Beginners and Beyond

Motoactv bite the dust Monday Penguins.. (Read 34 times)

Bin Running

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Motoactv finally died on me... It was a good product but needed a little more work.. The one thing abt this product that keep failing on me is the buttons.. It can absolutely not take any water.. I will habitually run the unit across running tap to rinse off the sweat.. After a few months, the buttons is either non-responsive or in a stuck mode.. I managed to get it changed 2 times due to different buttons failing..

After the 1st exchange, I am more careful with it.. I no longer run it thru running tap.. I will just rinse the strap and use a towel to wipe it.. Still, the buttons fails.. Short of wrapping it in plastic, I am not sure what I can do to protect a sport watch from moisture..

The volume button is acting on and off for abt a month.. Seeing that the warranty is up soon.. I send it in for repair 3 weeks ago.. 1 last time I guess.. I just received a call from customer services that they no longer produce these and would offer me a full refund.. Well, guess I will have to be shopping around..

Rant ends.. 6 M with 2 @ goal completed..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  14 miles done.  I have a migraine and bad nausea so the run was not very good but it was OK at least.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  Possibly a short run today after yesterday's LR.  26 miles last week was most in last 2 months.

Enjoy the Holiday!

Howdy friends.

Saturday I did a 5k. My 1st real one. It was kinda a spur of the moment thing. A parent from school told me about it and I thought, i might be able to do it. I have had a string of not so great runs, so I almost ditched it. It was a small race and there was a 2 mile walk, so I am not sure how many runners there were. I got 3rd in my AG though. I ran 29:03 and I think the course was long. My gps said 3.20 miles. The temp was hot and humid as this town was pretty much on the coast. I was hoping for a low 28, but I figure low 29 isn't bad. My pacing was shitty though. 8:13, 9:16, 9:39, 9:31.

I was also keeping up with my sister who was running a 137 mile relay with a group of people that ended up at freedom tower in NYC. They raises about $30,000 for wounded vets an their families. The organization is called hope for the warriors. It's pretty cool that she likes to run and fund raise.

Later that day we went to see some friends. My buddy was in a fishing tournament and won $5000 with a 28" red drum that was almost 9 lbs.

I could use that $$$ as I get to go buy a couple of ceiling fans and a new ac for a living room today.

Make today great

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Dad on the run.

Hey all. On my way home from the Cotton Row 10k. Had to stop for a potty break.  That running really gets things moving. Since I don't have a magazine I figured I'd just stop in and say hi. Race Report to come later today hopefully.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats to the racers!!!!

I ran today for the first time since my 10K last Sunday. IT band held up just fine!!!! I am at my parents' house for Memorial Day,and did the run with my dad, who is training for his first 5K in late June. We ran 3.3 miles at 11:06 pace.... not too shabby considering I have ran exactly 4 times in the last MONTH due to sickness and then injury and my dad just finished C25K 3 weeks ago Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!  The rain is letting up.  So, I have to get back out in the garden, but I went for my first run with the speedy neighbor yesterday.  It was 9.22 miles, and there was a bit of a process in the beginning.  We were trying to figure out each others pace while probably talking too much.  The first mile was REALLY slow for both of us.  Then it turned into a progression run, and we finished at an 8 min pace.  It felt great, but after doing yard work the rest of the day, I was a bit sore this morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Morning!  Got my 2 TM miles done.  If tomorrow's run goes well, I will ask the PT about adding distance on Wed.

Bin- Sorry about the Motoactiv!  Hope you can find something that works even better.

D- Sorry that the run wasn't great, but good job getting through it.

Jerry- Glad to see you building up again!

T-rod- Congrats on the 5K!  My understanding is that certified 5K courses are certified to be "at least" 5K, so many are slightly long on purpose.  Not saying that your course was certified or anything, but that is one reason a lot of courses read slightly long.

Jimmy- Congrats on the 10K.  Warmup miles work really well for avoiding pit stops during the race. Wink

kristin- Glad you had some good miles today!  Good luck to you and your dad!  I do wonder if at some point you might need to race less often if you want to keep adding distance.  At least, I know I can't do both at the same time.

Awood- Sounds like you've been having a great weekend!

Dad on the run.

