Beginners and Beyond

I Went for a Run (Read 94 times)

LRB

I was out of town on a family matter and was supposed to come back last night but you know how it goes with family; fun times and reminiscing leads to an (un)expected extended stay.  I was aware that might happen and took my running bag and gear just in case.

So upon awakening this morning, I cleared the cobwebs from my head, got dressed in my running garb and took a pre-run drive for coffee while also looking for a route to run.

Unlike the big city as small towns go if you drive 2 miles in any direction you are usually in another town and that was the case today, which could pose a problem when looking for sidewalks to run on.

I have never run on the roads mostly because where I live I do not have to as there are sidewalks aplenty, but also because I have always been scared shitless at the thought of running with cars.

But alas, the sidewalks in Moraine Ohio were hit and miss and nothing looked particularly inviting.  Mentally perturbed, after about ten minutes I eventually said screw it and went back to my aunts house, parked, finished my coffee and walked to the corner.

Once there I looked to the left for the first time (I had turned right while driving earlier because that was where the sidewalk began ) and there was a lush green canopy that filled the sky.

It piqued my interest and for reasons that remain unknown to me I headed that way, running on the road facing oncoming traffic.

One could almost say that I was drawn to it and the the further I ran, the more lost in the run I became.

This was a busy, hilly, winding road but surprisingly I was not afraid of the traffic.  I would say that I was cognizant and cautious, but not afraid.  Weird.

It was 72 degrees and the sun filled the sky which would otherwise be an uncomfortable run for a vampire like me, but I was buried so deep in greenery that it felt as if it was 50 degrees.

There were several occasions where I ran in the grass to avoid putting myself at risk, but it was not because someone drove near me.  Indeed, for the most part the oncoming cars gave me plenty of room, those that did not never veered towards the shoulder where I was running so at no point did I feel threatened.

I was running at an easy effort but at a pace that was anything but.  Any other time I may have adjusted my effort but today I decided not to be bothered with any of that and instead enjoyed the scenic view, the serenity and just the fact that I was away from it all.

I came upon several intersections during the outward bound portion of my run, but continued onward and upward on the main road (Alex Bell), almost as if I was being summoned.

The elevation map may not really show it, but this was an up and down route both going out and coming back in.  There were a few times where I could not see beyond an approaching hill, in those cases my senses took over and I listened for traffic forward and aft.  I was in another world but fully aware of this one.

I felt strong and at peace, and leaned into the elevation rise whenever I felt a change.  I could feel my effort increase and decrease throughout the run, but at no time was I concerned about my fitness or whether I could continue to climb.

I eventually made it to what apparently was calling me; a point in the road where it literally shot up into the sky.  I charged up it without missing a beat, even though there was a time or two when it seemed as if I was standing still while ascending it.

Once I crested it I thought to myself that's going to be interesting to run back down and boy was it!

I continued on for just a bit more and made it to the 3.5 mile mark.  I knew my aunt had to leave for church soon so I turned and made my way back in.

Shortly thereafter I came to that now steep downhill and though Garmin indicated that I was running at a 6:30 pace, believe me when I tell you there was no running going on at all, as I literally rode the brakes all the way down that bad boy and at one point I think I said holy shit out loud!

I made it down okay and strangely the entire run was done at a much faster pace than I normally put out for an easy run, both going up and down.  Unlike times in the past however I just went with it, freeing myself from the burden of set paces, training plans or mileage obligations.

No today I just ran.  And ran, and ran, and ran.

Depending on where you live, these images may be sights that you see and run everyday.  I have actually seen them in Michigan but have never been in a position where I had to or more specifically, wanted to run them.

That changed today as a city boy who was born and bred in the concrete jungle finally experienced the true essence of running.  There was no known route, no set distance, no sidewalks nor a single familiar thing.

I could have never imagined a scenario where I would run on the roads with traffic, but no different than any other time in my running life when the time comes to make a change be it ditching the headphones, the knee length shorts or running in the dark; I charge forward and never look back...

I went for a run this morning, something I have done hundreds of times.  This time however I returned a completely different person and have since come to realize that until today, I had never actually run before.

Docket_Rocket

Nice place to run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Good job! Are you doing couch to 5k?

Nevrgivup

Nice pictures. Sounds like a nice run to me. No worries about time or distance.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Mmmmm...beer

It's Batman! Smile

Sounds like a great run Rick!  I'm pretty spoiled here with nice neighborhoods to run through, and multiple parks and trails to choose from.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

It's Batman! Smile

Sounds like a great run Rick!  I'm pretty spoiled here with nice neighborhoods to run through, and multiple parks and trails to choose from.

I didn't notice!  Yes.  Like this!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

It's Batman! Smile

Damnit!  I was going to post that!

nice run LRB

A very cool bucolic run.  I don't see it during my neighborhood run.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Great post, Rick.  Very zen.

RSX

Nice runs and great pictures. My in-laws live in Western MA. When I run out there some views are similar to your pictures. I deal with a small shoulder out there but not a lot of cars so it all works. I love my city/burb runs but those are a nice change of pace.

Love the Half

I think a change of pace/scenery on occasion is therapeutic.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That's like when I was in Wisconsin last summer.  This So Cal, concrete-jungle-bred boy felt exactly the same as you.  I had NO CLUE where I was going, just that I was having fun.  Just ran & ran & ran til I figured I'd better turn around if I wanted to make it back in reasonable time.  It was awesome & the scenery looked JUST LIKE what you posted!!!

Glad you took pics too & thanks for sharing them!!  That's one of the nicer things to leave stuck in the brain's vault!!!

Randy

And that's what running is. Smile    Thanks for sharing.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            Just B.S.

Looks like prettty much every run or bike ride  I do locally. I mostly have no choice about running/cycling with

Traffic.

But  billions of trees and waterways, pretty as heck and great people makes me love where I live.

Little Blue

Looks much like rural NC.  Except our pavement has more holes.

Perhaps you'd be less fearful of running on roads if you didn't spend so much time on the double yellow line.