Beginners and Beyond

Just Another Manic Monday Penguins (Read 33 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I was MIA from the forums this weekend..... I will catch you guys up on what I have been up to, and skim through the old dailies to see what you were all up to....

I went to my boyfriend's in MD this weekend. Forumite Di2.0 and I recently figured out she lives a town away from my boyfriend, and we planned to meet up on a trail that is like 15 minutes from my boyfriend's house because she had around 12 miles to run Saturday morning and I wanted to do at least 10. Unfortunately I was up basically all night in GI distress (ugh, super fun when you are at your boyfriend's house) and I still didn't feel good at the time I would have had to leave to meet her so I had to cancel Sad. Hope to meet her another time I am down there though. I finally felt better around 9:00am or so, I took a nap, had a lazy morning on the couch with my bf, and finally around 1:00pm I headed out for 4 miles with the dog. Sunday I tried again for 10. I ran 4 with a woman who lives in my bf's neighborhood who I had met at a race in June, and then continued on by myself (she had done 20 with her MCM training group the day before so only needed a short shake out run). She brought me a salted caramel GU. I have never had a GU, but have been experimenting with some fueling for my upcoming half (before this I had tried Energy Beans a few times) and she wanted me to try this GU business. GUYS! WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME GU IS SO AMAZING!!! I took the salted caremel GU (which was DELICIOUS) at mile 6. And this happened:

Before GU:

After GU:

I was hoping for at least 10. I had miscalculated my route a little and was still about .5 miles from my bf's house when my Garmin beeped for 10, so I tossed around the idea of walking the .5 remaining distance back but I felt GREAT still so I decided to get to 10.5 and see how I felt. GREAT. So I did a few little out and backs by his street to get to 11. I feel very confident about that 11 mile run. It felt really good, and managed to average 11:38 minute miles, and a negative split.

Today is a running rest day but may hit the gym later for some cross training.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Philliefan33

Good morning Kristin.  Sounds like GU is pretty good stuff.  Maybe I should try some GU for my HM in November.

Hi everyone -- I'm back from vacation.  I only did a little running, but I'm mentally refreshed and ready to get back to my training.  As an added bonus, I came home to some nice cool weather.

6 miles at tempo pace planned for after work.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Monday!  Rest day for me after an active weekend:

Saturday:   5K in Austin, supporting a Child Advocates organization.  As the theme was Super Heros, there were lots and lots of costumes.  Link and Photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/3d9b3a6194b749f699de16c08da7b424/resume#focus

Sunday morning:  5K in San Antonio on some local trails, followed by beer and breakfast tacos.  Link and photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/6c164c520301486caecdf272f6cdb26a/resume#focus

Sunday afternoon:  Gail and I went to they Y and did a weight training circuit.

And....Holidays for September 23 are:

White Chocolate Day

Checkers Day

Elephant Appreciation Day

checkers cartoons, checkers cartoon, checkers picture, checkers pictures, checkers image, checkers images, checkers illustration, checkers illustrations

checkers cartoons, checkers cartoon, checkers picture, checkers pictures, checkers image, checkers images, checkers illustration, checkers illustrations

KEYWORD1  1994-06-01  checker cab  checker cabs  checker  checkers  game  games  board game  board g

KEYWORD1  2008-08-26  elephant  elephants  stampede  stampedes  stampeding  zoo  zoos  escape

KEYWORD1  2006-08-12  elephant  elephants  mammal  mammals  animal  animals  computer  computers

KEYWORD1  2003-04-25  computer  computers  technology  software  hardware  harddrive  hard drive  ha

KEYWORD1  2005-01-16  wool  wools  wooly mammoth  wooly mammoths  mammoth  mammoths  animal  animals

mom, candy, halloween,

chocolate cartoons, chocolate cartoon, chocolate picture, chocolate pictures, chocolate image, chocolate images, chocolate illustration, chocolate illustrations

chocolate cartoons, chocolate cartoon, chocolate picture, chocolate pictures, chocolate image, chocolate images, chocolate illustration, chocolate illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Margo and Kristin and Scotty.  I'll try the GU too.  Going to health club after work for some light weight machines, then run #49 with DW.  Feel good after 8 miles yesterday.  Maybe I should do the Nashville HM in November.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!  8 miles tonight.

