Beginners and Beyond

SkyDive Ultra: Free Fall to the Starting Line (Read 30 times)

PADRunner

A hell of a way to start a race. I'm surprised you didn't run it D!

SkyDive Ultra: Free Fall to the Starting Line

Cyberic

One of the comments below:

Thos people are crazy! I wouldn't risk my life by going to Florida!

LOL

happylily

One of the comments below:

Thos people are crazy! I wouldn't risk my life by going to Florida!

LOL

Too funny...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

The RD is friend of mine actually. This is too far from me to run it and it fell right after Disney so it's always a conflict. But the race and the RD are awesome.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

I have two problems with this thread; skydive, and ultra.  Other than that it's great. 

Docket_Rocket

I have two problems with this thread; skydive, and ultra.  Other than that it's great. 

You actually can run the races without the skydive and there is a Hm, full, 50K, 50 miler. Everything for everybody.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

You actually can run the races without the skydive and there is a Hm, full, 50K, 50 miler. Everything for everybody.

Oh yeah? Well fried hot dogs are just as good as fried baloney if you know what you're doing.

GinnyinPA

A couple of hours before I read this thread, I was reading a story in Readers Digest about a parachute jump where the chute didn't open correctly.  I used to think it would be fun to do this - no longer.

PADRunner

A couple of hours before I read this thread, I was reading a story in Readers Digest about a parachute jump where the chute didn't open correctly.  I used to think it would be fun to do this - no longer.

And there's this...

Amazing Video Shows Plane Narrowly Missing Skydivers in Mid-Air.

happylily

That was scary!

Cy has a great video of himself skydiving. I wish he were not so shy and showed it here.

No more marathons

You are more likely to be killed by bee stings or being hit by lightening.  Well, not really - more people will die from those things each year but then more people are exposed to those.  IIRC - there are about 20 to 30 skydiving fatalities in the US each year, or about one death for every 20,000 skydives.  Those are actually pretty good odds.

DW and I used to skydive in Florida back in the late 80's and I can say it is an exhilarating sport.  Yes, we had a couple of moments of unexpected drama (DW had a jump where she had to go to her reserve chute and I had broken steering lines that caused me a few anxious moments) but what a thrill.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

That was scary!

Cy has a great video of himself skydiving. I wish he were not so shy and showed it here.

DW and I have one of the two of us, but it's on a VHS.  Maybe some day I'll get it converted to digital and post it on youtube.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Hip Redux

happylily

DW and I have one of the two of us, but it's on a VHS.  Maybe some day I'll get it converted to digital and post it on youtube.  

Yes!

Oski, lol....

You are more likely to be killed by bee stings or being hit by lightening.  Well, not really - more people will die from those things each year but then more people are exposed to those.  IIRC - there are about 20 to 30 skydiving fatalities in the US each year, or about one death for every 20,000 skydives.  Those are actually pretty good odds.

DW and I used to skydive in Florida back in the late 80's and I can say it is an exhilarating sport.  Yes, we had a couple of moments of unexpected drama (DW had a jump where she had to go to her reserve chute and I had broken steering lines that caused me a few anxious moments) but what a thrill.

Maybe so, but you have 100% chance of FALLING THROUGH THE SKY FROM A TREMENDOUS HEIGHT. That kind of thrill I can do without.

Dave