Beginners and Beyond

Sauntering Thursday Penguins (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

"World Sauntering Day" is celebrated on the 19th day of June every year. The purpose is to remind us to take it easy, smell the roses, to slow down and enjoy life as opposed to rushing through it. It is also sometimes referred to as International Sauntering Day

I think I'll saunter out for a few as soon as I'm caffeinated.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning, PAD.  Have a nice saunter.

We will do a 5 mile saunter after work.  It's cooled off a bit.

sapf, dew points over 60 are getting uncomfortable for me.

Have a great Thriday !!!

Philliefan33

Good morning PAD and Jerry.

My effort this morning said "aerobic" but my pace said "saunter".  Temperature of 70º (not bad) with dew point of 69º made for a sweaty run.  I managed a little over four miles, here at work.  I got up earlier than usual, pulled on my running clothes and drove to work, did my run, and showered in the locker room.  I don't have to dress up for work -- khakis and a collared shirt are perfectly acceptable to work in the lab.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Also, Happy Juneteenth Day.

...worldwide celebration that honors the end of slavery in the United States. Today, we reflect on and commemorate the freedom and independence of African Americans in America and around the world. Juneteenth was first celebrated in Texas in 1865 and has since spread across the United States and worldwide.

Zelanie

Good morning!   Happy Juneteenth!  It's my mom's birthday, and since she was born in Texas, we knew all about it growing up.

I'm really happy with my tempo run last night.  Out of the whole program, it was the one I was worried about the most because I just don't have any practice running at marathon pace, and with the lackluster spring racing for me, I wasn't sure if my goals from last fall were still even reasonable.  After a 2-mile warmup, I had 6 at MP, and then a one-mile cooldown.  I let myself ease into my pace over the first two miles, and that seemed to work really well.

Today I have to finish cleaning out my classroom, plus of course I have a meeting all morning.  But then I will be done with school for the summer!  I also have a 7-mile saunter later on.

PAD- Hope you enjoyed your saunter.

Jerry- Happy Thriday to you too!

Margo- Glad you got a run in at work!  Not having any shower facilities is the limiting factor for me.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10 miles done this morning.  Took the car in to be repaired, and now I am working from home.  Pilates and more miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Mel, have you ever done the Foot Traffic Flat Marathon (or HM)?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wooohoooo!  Nice run/walk this morning.  Up at 5 a.m. this morning and went to Fort Sam Houston to do my miles in 'the soup' this morning - - thunderstorms threatening today, so the air was really thick.  77 degrees at 5:30 am, with a 'feels like' time of 82, humidity at 80 percent, dew-point at 74.   Never-the-less I kicked butt.  I guess my hot after-work running in the 'feels like 90+" weather carries over because when I run in the morning and the temp is only 77, in spite of the humidity and dew-point I feel great when I'm out there in the mornings, like my body is saying..'ehh, this weather is nothing after the 90+ stuff!"  I had planned for about 3 this morning but was feeling so good I extended it for a bit more and ended up with 3.6.  I probably would've gone a bit farther than even that, but time was pressing and I had to get my butt into the shower and get dressed and get to work.  Nice run/walk and I even met a couple of doggies along the way that were out in their yards and gave them some treats.   I am glad I did run this morning because now San Antonio Weather Guy is reporting we may get some really bad thunderstorms this afternoon.

Oh, and Gail and I did not go to weight training last night.  We forgot it was the night of the riverboat parade for the San Antonio Spurs along the Riverwalk, in celebration of their 5th NBA Championship,  followed by a huge party open to the public at the Alamodome Stadium where the Spurs used to play (they now play in the AT&T Center).  So we enjoyed that instead.  Wow, Alamodome was PACKED with about 75,000 cheering, happy fans.  Standing room only!   Even with the A/C, a little warm in there.  But, as Coach Popovich of the Spurs shouted out.."The Spurs and their fans don't mind a little "HEAT" do we?"  That got a big cheer, lol.  Nice party! A good time was had by all.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Mel, have you ever done the Foot Traffic Flat Marathon (or HM)?

My boss has done it, and I hear really, really good things about it as a race, the course, and the organization.  Plus there's strawberry shortcake afterwards.

Scotty- Great run!  Glad that you were able to enjoy it!  I was thinking yesterday how great it was that you find ways to get out there and enjoy every run, whether it's the butterflies, or the riverwalk, or the zoo.  Nice!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"World Sauntering Day" is celebrated on the 19th day of June every year. The purpose is to remind us to take it easy, smell the roses, to slow down and enjoy life as opposed to rushing through it. It is also sometimes referred to as International Sauntering Day

I think I'll saunter out for a few as soon as I'm caffeinated.

The way our weather is these days, it should be "Sauna-ing Day' for us!    Hope your saunter went well, PAD!

I WISH we had 60 dewpoints, Jerry.  I bet Damaris would kill for a 60 dewpoint!    Good luck with your 5 miles!   Umm, yeah, Jerry, Juneteenth may have started in Texas but, sadly, it certainly was not the Texans' idea to celebrate it.  I always thought it kind of ironic that Texas became a slave state after winning their independence in 1836 from Mexico, a country that outlawed slavery.

"Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive Order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Nice that you have a shower at work, Phillie, very convenient!

Congrats on your miles, Damaris, apparently your lungs are behaving.   Hope they get your car done quickly.

Two days left, right Zelanie?  And then you are off to Costa Rica.   All packed and ready to go!   Gail always thinks it's funny that when we take a trip, I always have all my stuff packed and ready about 3 days before we actually leave.

Where are you obiebyke?  I saw flooding video of places last night on Weather Channel - I think they were showing someplace in Missouri -  it looked pretty bad.   Stay safe!

obiebyke

Happy Juneteenth, and I love Sauntering Day!

Yesterday I ran 5K 43 seconds faster than my PR time from 2008.  My fitness is great!

Today's a much-needed RD. We have crazy flash flooding due to 2-4 inches of rain overnight. I couldn't sleep because the thunder was so loud on and off.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Brilliant

Good morning!  Day off for me.  I did a hard 5 miles last night.  I'm discouraged.  Today I'll concentrate on sauntering through life.

Damaris and Scotty, nice running in the heat, my kudos always go out to you for that!

Zelanie, congrats on the good tempo run!

PAD & Jerry, enjoy your sauntering today.

Margo, that's great that you can run from work.

Congrats Obie!!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning!  Day off for me.  I did a hard 5 miles last night.  I'm discouraged.  Today I'll concentrate on sauntering through life.

Damaris and Scotty, nice running in the heat, my kudos always go out to you for that!

Zelanie, congrats on the good tempo run!

PAD & Jerry, enjoy your sauntering today.

Margo, that's great that you can run from work.

Congrats Obie!!!

Care to share?   Hey, nothing is ever as bad as it seems.  Things have a way of working out, you'll see.  You will figure it all out, whatever it is, and get right back on track.

Brilliant

Care to share?   Hey, nothing is ever as bad as it seems.  Things have a way of working out, you'll see.  You will figure it all out, whatever it is, and get right back on track.

Thanks, Scotty.  It was just one of those runs that was really hard and I was thinking I SHOULD be faster/better than this, why so hard, etc. etc.  But then as soon as I posted I saw Obie post about her 5k time and I realized that maybe last night was hard, BUT I know I'm improving every day, week, month...I can see the numbers.  So I already feel a little better. Smile