Kristin, sorry you did not get to meet Diana.  Feel better.  And the Salted Caramel Gu and the PB Gu are the best things ever.

Margo ,hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Scotty, hiya!

Jerry, nice 8.

I cannot believe you guys don't use gels while running.  Or is it just Gu?  They are not my favorite but they have come up with some nice flavors lately.  My favorite is the striped mint candy one (forgot the name) that only comes at Christmas time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Isn't it hard opening the gel and squeezing  the gel out while running?

Docket_Rocket

Not at all.

I don't really like GU; GUs are yuckier than other brands but they are convenient and small enough.  I use Crank e-Gels instead.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Morning, guys!

URD for me. Was in leave but the only reasonable time to run is in the evening before dinner. DW was feeling a little unwell so the short run was put away.

Kristin, pity you don't get to meet Diana. There's always another time.

Damaris, I only dipped my feet into GU when I started running longer for marathon training.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I didn't find it hard, but I slowed to a power walk and took some water with it, since it was my first time, but I think I could probably do it without walking next time.

Isn't it hard opening the gel and squeezing  the gel out while running?

tracilynn

I've never tried Gu or gels either(but my runs aren't that long yet) I was getting a little tired yesterday close to the 8 mile mark but not that bad, I was still able to run the last 2m faster than the first 6.  I see that Gatorade has some new sport chews? Has anyone tried those? Do they do the same thing?

I wanted get up at sunrise and do a few miles in 50 DEGREE AWESOME WEATHER but my kids are killing me with waking at all hours (1am 2am 4am) of the night.  They have colds and are coughing and whiny. I will have to try again tonight. ZZZZzzzz

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I've done runs up to 10 miles with nothing but water, but I figure I may want or need a little boost for my half so I've been experimenting a bit. I would say GU > Energy Beans out of the 2 things I have tried. I think I will bring a GU for my half and take it around mile 7? Experienced people what do you think??? It thankfully caused no tummy troubles thankfully!

Docket_Rocket

Whenever I take gels, I take them every 5 miles.  I think the packet recommends every 45 minutes of running.  Once I pass the 10 mile mark, I start taking them, even though I don't feel I need them for 13 miles.  I think they make a difference in that they keep your energy at normal levels and you don't get down at any point in time.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Nice run Kristin.

I use hammer gels.

For those asking about the foot, I've been ignoring this hot spot for a while.  I have had some good and bad days, but haven't been too bothered even on long runs until this weekend.  The shoes are the same make and model that have treated me well since June 1st.  The hot spot has popped up in other shoes in the past.  My research tells me that the shape of my foot may be contributing.  I was rubbing my foot after my run, and I have a quarter sized callus on the right foot where it hurt really bad.  The left foot and a lighter version that was only slightly uncomfortable.  So, I used a ped egg after my shower and knocked them down a notch.  I've also started moisturizing.  I've had this feeling like there was a pebble in my shoe for a while, and have yet to find anything.

Twelve mile progression run tonight, then I've put together a mini taper for the rest of the week.  Hopefully my foot, sinuses and throat are in good shape by Saturday.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  My last double shift (school and then WW) is today!  The girl who I've been covering for this summer is back and will take over next week. Smile  I have 6 to run when I get home, and I can't flake because I don't want to push too many miles to my weekend since I have a 10K.

When I was in HM training last spring, I tried, GU, GU Chomps, Sports Beans, and Hammer Gels, just to compare flavors and make sure I could tolerate them.  I liked GU the best.  During the race, I think I took one at mile 6 or 7.  I'm mostly following the "train low, race high" philosophy now, though, so I haven't taken any on this training cycle.  I probably only will once or twice, right before my half, to make sure my stomach is still agreeable.  But this time, I'm actually thinking of taking two during my race, probably at miles 4 and 8.  No, I don't need them, but if it gives me any sort of mental edge, that will be worth it!