Beginners and Beyond

JUST A WEEKEND PENGUIN (Read 28 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

OFF TO A 5K SHORTLY..

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Glad to see the penguin making it's first official appearance in the introductory paragraph.  Maybe an SRD or a run.  I might not have time to run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Quote from hog4life on 6/27/2014 at 11:09 PM:

Scotty, congrats to you and Gail. This is also my wife's birthday.

Jack, my wife and kid set me up too.

Margo, your story is quite impressive too.

Wow, bunch of ole timers up in here.

I took a rest day today. Taking my wife out of town for her birthday, nothing too fancy, just an over night stay with some sight seeing and quite time. Hoping for a long peaceful bike ride.

Gee, thanks a lot, Mitch...  

Nice Penguin there for the start of the thread, PAD!   Your 5K is probably over by now, so hope it went well!

Congrats on kicking butt in the Five Guys Burger case Damaris.  Did you get paid in free burgers?

AFM:  My 5K does not start until  11 a.m.  It will be 83 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 88, humidity of 87% and a dew-point of 73.  Sweat, sweat, sweat!   This 5K is being done as a fun-run as part of my running club's annual luncheon and meeting.  Run scheduled for an hour, from 11 to noon (so slow-pokes like me will have plenty of time to finish, lol), then lunch from noon to 1 PM and then our actual meeting after that where we vote in officers for the year and hand out our scholarship money to deserving local students who are also runners.    Lunch is at an eatery called Two Bros. Barbecue

Two Bros Does it Slow and Low

Lots of shade and a nice outdoor patio to enjoy after the run...not to mention really good barbecue.   The park we will do the 5K run in is conveniently right across the street from the eatery.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

PAD: Good luck in the 5k. I am hoping you will post one of your "detailed" RRs! Wink

D: Too busy watching World Cup to run? I am betting you will find some time.

Scotty: Have fun. Man, I bet that place is good. That looks exactly like a place I would frequent if I was there. Sitting outside, oak trees, good food, cold beer, good friends... Oh yes.

9.25 miles for me and I am not liking this heat.

Have a good day, Pens.

Docket_Rocket

We'll see, Jack.  Too hot to do it outside and I expect to be back home by 3pm I leave at 5:30pm for the show so not sure if I have time at all.  Maybe for 3-4 miles.  Nice 9.  I am not liking this heat either. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning...

PAD, Glad you got the Scotty the Penguin in the intro.  Hope you had a good race.

Scotty, good luck.  How's the ear?

Hi D !!!  Enjoy the show.

Jack, where are you?  That was a beautiful pic on FB.

3 slow miles for us.  Testing the knee and seems better.  Lots of icing.  Think we will hang out on the deck today.

Have a great weekend.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jerry: we are home now. That picture was from a trip to Glacier National Park that we did last year.

Brilliant

Good morning!  4.2 easy miles with hubby this morning.  We ran on a nearby trail that I don't usually run by myself because it's too isolated (urban but isolated if that makes sense...).  It was a good run; I'm going to make some chilaquiles now.

Ugh, update on my daughter's trip to the UK:  the day she arrived, the baggage system at Heathrow crashed.  She's on her 3rd day without luggage.  She is having a blast anyway and posting fun stuff on FB.  Her school program start Sunday night.

Jack, welcome home.  No, I haven't see Spinal Tap - should I?

Zelanie, yes please share food pics here, too!

Scotty, your 5k in the heat sounds pretty awful but I hope the barbecue makes up for it.

PADRunner, I *love* how you added the penguin to the first post!  Hope your 5k was good.

Jerry, glad your run went OK, enjoy the deck! Wink

Bin Running

Tried hill workout first time today.. Hope I am doing it right..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Brilliant; there is a funny reference to Stonehenge in it. It's a funny movie but it's not for everyone.

Bin: great pictures on FB.

PADRunner

PAD: Good luck in the 5k. I am hoping you will post one of your "detailed" RRs! Wink

NOT TODAY, WONDERING IF IT WILL EVER HAPPEN.

TIME DOES NOT MATCH EFFORT.

31:25 GOOD ENOUGH FOR 2ND AG TODAY, WITH MORE THAN 2 IN AG!

Zelanie

Hey guys, ran my 8 total including mileage to and from the gym, plus I found a machine that does miles!  And it gets a breeze from the door!

Here is some of my amazing food from yesterday.

I had a traditional Costa Rican breakfast for lunch.  It's gallo pinto (a version of rice and beans), an egg, tortillas, cheese, and fried plantains.  Yum!  I couldn't eat it all, though.

At the same restaurant, they had this special if you really wanted to support "La Sele" in the world cup.  A win tomorrow would put them further in the tournament then they have ever been, so interest is HUGE right now.  Everybody is out selling Sele jerseys, T Shirts, flags, horns, etc.  Except when it started to rain downtown yesterday, all of the street vendors put away their futbol merchendise and got out their umbrellas and started selling those instead.  Anyway, here was the special at the restaurant, arranged like the Costa Rican flag.  And no, I did NOT eat that!

Then I met the other chaperone for the afternoon, and we had some tasty, tasty bread.

By the time I got home, it was time for dinner.  I went to bed full!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: I can't imagine the excitement with the soccer. I hope you get caught up in it because it is quite fun. I was in Germany during the last World Cup and it was incredible. That breakfast looks like a great carb load for a marathon. Smile

on my way to badass

First day of soccer camp for DS. I was gonna do a track workout but the U track is locked up. Did 3 easy on trails around campus. Gonna be a hot week.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28