Beginners and Beyond

At what point do you just say f/ck it? UPDATED (Read 159 times)

onemile

Here is the weather forecast for my upcoming 5k:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l131/wardj08/5kweather_zps3b45b52f.jpg

LRB

I am in the same stupid boat for my race!  I have been flipping and floundering like a damn fish as they are calling for temps in the low teens which is bad enough, but the race is along the riverfront where the winds usually kick you in the teeth.  And that's on a warm day!

I have decided to plan on racing, then make a game day decision the morning of...unless I say f/ck it the night before!  lol

In your case this was a goal 5k for you, and those may not be ideal conditions to race your best in.  You can still try it with the understanding that it may or may not produce the time you are hopeful for.

Docket_Rocket

If you want to race it, I would say fuck it.  If you want to run it and do a workout, yes, why not.  But there comes a time when too cold might be a detriment to your pace (just like too hot).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I have a 5 miler on New Year's Day.  I just want the pint glass...

I don't think below zero is a good time for a PR attempt.

Running is dumb.

bluerun

Super B****

Usually I don't concede defeat (provided it was a goal race, not one I planned to use as a workout) until I'm already at the starting line and can tell how the conditions feel in the moment.  But this does look pretty nasty... I'd probably mentally prepare myself to give up before I actually make the decision!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Rubybaby43

enabler

I would say f/ck and just run the race!!  Now, if you were having high winds with dangerously cold wind chills....

KLO

more miles = more beer

happylily

If you want to race it, I would say fuck it.  If you want to run it and do a workout, yes, why not.  But there comes a time when too cold might be a detriment to your pace (just like too hot).

+1

I've been thinking about doing a HM later in January and I would be facing the same conditions. The difference is that I would not be trying for a PR. Instead, I'd just be testing what it's like to run in cold (TM runner speaking). So, my question to you is: do you plan on wearing different shoes and are they snow specific shoes? And what would you wear for a temperature like this one? Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

Well it's not exactly a goal race but I don't want to run it if I can't PR.  I'd like to think my current PR is fairly soft but I'm also sort of out of shape right now so I don't know.  However, I do know that I'd rather do a workout at the indoor track than do this as a "fun run".

Docket_Rocket

Well it's not exactly a goal race but I don't want to run it if I can't PR.  I'd like to think my current PR is fairly soft but I'm also sort of out of shape right now so I don't know.  However, I do know that I'd rather do a workout at the indoor track than do this as a "fun run".

If you do not PR because of the conditions, you risk getting frustrated and believing your condition is not as good as it is.  If you understand that possibility, go for it and see what happens.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

+1

I've been thinking about doing a HM later in January and I would be facing the same conditions. The difference is that I would not be trying for a PR. Instead, I'd just be testing what it's like to run in cold (TM runner speaking). So, my question to you is: do you plan on wearing different shoes and are they snow specific shoes? And what would you wear for a temperature like this one? Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

I have screws in one of my pairs shoes for icy/snowy conditions but if the roads looked clear I'd probably wear my regular shoes.  I've been wanting to try out my new racing flats but they might be too slick if it's icy.

I would probably wear thermal tights, ls tech top, wind breaker, balaclava, and beanie.

onemile

I have a 5 miler on New Year's Day.  I just want the pint glass...

I don't think below zero is a good time for a PR attempt.

Oh but New Years day will be much warmer. A balmy 8 degrees.

RSX

I can't PR at any races as I get older anyway. I never backed out of a race because of weather, only injuries. I always look at bad weather races as being fun when I finished anyway.

I signed up for a flat 5k at my wife's high school next week. It has been real cold around here lately but I expect to have a lot of fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

There's your decision.  I know you.  Fuck this race and find a different 5K for your PR.

Running is dumb.

Rubybaby43

enabler

PRs are few and far between for me....so a lot of the races that I sign up for are relatively fun runs.

I'm too old for this sh!t.  LOL

KLO

more miles = more beer

StepbyStep-SH

If you'd rather run on a track than have a less-than-optimal race, then do that. Answered.

I happen to be the opposite - outdoors with other people, as long as the windchills aren't worse than -20*, is much more enjoyable for me than a track or treadmill.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.