Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins need to file their taxes! (Read 27 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's right!  I need to start working on my taxes tonight.

Last night, I had to run to my rental property after work to collect rent.  That's about a 30-40 minute drive, but I really wanted to get a run in.  I knew I had less than an hour to get in my car, and head that direction.  So, I decided on 1 warm up mile, and 30 minutes at tempo pace.  The first mile actually ended up being around 9:30.  The next 30 minutes were at an average of 8:12.  I still remember when I thought running anything below 9 was just mind blowing to me.  It was a short run, but it felt  awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 11 miles on tap.

Trixie came downstairs for the first time and to eat wet food.  She still has a cold (she caught it there as usual) but after that I m hoping she is back to normal.

Awood, we also need to finish ours.  Bah.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Awood, Good luck with the taxes.. That was some awesome run last night..

Damaris, Good to hear Trixie is recovering well.. Enjoy the 11M later..

Did 5M easy this morning... Will be on block leave tmr onward for 2 weeks! Big grin
          Was to do 10M w/ 4 @ LT tomorrow but I think my body is still recovering.. Will have to put off speedwork..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Awood - excellent run man!

Damaris - great that Trixie is getting more active!!

Bin - I'm learning to love those easy runs.  Well done.

AFM - I'm already chomping at the bit to get out and go run.  We have sun but cold and lake effect snow showers going on/off.  The upside is my new shoes should be in this week.  Local running store.  I was joking with the clerk about how (due to extra wide feet) it is hard to find cool colors.  So, she put me down for "the most obnoxious color available."  She wouldn't say what they are but I said I'd be happy with anything.  LOL  This might be interesting.  I think they will be in day after tomorrow.    6 easy miles on board for me later.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I keep pondering my knee issues in the back of my mind, and had a revelation of sorts this morning.  You see, I don't have any problems with my left knee, just my right.  So there must be something different about my right knee -- a different muscle imbalance or something I actually do differently with my right leg when I run.  I've looked at my running footprints in sand before, and I do pretty clearly set my right foot down often with the toes pointed about 30 degrees off parallel, so that's a definite difference.  And on that indoor track run, there were about 40 left turns, which would give me a lot of impetus to set that foot down crooked and push off.  I've wondered about that issue before, and during my walks I've been careful to keep that foot straight, and it does take some intention.  
              Not that this changes much, but it's a thinking point.  Anyway, another walk today, hopefully it'll be less windy than yesterday, even if it's a bit chillier.  And quartet practice tonight!

Awood -- I've already received and spent my federal refund.  Waiting on the state refund!

Docket -- good to hear Trixie is making progress!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for leave!!  

N-Bug -- you'll have to post pics of the shoes when they come in!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Awood - I hear ya about the taxes. I just have to hit send but I am struggling wether or not to get an IRA.

Damaris - glad Trixie is getting back to normal.

Bin - enjoy your trip. How are the taxes in your part of the world?

Traci - good to see you're back!

As for me I went to the orthopedist yesterday and had some X-rays . They gave me the gown that you wear backwards and a pair of shorts. So after the pics and the talking to the doc, I change into my street clothes and hurry home. The wife and I were going to karaoke and they have a buffet there. Well after karaoke we went home and took off my street clothes and my wife said "why is there a bar code on your shorts?" I looked down and still had the "X-ray" shorts on! LOL! They are kind of comfy!

So after work I have 5 easy to look forward to - too cold though to wear my new shorts!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hopes Mom - hopefully you're onto something. Maybe the track is the culprit.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Tuesday!  At 6:30 PM yesterday, I did my 21st race race of 2013,  the April Fools 5K, which turned out to be 2.5 miles instead of 3.1 miles.  April Fool's!  Nice turnout for a Monday evening event, over 180 participants.  Also had some 'surprises' along the course.  After work today, I will post my report with photos.    This morning I was up at 5 a.m. and off to the university gym where I plugged out 3.3 miles.  It was VERY humid - 93% and a temp of 71 already at 6 a.m., sheesh -  as we are supposed to get some major thunderstorms/rain in the PM, which is why I opted to do a morning run today.   The Air Force ROTC folks were out running too, so I got to do a mile or so with them. Flashbacks to my own Air Force days!    Today was my 4th running day in a row, and my back is letting me know about it!  Mildly, thank goodness, but still fussing at me.  I usually only do 2 running days in a row, so tomorrow will probably be a rest day.

I don't wanna file our taxes...we are paying this year!  Sad  We are all done with the forms, paperwork, etc, and they're ready to go...we just don't want to mail them yet.

