Beginners and Beyond

In need of some serious motivation (Read 134 times)

RSX

Speaking of motivation I'm not inspired by the Carnival Cruise ads I see over this thread just yet.

Nevrgivup

Were you also maintaining a home, working 24 hours a week as a nurse, taking classes and going to clinical 8 hours a week? I don't mean to sound harsh, so please don't take it the wrong way.  Next semester I go to clinical 16 hours a week. The paperwork I do after that takes hours on top of my exams and writing assignments.  Going through my list of things to do today gives me nausea. Even if I get a quick run in later in between activities, it will be better than no run. I agree that I need to run right now, its just not as much as I'd like to. This too shall pass. I'm almost halfway there. This is all going to be worth it.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I found that running while in grad school was an integral and necessary part of my schedule. I ran in the afternoon after classes every day as a break before dinner and studying. I needed that change of pace and the exercise could revive and revitalize me.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

RSX

Were you also maintaining a home, working 24 hours a week as a nurse, taking classes and going to clinical 8 hours a week? I don't mean to sound harsh, so please don't take it the wrong way.  Next semester I go to clinical 16 hours a week. The paperwork I do after that takes hours on top of my exams and writing assignments.  Going through my list of things to do today gives me nausea. Even if I get a quick run in later in between activities, it will be better than no run. I agree that I need to run right now, its just not as much as I'd like to. This too shall pass. I'm almost halfway there. This is all going to be worth it.

I was maintaining a home working 55-60 hour weeks on average as I mentioned, and most times read a book a month. I did great mentally, but was a wreck phsically as I said. I had more than 1 semester it surprised I never got pnemonia, which came after graduation. Run when/if you can, and kick it up when the program is over. No one says you have to run x amounts of miles a week.

Nevrgivup

I was maintaining a home working 55-60 hour weeks on average as I mentioned, and most times read a book a month. I did great mentally, but was a wreck phsically as I said. I had more than 1 semester it surprised I never got pnemonia, which came after graduation. Run when/if you can, and kick it up when the program is over. No one says you have to run x amounts of miles a week.

Thanks RSX.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

This past year when I started running, DW had kid number 2, I work about 65-70 hrs a week she is about 50-55 a week. She was in grad school. When there were needs for priorities, house cleaning went to the bottom of the list. Cleaning the house ain't fun Smile

Oh and I learned to sleep a lot less.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Take a deep breath, Hilary! You are doing great!! A lot of great advice and venting going on here. I have found that most people that are not familiar with how a nursing programs works, have no idea the stress that it causes, because it's NOT just exams, it's clinical, it's clinical paperwork, it's having to pass theory on a very hard grading scale AND pass clinical. It's HARD and you are balancing great and way better than I am at the time. GO YOU!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

No, I only had a young family and was teaching two classes with the attendant preparation and grading. That was in addition to the full-time load of classes I was taking. I still found time to run 55 mpw. Of course we didn't have the internet or TV to distract me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Hilary, I feel stressed just reading yours (and other's) schedules here.  You've already received some great advice.  I agree with those who have said that you have so much on your plate right now.  You have to prioritize and decide what has to give.  You shouldn't feel pressured to do it all. And 4 days a week of exercise is great!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)