Beginners and Beyond

Can a city have too many races? (Read 160 times)

sheepla

I agree with Free Soul.  I can find a 5k every weekend but would love to see more 10ks or higher.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I agree with Free Soul.  I can find a 5k every weekend but would love to see more 10ks or higher.

Yes, it would be nice to find more 10ks or 15ks within 50-100 miles, right now it isn't real bad as my biggest one is a HM but I would love to do those trail ultras where you are out in the wilderness for more than one day or a few hours, but that is a long ways away from me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RSX

People are nutter butters. I feel bad for him, public meetings are horrid. Everyone complains about everything.

I like that they cared enough to ask the community for their thoughts and not just the runners, plus are focused on improving. They also had a # of rude runners who ignored the parking volunteers which I have never heard of.

As far as the # of 5ks, I actually think that it's great because it means more runners. My main running club is thriving and our biggest growth is probably from 5k runners.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

My area has lots of races, mostly 5K's. there's usually at least 2 races a weekend except for the wintertime. I don't mind them being mostly 5K's, I hate longer distances. In towns and stuff, it's probably hard to get the towns' and cities' approval and police assistance and all that for a race that could take up to 2 hours start-to-finish for a 10K and long over 2 hours for a half. That's just not reasonable in terms of road closures and costs for many towns.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Boy, I thought Virginia Beach might have had the most, but looks like some other cities have just as many.  I think the Virginia Beach area must have close to 100 races a year here in the area.  Every weekend of the year, with many weekends having 2 and 3 races on the same day to choose from.

As far as road closures, they make alot of use of parks in this area, and also the beach boardwalk as a race venue as well, which does not impede with any road traffic and does not require any police presence either.  There were over 800 racers at the Polar Plunge 5K on the boardwalk in VB this past weekend, no cops or road closures needed.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