Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Salute Scotty's Schedule! (Read 19 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

TWO races again today for Scotty, nice!  Hope there are lots of friendly dogs and photo moments.  I am racing a 5K this evening myself.

But more importantly, I heard from Jack.  His family and house are OK, but they have been evacuated and are staying with friends.  Which for the kids is a grand adventure, of course.  They may not be back in their house until Monday, and they may or may not have power then.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD most likely.

Thanks for the update, Mel.  Hope they are doing OK.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So I ran the FROZEN PENGUIN 5K this morning (penguins)!!! Ran my race as a fartlek. Overall pace was just under 11:00 min miles (33:44 unofficial time) which is faster than my easy pace by a little, but I hit 10K pace a few times during the race for just like 100 yards or so.....THAT felt GREAT. I hit 5K pace once or twice for a hot second and then decided not to get carried away. But look at this great New Balance LS tech shirt and finisher's medal! I had a surprise FE when I ran into MeaghanSketch and BlueDahlia too!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Congrats, Kristin!  Those short fartleks can really feel great sometimes, can't they?  Like I finally feel like a runner or something.  Glad you're feeling better and that you had a good time.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats, Kristin!  Good luck, Mel.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

I guess it's afternoon penguins now.

Scotty never stops!

Congrats kristin.

6 on the bike last night, 3 easy this morning plus cross.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Kristin that shirt is adorable!

Zel thanks for the update on Jack and family.

6.55 miles for me this morning, my longest run ever by a whole 0.11 miles. I met up with my club at 8:00 but there were only 4 of us and no one at my pace, so I ran alone. I believe it climbed to about 13F by the time we started and I guess that's enough to deter some people, haha. I was pretty eager to get out of the cold ASAP so I finished in 1:05 and change, speedy for a long run for me, and I ran into a guy like, prancercizing down the boulevard toward the end, which was kind of hilarious. And that rounds out my second 20+ mile week in a row! Smile

SheCan

So I ran the FROZEN PENGUIN 5K this morning (penguins)!!! Ran my race as a fartlek. Overall pace was just under 11:00 min miles (33:44 unofficial time) which is faster than my easy pace by a little, but I hit 10K pace a few times during the race for just like 100 yards or so.....THAT felt GREAT. I hit 5K pace once or twice for a hot second and then decided not to get carried away. But look at this great New Balance LS tech shirt and finisher's medal! I had a surprise FE when I ran into MeaghanSketch and BlueDahlia too!

Congratulations, Kristin!  I feel so proud of you to be racing again like this.  Great job and I love the penguin (Yay!) shirt and metal.  I hope you wear that shirt a lot to represent us.

Z--- good luck to you in your race this evening!  

Hey Miss Darmaris!

PAD-- good job on your biking and running.  Nice RR and that metal was awesome.  

Lauren-- that was some speedy miles and terrific job on a new length PR.   Glad you're doing so well.

Jack hope your home and family are okay.

It was really windy out today, so I did about 9 miles on the stationary bike.  By then it looked like the wind had died down some, so I tried to run.  After a little more than 2-1/2 I finally made it back home, a bit wet, scared and windblown. It hadn't died down enough.  So I did some weights and Pilates and called it a day.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys! I love the shirt and medal.....my favorite race shirt for sure! Felt good to try a little faster running mixed in there today. I actually have another 5K tomorrow. But this one I'm taking very slow.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Thanks guys! I love the shirt and medal.....my favorite race shirt for sure! Felt good to try a little faster running mixed in there today. I actually have another 5K tomorrow. But this one I'm taking very slow.

Probably a good idea at this time.  But, heck, that you're even out there doing these races already is pretty amazing.  I know you can't push the running, but you were so active during your recovery.  In some ways do you feel just as fit?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Mel - thanks for the update on Jack's family.  Good luck on your race tonight.  Have fun.

Damaris - enjoy your rest day.

Kristin - I love the shirt.  Have fun tomorrow.  Fartleks can be fun, and it's amazing how much they increase your speed.

PADRunner - good job on the run today and yesterday's bike ride.  How is the leg?

Lauren - prancercizing?  Sounds like fun.  Good job on your longest run ever.  I'm faster when it's cold too.  I want to get inside where it's warm asap.

Cherie - wind isn't usually a problem where you are.  Good job getting out, but sometimes it's better to know when to stop.

AFM:  A really good day today.  We couldn't think of anywhere to hike that wasn't going to be solid ice, so we ended up driving out to Gettysburg (about 30 miles) and walking beside the road and on the horse trail.  We didn't go far, only 3 miles or so, because DH was hungry, but it was someplace different and I was reminded of how nice a place the battlefield is to run.  I'll be back soon!  We stopped at the Appalachian Brewing Company for a late lunch of  beer cheese soup (thanks to this forum) and a quesadilla, with some good craft brew, followed by ice cream at Baskin Robbins.

Docket_Rocket

Hubby finished assembling the TM so of course I had to try it.  2 mile walk with 2 X 0.20 and 1 X 0.10 runs.  Will monitor and expand or reduce from there on Tuesday.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Finished in 25:35. It is a PR, but man do I suck at 5Ks.

hog4life

Zel, congrats on the PR!

Damaris, glad you're getting better. Also nice to here that you met Jerry and his wife.

Jack, thinking of you, hope all will be okay.

14.45 mile LR, with the first 6.8 with Bella.