Beginners and Beyond

Illinois Marathon RR (Read 68 times)

StepbyStep-SH

April 26, 2014 — Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon, Champaign, Ill.
    4:08:15; 19th of 86 in F40-49; 193 of 693 women; 630 of 1685 overall

Training: I created my own plan, with some input from a friend, that focused on rebuilding my average miles after a year of lower-mileage running and subsequent mediocre results. I substituted hill workout for speedwork, but incorporated some HMP and MP pace miles into several of my long runs. At peak training, I had 6 of 7 weeks over 55 mpw (highest was 64) and 4 runs of 20 or 22 miles in those 7 weeks, plus an 18 and a few other double-digit runs.

Goal: Sub-4 hour if possible.

Day before: Drove nearly 400 miles from home to Champaign, picked up my packet, grabbed Chipotle for dinner, and chilled in the hotel room before going to bed early.

Day of: Temps started out around 50* and would reach near 70* by the time I finish, temperatures I hadn’t run in for several months, with full sun and very little shade along the route.

I had predicted a 3:59 finish time when I entered, which placed me in the third corral. I considered dropping back one or two corrals to run with the 4:00 or 4:05 pacers, but decided to just stay in my assigned corral and stay to the back of it.

The race started right on time, and my wave was released on schedule about 5 minutes after the first. Total numbers between the half and full were around 8,000, I think, and they had it split into at least 8 waves. The volunteers were also trying to be vigilant about grabbing people who were in the wrong corral, as I saw one follow a few runners with Wave F on their bibs into my corral and send them back.

My legs felt a little stiff and sore right from the start, which didn’t give me much confidence in my goal, but I decided I was stay with a 4-hour pace as long as I could and just go with it. They did loosen up a bit after a couple of miles, though I never felt completely comfortable and relaxed. The first few miles were also mostly going east toward the rising sun, so I was running with my head down to avoid the glare.

1- 9:10

2- 9:00

3- 9:06

4- 9:10

5- 8:59

6- 9:05

7- 9:20 (gel, walked the water station)

8- 9:08

Through this point, I was staying under 9:10, which is basically 4-hour pace. But I was starting to feel fatigue in my hip flexors and a bit of tightness in my calves. There are no true hills in this race, only a few slight rises and dips. I was trying to match the tangents, as we had a number of curves, and stay in the middle of the road away from the camber when we had straight aways. One bit of humor appeared in a prairie restoration/public art park. A beautiful statue of a naked woman sported a race bib on her backside, a pair of shoes dangling from one hand and a space blanket on the other.

9- 9:11

10- 9:17 (starting to fade)

11- 9:13

12- 9:13

When the 6,000 half-marathoners headed straight toward the finish while we marathoners turned to complete the second half of our tour of the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana, it suddenly became much quieter. I chatted a bit with a marathoner who was on his 17th state, and had also run the Nairobi Marathon and Comrades in South Africa, then eased forward a bit on my own. I started feeling the effort more, and decided to shoot for staying under 9:30 through the 20-mile mark if I could, but that wasn’t going to happen.

13- 9:02

14- 9:18 (gel)

15- 9:27

16- 9:39

17- 9:27

18- 9:47 (tried waiting for a porta-potty-then went on)

19- 10:18 (passed by the 4:00 pace group, which had started in the wave after me, took a gel and found an open porta-potty)

From 20 on, I was just trying to stay under a 10-minute-mile, knowing that should still get me to the finish in under 4:10, 8 minutes faster than I ran Icebreaker in January. I had started throwing water over my head back before Mile 10, because I knew it was going to heat up, and I continued to do the same through the rest of the race, in addition to hitting every misting station or homeowner with a sprinkler or hose. I know that 65 degrees is nothing for many people, but even my summer runs in early mornings are seldom warmer than that, and most of my outdoor runs in this training cycle had been in temps in the 30s and 40s.

