Beginners and Beyond

Hug a Penguin WednesDAILY (Read 21 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

(((((Happy National Hugging Day))))

5 miles planned after work.  Looks like it will be inside.

PADRunner

Morning Penguins. Good group run last night and 6 done this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I've been lurking a bit lately/not really having time to post.

DR - I'm glad to hear that DH is okay.  Cancer scares are very scary.

Jerry - enjoy your 5

PAD - congrats on your 6

AFM - registering for the Brooklyn half today at noon.  I'm still on the fence about claiming my NYCM entry.  Reading SFs thread about novice marathons makes me a little iffy.  There are so many people who just regard us penguins with such disdain =/  I still have time to think about the NYCM thing.  I'll run 4 or 5 a bit later in the day.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning!  6 planned for after work.  Sapf, in my reading of the thread, there is just one person who holds that opinion.  The rest are just making sure that the race and the cutoff time is a good match for the runner.  Don't let one person's opinion hold you back from something that you really want to do.

If that's something you want to do, of course.  But will you be kicking yourself come race day if you're not in the starting corral?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice 3.3 mile run/walk after work yesterday on trails in a local park.  SWEET run in singlet and shorts because it was sunny and 82 freakin' degrees!  Yeah, baby!    Tonite, the rain is moving in BIG TIME, supposed to continue from tonite through Friday,  so I got up this morning at 5 a.m. and went to the university campus and got some miles in and did hill work too.  Feeling really good, so ended up with 4.3 miles of hills.   It was only 52 degrees, but there was a bit of a bite to the wind, so I wore a moisture-absorbing singlet under my short-sleeved shirt, so I'd stay dry and comfortable during my walk breaks, and that worked really well, felt good the whole way.

And...SHHHH.....don't tell my doc.....but with today, I just ended up running 5 straight days in a row, which is something I never do anymore with this stupid spinal arthritis.  But with the bad weather coming, I wanted to get in a run on a nice day, so went this morning.  I will be taking off Thursday and Friday, and then I have a race this weekend.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I love hugs, but from specific people, not random people.  Some people will hug just about anybody, but that weirds me out a little.  Let me know you a bit before you hug me!  Anyway ....  My quartet is meeting tonight to chat about some things.  Should be interesting!

Jerryb -- have a good inside 5!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your group run and your 6!!

Docket -- have a good 6 tonight!!

sapf -- Oh yeah, there's a lot of anti-penguin sentiment out there.  "If you can't finish in less than four hours, you shouldn't even be out there."  Give them the finger and register anyway!!

Zelanie -- Have a good 6 later!!

Scotty -- Wow, awesome weather!!  Even your 52 sounds pretty good ....  We have a high of 40 today, and potentially snow this weekend.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Sapf- it is hard (as a penguin) to read that thread but this is how I feel...  I could probably train for *years* and still not finish much before the SAG wagon, so we should just not even try?? and the last 6 miles may be a suck fest but it will be MY suck fest, no one else's so Eff it.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

sapf: When it the Brooklyn HM? If it is far enough out from the NYCM, you will have a good idea of where you are fitness wise and can train accordingly for the marathon. I prefer an 18 week plan but others can do it on less. Don't worry about how fast or slow you go, just do it if you want. That being said, train properly so you don't have a miserable experience.  My .02.

Traci: Are you looking into a HM or marathon?

As for me, 5 recovery miles later, 9:20 or so pace.  Week 4 of training got underway yesterday with 8 miles and 10 strides.

Have a nice day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Bad Boy, Scotty.  What is your Doctor's number?  I'm telling Wink

Singer who runs a smidge

Bad Boy, Scotty.  What is your Doctor's number?  I'm telling Wink

It's 1-800-U-SNITCH. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Counting calories sucks. I had 2200 of those suckers yesterday and I'm still starving today. Heading out in a few minutes to run 3 or 4 recovery miles and then devouring my lunch like a crazed beast.

tracilynn

Jack, I'm doing an April HM for sure and thinking of doing a March one.  I will NEVER do a marathon. Ever. But if I *wanted* to do a marathon, I would do one.

Nice run. Your daughters latest CC pics on FB ARE ADORABLE.  She's a real beauty.

~~~~~~~

Traci