Beginners and Beyond

Tell us an interesting (NRR) fact about yourself! (Read 188 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Kids called me Wide-Load when I was in elementary school because I had some junk in the trunk.

I was on the first US team ever to win the Arsenal Cup, a youth soccer tournament in England, back in 8th grade when I was on a team selected from the whole East coast.  We sprinted around the field with US flags - was very cool.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Buelligan

I grew up in a house with a piano and refused to take lessons when my parents offered them to me.  Years later when I was 16, I did become interested in guitar and my parents bought me a cheap laminated Yamaha acoustic.  I taught myself to tune and play it with a Mel Bay instructional booklet and it hasn't left my side since.  I've been playing for decades now and even though I have much better and more expensive acoustic and electric guitars, that old Yamaha is my most cherished possession.   I'm no virtuoso, but I love playing guitar.

Mostly harmless

Kids called me Wide-Load when I was in elementary school because I had some junk in the trunk.

I was on the first US team ever to win the Arsenal Cup, a youth soccer tournament in England, back in 8th grade when I was on a team selected from the whole East coast.  We sprinted around the field with US flags - was very cool.

Was this affiliated with Arsenal FC in London?  If so, did you get to meet any of the Arsenal players?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Docket_Rocket

Funny, I was called Channel II because of my legs.  Take a while guess why (the II).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

boring dude here.

I dont have any cool skills or traits that I know of. In high school and college I could drink a bunch of booze. I killed a box of Franzia Blush boxed wine one night. I also got a ticket that night for drinking underaged.

I owned a business when I was in 7th grade with my little brother. Sports cards and comic books. made decent money and My sports cards are worth more than my truck and wife's SUV combined.

I know these are a stretch.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

I thought I had read "worth more than my truck and wife...."  I need some coffee!

boring dude here.

I dont have any cool skills or traits that I know of. In high school and college I could drink a bunch of booze. I killed a box of Franzia Blush boxed wine one night. I also got a ticket that night for drinking underaged.

I owned a business when I was in 7th grade with my little brother. Sports cards and comic books. made decent money and My sports cards are worth more than my truck and wife's SUV combined.

I know these are a stretch.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Was this affiliated with Arsenal FC in London?  If so, did you get to meet any of the Arsenal players?

Yes, and no Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I thought I had read "worth more than my truck and wife...."  I need some coffee!

Yep, probably best not to put a dollar value on the wife lol.

Antipodean

I speak three other langauges, to varying degrees: French, Japanese and Chinese.

My husband is from China and we lived there for over 6 years.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

happylily

I speak three other langauges, to varying degrees: French, Japanese and Chinese.

My husband is from China and we lived there for over 6 years.

That is so cool! You must have a special skill. I can't imagine learning Chinese and Japanese at my age. I learned English when I was 18-20. My brain was still fresh. Today, I have trouble learning Spanish even though it is so similar to French... Makes me mad. Stupid aging process. Angry

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nothing overly exciting here.. I was born on Thanksgiving night after my mother had her turkey, she claims she had two turkeys that day, I was the butterball..

Actually on second thought you should be adding your golf handicap, that is even more impressive.

And in some ways it was harder to achieve. If people think running is time consuming, playing (and staying) at a single digit cap can be crazy. One of the reasons I drifted away from the game. Haven't swung a club in a long time now.

The wife is worth way more than me.  Based on me hearing I am worthless.

**no don't really hear that ***

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Walk-Jogger

My nickname in high school was "Jimi Hendricks".

My reality was the complete antithesis of that, however, as a clarinet-playing band geek. 

Retired &  Loving It

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I was born on Halloween night. Twenty two years later my youngest nephew was born. We have two spooks in my family.