20- 9:42

21- 9:41

22- 9:47

23- 9:35

24- 9:59

25- 10:09 (this mile took forever - don't know why)

26- 9:42

last part at 9:05 pace

The finish is on the 50-yard line of the University of Illinois football stadium. I forgot to look up to see myself on the jumbotron, but did try to smile and lift up my feet at the finish for a good photo. Grabbed a bottle of water and one of Gatorade and looked for a spot in the shade. There wasn’t any inside the stadium, so I didn’t stay there long, and instead collected my bag and found a place outside on the grass under some trees to stretch and massage out my calves, shins and feet, which were wanting to cramp.

Observations about this event: Well-organized and they do a pretty good job of communicating with runners. When they realized a few weeks before race day that the shirt sizes were running small, they emailed all registered runners and asked them to update their size requests accordingly, and they were prepared to exchange shirts there at the expo also. Shirts are gender-specific and simple, not covered in screen print. The expo was small, but had a variety of booths, and they had plenty of volunteers for bib/packet pick-up. I did have some troubles with the directions they had given for driving to the start and parking on race morning, because the directions sent me up the street where the start was, but it had already been blocked off. Otherwise, the start line was fairly well organized, a lot of waves to help with congestion, and plenty of portapotties. Lots of volunteers on the course and a fair number of spectators, though a few areas were a little lonely, especially once the half split off. They also handed out Gu at three different points on the route, with the volunteers even calling out the flavor they had. Aid stations were inconsistent, but well marked. Some had water on one side of the road, Gatorade on the other, though most were on both sides, Gatorade first, water at the end. Lots of volunteers at the finish as well. My only quibble was with their post-race food. The only things that I could eat were the bananas, the Muscle Milk (gag! I forced myself to drink a few swallows, but really can’t stand it) and supposedly some gluten-free pasta, but I can barely function after running 26.2, trying to balance a bowl of pasta, a bottle of water, my gear bag, and find a way to sit down without falling over didn’t appeal to me. I’d have rather had some chocolate milk, potato chips and orange slices.

I know a couple of people have expressed interest in running this in the next few years. My advice, if you want a nice hotel near the start/finish, get it booked early. I ended up in an older hotel a few miles away. They did have a decent live band at the finish, free beer for runners, and a massage/stretching tent (though if I had stood waiting in line for the stretching, I’d have cramped up for sure). The rec center locker rooms are nice and worth the $5 pass if you don’t have a hotel for that night and want to shower before heading out.

After stretching and drinking a frozen latte thing I had in my drop bag, I made the long walk to my car, gathered my bag, and walked back past the stadium to the rec center to shower. Then the long drive home - about 7 hours counting stops. Lots of stops. For food, drink, bathroom and stretching.

Next up: A little recovery, then a couple weeks of hills, trails and long runs before my June 6 50k trail run. For this fall, I’m not sure. I’d like to run another full, but my husband will likely be out of the country during the peak fall racing season. I’m keeping my options open, though, and will probably train through the summer with a fall full in mind. I plan to go back to including intervals and tempo runs, and hope to get my weight back to where it was when I ran my PR.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

StepbyStep-SH

OK, just have to add this anecdote as a sign of how "out of it" I can be toward the end of one of these things. When I took my Espresso Love Gu around Mile 19, I remember thinking it really tasted awful and not how I remembered those tasting - but thought it was just because I was hot and tired. Actually, it was because what I thought was an Espresso Love was actually a Chocolate Raspberry Roctane, which doesn't actually taste bad, it just doesn't taste like the Espresso Love I thought I had pulled out of my pocket.

And another: While the idea of spectators calling out your name to cheer you on (because it's written on your bib) sounds great, it isn't quite as effective when they read it wrong. "Go, Sarah!" just isn't that motivating when your name is Shari.

hog4life

Shari, you are a strong runner and I have no doubt that you will get that PR soon. Nice write up, and a great time that I would be extremely excited about. Nice work.

LRB

Way to keep it together late during your race!  Although there was a fade, you didn't completely blow up.  You simply ran a new marathon pace, a testament no doubt to your training.

