Beginners and Beyond

What's UP Wednesday Penguins?! (Read 26 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hey guys! *waves* I haven't checked in on the Penguin dailies in a long time! Mostly because I took kind of a break from running all summer..... I don't know what was wrong with me but after 2 really hot and humid, miserable races in June I lost all my motivation and was barely running 10 miles per week. I was kind of embarrassed about it but didn't want to talk about it so I didn't come around here much. I have been able to string together some decent training since September though with October being my highest mileage month of the year by 2 miles. Missed you guys so I thought I'd check in. How's it going?!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates class and 5 miles.

Hi, Kristin!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning, cold rain this morning so not sure what the day will bring.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!

Today's plan is running to/from yoga and doing an hour long vinyasa class.  So 4.8 miles of running and an hour of yoga.

Kristin - glad to hear that you're back on the wagon.  I also took most of the summer off (nasty ankle sprain that is still troubling me a bit).  Are you doing any more NYRR races this year?  I finished the 9+1 program by running the Poland Spring 5 mile race.  I am also registered for the Ted Corbitt 15k next month.  And (ugh) the Manhattan half in January.  I figure that I need to redeem myself after the epic fail that was the Staten Island Half.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nearly 79 degrees for my run yesterday morning.  This morning:   59 degrees.  The rain started last night, the temp droppped 20 flippin' degrees and the rain is supposed to continue through today and tonight and into part of tomorrow.  I was up at 4:30 a.m. and noticed we had a bit of a lull in the rain - still raining but very lightly, not the steady downpour that started last night - so I got my gear on, went to the university and did 3.2 miles.  Let me tell you, we South Texans can feel a 20-degree drop in temp, so I had on one of my regular running shirts with a light base layer underneath - yeah, we are cold-weather wimps in South Texas.  The rain was steady but light, so not too bad - but that WIND...ohhhh, that WIND that gets around you....the times I was running into it, it made the raindrop feel like little "missiles' being pushed into me, occasionally stinging my face. Fun stuff.   And yet..I had a really good run/walk.  Felt really strong, ran all my running segments hard, felt tired at the end, but the 'good' kind of tired, a very satisfying outing!

I am glad I went this morning because now our weather folks have put us on a flood watch for the rest of the day, telling us the rain will come down pretty hard starting about noon, and go into the night, and pretty much assuring us there will be some roads flooding this afternoon and into the night.  I dunno about the rest of Texas, but here in San Antonio, we have some pretty lousy 'bad weather' drivers and when this kind of weather occurs, we always end up with accidents all over the place.  So I plan on just staying at work for a while, then take the back roads home, nice and easy.  Longer commute but safer.

PAD, hope your rain up there in North Texas is not as as bad as ours down here!

Welcome back, Kristin!  Sometimes we all need a break every now and then.  Glad you are back into it and hope your running mojo sticks around!  Sure missed your race photos though...."hot' socks on Great Legs......

Only 5 miles, Damaris? You feeling okay?   Good luck with the deposition today.

sapf, can you do yoga poses during your running?   Hope your workouts went well!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Hey pens.  RD here for me.

Scotty- That's a great photo you posted yesterday!  New avatar pic?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I had a nice 6.5 mile run last night and tonight I will do some more. Seven more weeks of easy base building and marathon training starts again. DD has XC league finals today but I think I am going to miss it because the other DD needs to get to swimming. Eh, it's fine.

Zel: You should consider Avenue of the Giants. They also have a HM and 10k.

tracilynn

5.1 done this morning... about half of it on trails.

157 things to do now. Will be back later

~~~~~~~

Traci

obiebyke

Hi Kristin! It's so good to see you back on here!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hey everyone Smile

Sapf- I did my 8th race last weekend for the 9+1 (Dash to the Finish 5K). I have the Jingle Bell Jog in December as my 9th. What happened in Staten Island? I haven't been around here much so I missed you talk about it.

GinnyinPA

Kristin - welcome back.  You have been missed. How did the 5k go?

Damaris - have a good run and class tonight.

PAD - hope you get a break in the rain so you can enjoy a run later.

Scotty - sorry about the flooding.  I've lived in the SW, so I know how quickly the washes can fill up and how insane some of the drivers are when they do.  I'm glad you enjoyed your wet run this morning.

sapf - sounds like a good plan.  I find I have to be careful doing yoga after running because I tend to overstretch when my muscles are warm, and then they hurt for days.

Z - enjoy your rest day.

Jack - will your wife be running the marathon too?  That looks like such a nice course, except for the double out and back.  Hope you get a run while your daughter is swimming.

Tracilynn - nice run this a.m.  Are your trails steep or fairly gentle?

AFM:  I'll probably do 5 or so easy miles later.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey everyone Smile

Sapf- I did my 8th race last weekend for the 9+1 (Dash to the Finish 5K). I have the Jingle Bell Jog in December as my 9th. What happened in Staten Island? I haven't been around here much so I missed you talk about it.

SI was just terrible.  I ran the first 6 miles decently but then stepped on something a bit wrong with my bad ankle/foot and had to walk/jog the rest of it.  Finished in 2:50 which was a PW by over 17 minutes for me.

Attempted to do yoga with no brace on my bad ankle today.  Gave up about half way through and put the brace back on.  It wasn't acutely painful or anything but I knew I was running home and didn't want to push myself too much.  Baby steps :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

tracilynn

Welcome back Kristin! Although I've seen you on FB  but welcome back to the igloo!

Jack, that run with the giants sounds like a really pretty course.

Ginny, the trails around my house are very very mild. Not steep at all just rooty and snaky.

I just signed up for a last minute half marathon this Saturday.  I MUST  have the medal/bottle opener finishers medal they are promising :P

will take it real easy probably lots of walk breaks

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

SI was just terrible.  I ran the first 6 miles decently but then stepped on something a bit wrong with my bad ankle/foot and had to walk/jog the rest of it.  Finished in 2:50 which was a PW by over 17 minutes for me.

Attempted to do yoga with no brace on my bad ankle today.  Gave up about half way through and put the brace back on.  It wasn't acutely painful or anything but I knew I was running home and didn't want to push myself too much.  Baby steps :-)

Ouch.  Hope it's nothing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page