Umm, Awood, what did your renters think when this sweaty guy knocked on their door asking for money?  Joking  "Wilma, get the baseball bat, there's some crazy person at the door...."

Gee, Damaris, even when they are healthy, no cat is ever NORMAL.  Glad Trixie is feeling better.

Congrats on your 5, Bin.  What's 'block" leave?  They let you out of your cell block for a week or so?  Wink

Umm, okay, Vance...enjoy those plaid running shoes when you get them! Big grin  Good luck with yoiur 6 today.

Enjoy your walk, HsM.  We all have one side that is 'dominant' or stronger than the other, to some degree.  My right is my dominant side.  That is why for my weight training circuits, my doc and PT have me do those weight machines where you can do each arm/leg separately, so each side gets an equal workout, the dominant side can't  'help' the weaker side do any of the lifting.

Lol, Gustav.   Umm, yeah, I wouldn't wear X-ray shorts on a run..people might be able to see right through your butt! Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Running on any track can bring issues.  Sounds like you found the answer.

Morning, Penguins!!  I keep pondering my knee issues in the back of my mind, and had a revelation of sorts this morning.  You see, I don't have any problems with my left knee, just my right.  So there must be something different about my right knee -- a different muscle imbalance or something I actually do differently with my right leg when I run.  I've looked at my running footprints in sand before, and I do pretty clearly set my right foot down often with the toes pointed about 30 degrees off parallel, so that's a definite difference.  And on that indoor track run, there were about 40 left turns, which would give me a lot of impetus to set that foot down crooked and push off.  I've wondered about that issue before, and during my walks I've been careful to keep that foot straight, and it does take some intention.  
                      Not that this changes much, but it's a thinking point.  Anyway, another walk today, hopefully it'll be less windy than yesterday, even if it's a bit chillier.  And quartet practice tonight!

Awood -- I've already received and spent my federal refund.  Waiting on the state refund!

Docket -- good to hear Trixie is making progress!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for leave!!  

N-Bug -- you'll have to post pics of the shoes when they come in!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I think there's more to do than "keep your foot straight and stay off the indoor track", though.  I suspect my tendency to twist has probably caused some muscle imbalance.  Once our chorus show and quartet competition are over, I want to start doing yoga a bit more often and consistently than I have been, to stretch things out a little and build some muscle.  Someone on the On The Bench forum mentioned Pfitz' "Coming back from an injury" plan, and when I looked at it, it seemed a bit too aggressive for my taste.  But it started with "Walk until you can walk briskly for an hour with no pain", which did sound like good advice.  It'll be a while before I'm there.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hello Penguins! Funny you mention taxes....that is first up on my agenda for today, my last day of Spring Break. I'm back in NY and finishing up any odds and ends that are needed.

Not sure if I will run today. I am supposed to, but my IT band was bugging me a bit after yesterday's 4 mile run. I have 2 races next weekend so I don't want to push anything. If I don't run I will go to the gym and do the elliptical.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Did a 5k race today at work. It started at 0630. around 200 runners showed up to run it. The race was free and was in support of combating sexual harrassment in the workplace. It was chilly, about 30 degrees at the start. Great race. i had planned on sub 9 minute miles for this one, held an 8:40 avrerage, so nice comfortable pace. It turned out to be 3.44 miles, tad longer that 5k. At the end we all lined up for a photo shoot in the shape of a large ribbon. Local EMS provided the ladder truck so that the shot could be taken from over head. Should be a great photo..  My wife is home filing the PA achool taxes. She will not be a happy camper today.

Philliefan33

Just stopping in to say a quick hello -- work is crazy  this week!  Two customer meetings at the end of the week, and the data isn't looking good.  Managers just can't seem to understand that  inspiration / invention does not always happen on schedule, and sometimes the good ideas just don't pan out.

Should do 8 miles after work tonight.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

HM - I think you are on the right track.  I catch myself running differently on one foot versus the other for various reasons - tight Achilles, stiff angle, etc.  Unless your foot angle is natural you may be compensating in the foot for something else and effecting the knee.  Just a thought.

Gustav - stylin' the Xray shorts - nicely done.  LOL

Scotty - sounds like it was a fun race

Kristin - CURSED IT BAND!  An easy workout today may help.

Bill - a 5k at work - great idea!

PF33 - good luck with that!

AFM - a quick lunch break - and took a look at the course they posted for my 25k.  I thought it was going to be a loop run but it is an out and back.  This will avoid some of the biggest hills, thankfully.  http://snippets.mapmycdn.com/routes/view/175410648