing it's like a hat trick but woth the Disney Marathon instead of a half?

Zelanie

Mitch- I hope it was the watch and not your pace that was all over the place!  If you're really concerned that you're changing pace so much, you might be able to set the autolap for a smaller interval so that your average lap time is closer to your current pace?  Hope the miles go well!