Beginners and Beyond

Can a city have too many races? (Read 160 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/can-city-have-too-many-races

What do you think?

I honestly would think it awesome, or at least be able to partake in a race every other weekend within 50 miles of my house, not so much in the same city (my city doesn't have a whole lot unfortunately, maybe 10 at most). I guess I could understand drivers being annoyed with a race road blocking their way to work, church, home or whatever every weekend.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bobruns

There are tons of races in my area in the winter.  You have your choice of several every weekend.  It gets hard to pick sometimes.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I live in NYC. Our major race organization, NYRR has a pretty decent schedule. Our newer large organization NYC Runs also has quite a bit. And there's a bunch of other random ones you can find too by searching on Active and RunningintheUSA. I bet NYC has a race going somewhere every weekend, and some weekends there are several. I love it!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I live in NYC. Our major race organization, NYRR has a pretty decent schedule. Our newer large organization NYC Runs also has quite a bit. And there's a bunch of other random ones you can find too by searching on Active and RunningintheUSA. I bet NYC has a race going somewhere every weekend, and some weekends there are several. I love it!!

Even with all the races they don't disturb traffic nearly as badly in NYC as Baseball season...just saying.

**Ask me about streaking**

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I did 73 races last year, so obviously my area has lots and lots of events all year round.  I am lucky in that I live in San Antonio and am only an hour away from Austin and between those two cities we get quite a few choices, as well as in the towns between the two cities.

Sometimes it can be a bit annoying having so many choices because there are often two very good events held on the same day, hate it when that happens!  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

We are pretty fortunate here in Southeast Michigan in that once the race season is up and running, there are no less than a dozen races every weekend within a 30 minute drive.

Those are not always in the same city, but many cities here do hold multiple races.

From just skimming the link, it sounds like the problem they have is a good one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

One more reason Evansville sucks Joking Only 2 Half Marathons  a year, 1 Full (except it has been canceled for the last 2 years due to humidity and temperature),  and 18 smaller races, I think a couple of those are new this year. There are a few I didn't see when registering for 2013 races so I might have to take a look at them Smile

There are a few more in Indiana and Northern Kentucky but not much, running groups like GERWC are trying their damnest to get more races around here, and other groups as well. It is slowly picking up, but nothing like Texas, California, etc...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

true story. And most of NYC races are held in parks and

don't require road closures, and since most people take subways it doesn't require parking. NYC Runs does a lotof their runs on Roosevelt Island, too, which has few residents. So NYC can have a ton of races and disturb the lives of very few non-racing residents.

Even with all the races they don't disturb traffic nearly as badly in NYC as Baseball season...just saying.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

I am sure Scotty likes all the available races in his area.

I live in a big city and we have between 2-5 events per weekend all between 20-30 miles away.  More if you include West Palm Beach.  Well, except during the months of May through October because nobody wants to die....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

Man...somma yooz guys are lucky. I have to drive to all my events. Davis was 70 miles, Walnut Creek...110 miles, Oakland...125 miles. I've got some beautiful trails to run up here, but we don't have anything in the way of hosted races.

Better I Leave

Well, I did 73 races last year...

Wow...Impressive my friend. Seriously.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A bigger question is can a city have too many 5K races to the detriment of the other distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sounds like you need to start a race.

Man...somma yooz guys are lucky. I have to drive to all my events. Davis was 70 miles, Walnut Creek...110 miles, Oakland...125 miles. I've got some beautiful trails to run up here, but we don't have anything in the way of hosted races.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Pinktastic

I love Evansville!   Both set of my grandparents lived there.   I spent a lot of holidays and several weeks every summer there!   Sorry for the hijack.   Carry on!

One more reason Evansville sucks Joking

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

RSX

My non-runner friends would say that 1 is too many. My town has around 10 that I know of, and possibly even in the winter I wouldn't have to drive more than an hour to find 1 on a weekend.