I ws going to say this the other day when you mentioned the temps in the dailies, but didn't want to jinx you or screw with your head.  I had the exact same conditions and a five hour drive for the Charlevoix marathon in 2012.  50's at the start, 70's for the finish.  Yeah, that completely sucked a**!

When you are running the second half of a marathon in 70 degree temps (which feel like 90 to the body) nothing you have done in training is going to prevent you from wilting in the heat.  Nothing.

I went on to come in 10 minutes short of my goal so you did a little better than I did.

For me the drive was of little consequence.  It was the rise in temps that did me in and two years removed from it I know this to be true because I still do not perform well at anything longer than the mile when it's hot.

You gave it your best and clearly see the positive in things so that is good.  You just have to find the right event at the right time of year and that sub-4:00 will be yours and then some!

Nice training cycle, nice race!  Sucky conditions however which were completely out of your control.

Oh, and for me it was mile 23 at Charlevoix that felt as if it was 4 miles long!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, first you ran a marathon and then you had a marathon drive home after the race!  You must've been exhausted after you got home!

That's why, personally when I travel any distance, I always stay an extra day after the race to just be able to sit in the hotel room and chill post-race and then be nice and rested for any travel.   I know it's not always possible for some people to do that with their schedules, but you might consider it next time.

Anyway, congrats on your marathon!  Very nice report, and finishing on the 50-yard line of the football field, very nice.   Good luck with your upcoming 50K, the training for it and the race itself!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations.  You did well, given the heat.  I agree with Scotty - having to drive that far to get home afterwards can be really painful.  Good luck with your June ultra.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice race and RR Sarah (I mean Shari).  I should really run the HM sometime.  Sent enough money to that town.

Docket_Rocket

I think 9 minutes off your goal is not bad when considering the weather.  Awesome job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Nice running, Step.  65 feels like a damn heat wave when you are used to running in those winter temps we just had.  Fine for anything HM and under, but can really wear you down in a marathon.  I think you did great.  That's got to be cool to finish in the football stadium.  As a football fan, I'd love to do that some day.

<3

Ah, bringing back (hazy) memories of my college days....

Nice race, especially under the conditions. I agree with everyone's comments about the temperatures, 65-70 in the sun over the back half of a marathon is downright hot & will definitely slow you down. And I would be pretty stiff after the 400 mile drive there. That drive home must've been tough too...prying yourself out of the car when you did stop would have to be a challenge.

Take some time off & relax, then good luck on your future races!

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Thanks, guys! The drive wasn't bad for the first 4 hours, and by then I was so close to home that it didn't make sense to blow another $100+ on a hotel room. I'm sure people were a little confused, though, as to why a fairly fit looking young(ish) woman was having trouble walking up the steps at the rest area.

Today I have been completely wiped out and have done nothing more strenuous than a 20-minute stroll around the neighborhood and loading/unloading the dishwasher. Didn't even make dinner - that's what pizza delivery was invented for!

Zelanie

I agree with the camp that says that 60s and 70s are seriously warm temps when

- they're not what you trained in all winter, and

- you're running a marathon

Sounds like you did really well for the conditons.  Congratulations, and glad you made it home OK.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice RR, Sarah. Wink  It's all about getting that good finish line picture, so well done! You will get that sub 4 next time, I'm sure. Were you happy with the plan you created? Also, like the others have said, it was hot. Where I live running in the 60s is ideal, but it you are training in cold weather for months on end, 65 may as well be 105. Recover nicely, go for it again, and good luck in your big 50k.

StepbyStep-SH

The MarathonFoto people were positively swarming around my race Saturday and actually came up with a few good shots - even a couple of floaters - but when the cheapest option is $18 for a single 5x7 print, and downloads start at $25, I simply cannot justify it. Maybe if I someday manage a BQ time and get a finish line photo with the time in the picture, or photos from Boston, but not for this.
                              So, if anyone wants to see what I look like running - feel free to click here.

outoftheblue

Between the 400 mile drive to get there and warm temps, those were some tough conditions.  I think you did great!

Life is good.