Beginners and Beyond

10K or HM in Chicago June or July (Read 30 times)

So my DW's best friend is moving to Chicago this January.  My DW would like to visit her in June or July.  My DW is a school teacher.  Is there any 10K or HM which you would recommend during those months.  I would accompany her on the trip.  For those who have raced in Chicago, is my perception accurate, that the courses are relatively flat?

Thanks in advance.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

The Michelob Ultra 13.1 is in Chicago in mid June.  It was a nice event, nice weather.

it was flat even to me and I don't consider the Chicago marathon Miami flat.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The North Shore HM is 5/31.  Goes through very upscale Highland Park as well as the old Fort Sheridan Army base that has beautiful grounds and  has been largely re-developed into upscale housing converted from the old officer quarters and homes. Maybe 3,000 runners operated by RAM racing.  I did run this in 2013.  It was good if you want a small race.  Convenient if she lives north.

I also ran the 10K Race Against Hate in Evanston.  It goes along the lakefront park and NU lakefront campus.  Current construction at NU might change the route though.  Maybe 5,000 participants.  Good race and well organized.  Race is in June.

There is a RnR HM in July on the lakefront.  Big race and convenient if you are in the city.  Haven't run this one.

The Big Ten 10K is in late July.  It is also a lakefront race.  Maybe 20,000 participants.  I ran this one as well.  Race was okay with a good post race party.  It is by Soldier Field and there's not much parking.  I think there are shuttles  You don't have to be a Big Ten graduate to run.

Out in the NW burbs is the Alexian Bros 10K/HM in Hoffman Estates, July 25th.  It is a night race mostly in a forest preserve.

If you can't find a race, at least do a lakefront run in the city.

That's all I know of.  I live here so feel free to PM if you have any questions.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Be forewarned that Chicago weather can be hot and humid in June and July - maybe not by D-R's Miami standards - but still uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. Certainly not conducive to fast times.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Thanks everyone for the information.  Lot's of possibilities to consider. Jerry, btw, my wife's friend plans to relocate some where near Deerfield because her husband will work in that city and they want a short commute compared to what they experience in metro Atlanta.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

FYI, Deerfield is very close to the North Shore HM in Highland Park.  Packet pick up is in Deerfield.  Other running trails and are close by as well and you can also run in the Chicago Botanic Gardens.