Zelanie - Not sure if you misunderstood me or perhaps you were just making a generalized statement but I didn't have to stop during the race, just on the way home from the race Smile The race actually went very very well and am super excited about writing my RR later this evening. In fact I have to say this was probably the most enjoyable race to date.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Zelanie... the plan is not to race anything all out til my October half marathon. My 10K last weekend was supposed to be the last for 5 months. I think I need a redemption 10K in July though. I planned to pace my dad for our June 5K. With the rate of his progress though, he may end up pacing me lol!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Zelanie

Zelanie - Not sure if you misunderstood me or perhaps you were just making a generalized statement but I didn't have to stop during the race, just on the way home from the race Smile The race actually went very very well and am super excited about writing my RR later this evening. In fact I have to say this was probably the most enjoyable race to date.

Oh, OK, I thought you were saying that you had to stop DURING the race!  Glad that wasn't the case.

Kristin- I think that's wise.  It sounds like you have a lot of race options in your area, which is great, but must be tough to resist.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My 20 week HM plan allows for races as speedwork replacement but no all out efforts. Which I am ok with. I am able to restrain myself and do races for fun if there are races I really want to do. The 10K was my last race effort before the plan starts. But a 10K redemptionmayyyy happen

Oh, OK, I thought you were saying that you had to stop DURING the race!  Glad that wasn't the case.

Kristin- I think that's wise.  It sounds like you have a lot of race options in your area, which is great, but must be tough to resist.

GinnyinPA

Bin - I'm sorry the Motoactive failed, but at least they're giving you a refund.  My husband ended up with similar problems on an altimeter watch once.  The buttons kept breaking off, so he'd replace it, for free.  Eventually they stopped making that model.

Damaris - sorry about the migraine.  Do they happen often?  Good job getting in a long run anyway.  You are a tough lady.

Tomas - that's a good time for a hot humid day.  Third in age group too!  That's great.  How far was your sister's part of the relay?

Jerry - it's good that you're getting your mileage up again, but don't you start tapering soon?

Jimmy - I'm glad you had a good time at the 10k.  Looking forward to the RR.

Kristin - were you the inspiration for your dad starting to run?  I'm glad you're feeling better.  You have time to race a 10k and recover before your HM training gets too serious.  But you'll need to increase the miles a bit first, I think.

Zelanie - it looks like you're about ready to increase mileage a bit.  I hope the PT agrees.

Awood - That sounds like a good run.  The only time I've run with anybody was in a race, and that was more a matter of passing or being passed.

AFM:  After walking the dog and mowing the lawn, I think I'm done for the day.  I thought I'd do a short run outside, but I'm really not in the mood to tackle the hills today.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very 'productive' holiday weekend of running for me:

My Saturday morning 5K got flooded out and canceled, but I also had a night time 5K on Saturday  which started at 8:30 PM and that went well.  Report and photos here:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/0a5eba6bb28f4059b692604f14c48ac8#focus

12 hours later -  8:30 a.m.  - I was at Randolph Air Force Base and put in a bit over 3 miles doing an easy recovery run. Right after I finished, it started raining again!  As if San Antonio didn't get enough rain in the last two days - over 12 inches!  I saw on CNN  they are now showing some of our flooded streets, etc.  On a sad note, a young teenager - 18 years old I think - was a fatality after he slipped into the flooded Cibolo creek and went under.  He was found the next day.  Really feel for his family.

Monday morning, Gail kicked me out of the house so she could clean house without me underfoot.  So I went to one of the city YMCAs, using that as my 'base' and then ran through Brackenridge Park, a local park by the San Antonio Zoo.  This park has trails and roads that go alongside part of the San Antonio River, which flows through the park.  As I ran along, I noticed the river water was still really high!  Part of the park sidewalk was under water, several picnic tables had just the top of the tables showing, and the small footbridge I normally use to get across from one side of the park to the other was totally underwater too.  So I had to follow the road all the way around to the other side of the park, then climb a couple of hills, then cut through the campus of Trinity University to get back to the Y.   Made for a bit of a longer run than my planned easy 3.   My 3rd straight day of running so I thought my legs would be nagging at me with this route, but they actually felt pretty good. Ended up with 3.7 miles and then played a bit on the rock-climbing wall after I got back to the Y.

I plan on being totally lazy for the rest of this Memorial Day!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt